Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How to get my piggy to enjoy floor time??

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
go_ellie

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
I've always sprinkled around various foods they like but don't get enough of (wheat grass) to encourage my pigs to explore. That, and new tunnels and such get mine going, but I'm realizing more and more that mine are probably the exception to the rule and just like to explore.

...sometimes I wonder if sitting around being goofy and pooping aren't the highlights of a pig day lol

ETA: Another toy that gets my pigs moving is a plastic cat ball with holes in it, filled up with pellets. My pigs nose those around the floor and snack on the pellets that fall out forever.

zaylea

Cavy Slave
I've always sprinkled around various foods they like but don't get enough of (wheat grass) to encourage my pigs to explore. That, and new tunnels and such get mine going, but I'm realizing more and more that mine are probably the exception to the rule and just like to explore.

...sometimes I wonder if sitting around being goofy and pooping aren't the highlights of a pig day lol

ETA: Another toy that gets my pigs moving is a plastic cat ball with holes in it, filled up with pellets. My pigs nose those around the floor and snack on the pellets that fall out forever.

The cat ball thing is brilliant! My pigs have cat balls they like to nose around. I bet they'd love it even more with pellets. I ordered some (broken link removed) the other day to build them a maze for floor time.

Kieri

Cavy Slave
my pigs like to do this thing where they relax while out on floor time, occasionally running and roaming, but as soon as i stick them back in their cage they suddenly have a burst energy. this is unless i find ways to stimulate them.

provide your pigs with random objects they can explore. i keep my pigs' travel kennel out in my living room, moving it around every so often so they feel the need to find it and climb in and out of it.

my pigs love to get into things they aren't allowed to be in, such as school bags or laundry. i make a game out of it. when they jump into a bag or bundles of clothing, i pull em out and place them across the room. they'll do anything to get back into the clothing or bag, such as sneaking around the living room then charging towards the bag/clothing.

i've heard guinea pigs love to run through tunnels, but i haven't purchased any so i'm not sure.

zaylea

Cavy Slave
i've heard guinea pigs love to run through tunnels, but i haven't purchased any so i'm not sure.

My pigs have 4-5 different tunnels in their cage and every morning I rearrange them all and they dart around chubbling and running through them.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
A quick, easy tunnel: bend a grid to a 90 degree angle, and drape with fleece. Viola! :)

Kieri

Cavy Slave
ahh great! i'll have to invest in some. what are some stores i can buy inexpensive but safe tunnels? what materials should i avoid? i know petsmart has some, but they are ~$16 or so, which seems ridiculous to me.

zaylea

Cavy Slave
I have 2 tunnels made of fleece I got on etsy. My other 2 tunnels are fiddle sticks (well, one is the colored superpets kind, and another is a natural wood version from Petco.)

Edit: I wanted to add that it's super easy to make a tunnel out of fleece. Even if you don't do a very good job on the cuff in terms of making it stay open, the pig won't care. She'll dig her way into it anyway.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Oh wow, those are cool fleece tunnels, especially for only $10.

And I'm stealing that corner fleece forest idea and making one for my pigs, tonight!

Kieri

Cavy Slave
wonderful! i made little cozies for my pigs and they loved bundling up into them, except i didn't use a sewing machine so they fell apart after a few washes. i'll have to remake them and try to make some tunnels.

zaylea

Cavy Slave
Oh wow, those are cool fleece tunnels, especially for only $10.

And I'm stealing that corner fleece forest idea and making one for my pigs, tonight!

Yeah, her fleece forests are pretty awesome. I have the cow patch one and matching tunnel because I liked it so much and I couldn't find cow patch fleece at Joann's.

stacy97006

Cavy Slave
Mine hate it too they just sit there and pee and poop and then lay in it!! Gross

go_ellie
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.