Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Cage Progress

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
I just handed my persuasive letter to my Mum. It is in her hands right now, my six months of work and research is on the line. I spent all day writing the letter. It was about trying to persuade her to let me use another room for my bunny, as my bathroom, which she wants it to stay in, only accommodates a 1 x 3.

My bunny is currently living in a store bought cage about a grid and a half in length. As soon as she accepts my idea, I will assemble my cage. I have all of the grids and connectors that I purchased off CraigsList last weekend. For $50 I got 44 grids, 50 connectors, 4 sheets of coroplast, a ramp, and some plastic sheets. Most say I got the best deal ever, and so thought myself, until I discovered that the seller had covered a few rips on the edges of the coroplast with duct tape as to appear that is was holding the separate sheets of coroplast together. Fortunately, as she used it for 2 ( 3 x 6 ) cage bases, I just neatly cut off the ends. After that, I had a three hour session of peeling off all of the stubborn packing tape, as I wanted to replace it and it also had dog hair underneath and everything. After that, I spent an hour using GlueGone on all of the stubborn leftover sticky parts of the tape. Now it is still sitting in my hallway needing cleaning with the 50/50 vinegar and water solution. As for the grids and connectors, I washed all of the connectors individually as they were not in bad shape. For the grids, I am about 1/4 of the way done cleaning out of the 44 grids total. I filled my bathtub with dish soap and soaked them for about 10 mins, then washed them in the shower. I still have about 30 to still wash. The ramp was in good shape, and shall be easy to clean.

What I wrote to her about is letting me use the guest room, which accommodates a 2 x 5, as my bathroom only fits a 1 x 3. I listed all of the benefits and that I had been researching this for the past six months, etc. She has read the note by now, and I am hoping for an successful outcome tomorrow morning. I hope this works! :)

juldga

Cavy Slave
I just built my C7C cage last night. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. First putting the grids together was a huge pain so I went and bought zip ties. Then The stupid stupid coroplast... I measured like 5 times and I still had to score it 4x. IT is covered in tape LOL

I would have so totally bought a cage if I would have known it was this hard.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Good luck @HappyHopperz and let us know the results! Remember even if she does say no, remain calm and prepare for wearing her down with your charm.:cheerful:

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Is your rabbit trained? Could you just keep him in the bathroom with the store cage opened all times for a litter box and food area? I did that when I was in high school. My rabbit had free range of the bathroom and I only let him out into my main bedroom when I was home, he was an awful wire eater. If the bathroom opens into your room, as mine did, then you could just put a baby gate in front of the door to keep him inside but not closed in. It's just a suggestion in case she says no. =D

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your suggestion! :) I felt real bad for him, so I took off the top of his cage and put his wire playpen all around the bathroom and in front of the toilet so he could not get behind there. Lol :) He couldn't even fully stretch out in his cage so I gave him a bit of free roam. He is about 75% litter trained, in his cage he does excellent with his pee in the box bit there is the occasional few droppings that are kicked out. When he is allowed more room, he does most of his stuff out of his box, except for the pee, (Thank Goodness!) but is probably too excited to run around and take advantage of the extra space that he doesn't want to go in the box, lol. Thank You! :)

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Well, how did operation "guest bedroom" turn out?

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
She asked me a couple questions about it, "Would we have to move the bed ?", but everything fits. I asked her to reply via note, but I think I will change my mind and talk to her about it tonight. She said she would consider it, and did not say a big fat "NO" right in front of my face (whew!). I took a big step today, and it might even be successful! If the conversation tonight works, then I'll be sure to post the results. Also, tomorrow, I am planning to go buy some heavy duty plastic to go under the cage is she agrees today. I believe I will have an answer in an hour or so, maybe an hour 45 mins, so just hang around. I've got my fingers crossed! :D Also, yesterday's letter turned out into a double sided normal sized paper sheet! She is calling me now, but I will post numerous updates as we go along in the next couple hours. Thanks!

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
Also, I will be in chat in about 15 mins. Okay by you? :)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Good! I hope things go well!

HappyHopperz

Cavy Slave
I'm coming on chat, my computer is being a pig starting up as I cannot access it from my iPad which I am currently on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.