PDA

View Full Version : First Time!

Clovers
12-17-11, 04:54 pm
I took my guinea pig, Bear, outside for the first time today :) ! I brought his blanket out with him so there would be something familiar and he stayed on that for a while and once he got off and started eating the grass, he was so happy. I'm planning on getting one of those leashes for guinea pigs so I can walk him around the house so he could see more and not be restricted. I have heard that these leashes are too loose and don't fit. Have you ever used a leash for your guinea pig? did it work? Any good (or bad) experiences? Thank you!

ellisa
12-17-11, 05:02 pm
That's so cute that he loved his first experience outside! Unfortunately, leashes are not good for guinea pigs. A pig does not have a flexible spine like a dog or cat does. If your piggie is on the leash and decides to run away quickly, the leash would pull on his back and possibly break it. Therefore, leashes are not for guinea pigs, even though the package may say it is. If you look around the forum there are some awesome ideas for playpens! You could set up a playpen for him so he could run around inside or outside in a safe area! I bet he would love that! :)

Clovers
12-17-11, 05:30 pm
Thanks but I meant one of thoose leashes made for guinea pigs and ferrets with this little harness it's so adorable. But, I have heard that they are sometimes too loose and it doesn't fit them correctly?

ellisa
12-17-11, 05:34 pm
Yes, that is what I'm talking about too. It says its made for guinea pig and other small animals, but it's not. They are cute but they are a waste of money and can damage your piggie's spine. Most products sold in petstores marketed for guinea pigs are bad for them. They can be too loose and then you lose your pig, or they can restrict movement and break your pig's back. I just don't want your piggie to be injured.

Edit: Do a simple forum search and you will find out tons of info on why they are bad for guinea pigs.

ellisa
12-17-11, 05:40 pm
Here's the thread by Ly http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/accessories/42852-do-not-ever-use-these-cavies.html

Kstyle
12-17-11, 05:45 pm
I have quickly learned not to trust pet stores - Petsmart, Petco, etc... They market alot of unsafe piggy items. It is unfortunate but true. This forum has really helped me in making purchases for the safety of my pigs!

guineapig_girl1
12-17-11, 05:55 pm
I didn't read the other replys, but my GPs won't walk with them on. I just take the wire from my cage and put them out for a while. They have lots of fun. Make sure there is water for them, and if there is outdoor cats or other predators around don't leave them unattended. :)

ellisa
12-17-11, 06:03 pm
I have quickly learned not to trust pet stores - Petsmart, Petco, etc... They market alot of unsafe piggy items. It is unfortunate but true. This forum has really helped me in making purchases for the safety of my pigs!

It's sad but it's very true. Petstores and companies only care about making money. Most companies don't care if their products harm your pet, and petstores will tell customers anything to make a sale. Then customers buy products thinking they are perfectly safe for their pets, and it actually ends up hurting or even killing their furry family members. It's the sad reality of what the pet industry has become :sad:

CavyMama
12-17-11, 06:43 pm
Ditto what the others have said. Leashes and harnesses, although marketed for guinea pigs (and sometimes rabbits) are definitely NOT good for guinea pigs. Guinea pigs have a delicate spine that can easily be damaged by such items.

It's nice that you could get your pig outside for some grass and fresh air but being on a harness is unsafe and unnatural for guinea pigs. Many items that pet stores sell for certain animals (small animals, in particular) are not good for them. Yogurt drops, exercize balls/wheels, honey treats - all marketed for guinea pigs and even have pictures of guinea pigs on the package but none are good for guinea pigs.

Clovers
12-17-11, 06:45 pm
Thank you all so much for the help! I think I will try to get more cubes and make a nice play area for him!