Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is this cruel?

widallas

Cavy Slave
Good grief...it looks like a skit from MAD TV..... At no time have I ever been admiring my piggies and thought to myself, "Gee, I bet they'd look cute dressed up as a vampire or bumblebee." And I am good with that. That being said, they might be VERY spoiled and happy little cavies, who's to say.

slap_maxwell said:

Setsuna

Cavy Slave
Oh Pshaw! ^^ It's silly, but it dosent hurt the piggys or anything. She even says on the site that they are meant for short term use, like only for a photograph. People have been dressing up thier dogs and cats for ages. Actually, ive wondered before if it might be a good idea to give piggys who have bald spots, or skinny pigs, little sweaters to help protect them from chills.

:D That Pirate outfit is CUTE!!!!

Marlania

Cavy Slave
Well, at least she makes the point that they're meant for short-term use. I do have to admit...I cracked up when I saw the turkey costume.

All4Cavies

Cavy Slave
I think they're adorable. It's not like she puts them into the costume and forces them to live in them. I would probably do something like that to take pictures for a christmas card or any other holiday. I think it's creative and cute. It's not like she's hurting them.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
I've seen that website before and always thought of it as cruel. Animals just aren't made for clothes. Dogs can have coats but I think people go too far. I highly doubt the guinea pigs feel happy in those costumes.

Trixie

Cavy Slave
I think it is cute and can't see anything wrong with it. I used to dress up my cats when I was younger with my doll clothes. Never hurt them and they never stopped coming around so must not of been that bad for them.
You can tell she cares dearly for her piggies or she wouldn't of stated that it is for short term use only. And to make sure that they fit loosely. I just might order a couple for my girls for pictures.. :)

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Hmm I suppose it isn't that bad really... I like the ladybird one.

Teria

Cavy Slave
I tend to think it's idiotic but I must admit the pigs look cute in those costumes. Then again, pigs ALWAYS look cute. But no piggy on the pictures seems to fight or be in bad condition, so I believe that they are very tame and trusting. So dressing up may not be that bad for them, and if it's only for a picture, fine. I like the pirate costume, too, but the bikini pic is hilarious - if you think about where a pig's nipples are and how the costume would have to look to cover them "right".

If my piggies wouldn't fight such things to the death, I'd probably make them hats. Hats looks great on pigs. *G*

stipma

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I think they're cute.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I think it is cruel.. they already have their own fur coat they don't need stupid outfits like that. It is clear from some of those pictures that the guinea pigs are very uncomftable. I also wouldn't put outfits like that on a dog.. a small jacket to keep them warm or a jumper yes.. but not stupid outfits like bikini's etc.

I used to dress my cat up when I was about 5 in my dolls clothes too. The amount of scratches I got! It is cute but cruel.

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
I don't exactly think it is creul, but i doubt the piggies are enjoying it much.

But, when i saw the vampire and the ballerina, it made my day.

I am seriously thinking about making a cavy coat just like the one she is selling. It is probably pretty easy and would allow my pigs to be able to be outside when it is breezy (they hate the wind)

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
Those outfits are a bit over the top. Some of them look very restrictive.

The most we do is a little tiara or crown on top of the piggie's head.

Guinea pigs already wear clothes. It's commonly called "fur".

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
I believe that by forcing them to wear clothes and dressing them up that much you are just using them like a toy.]

edit: But that taira chad is beautiful! That kind of dressing up is fine.. simple but nice!

zakfoxmom

Cavy Slave
While it does not seem to be harming the piggies physically, I would think that is must be pretty humiliating for them. I do think that its pretty funny and a tiny bit cute but I would never do that to my piggies. That being said I have to admit that when I was first pregnant with our son, my husband and I bought a baby outfit and tried it on our cat Dave to see what it looked like. It did not hurt him but I could tell he was a bit embarrassed and afterward had to go start a fight with a dog to make himself feel macho again. He did win the fight.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I think the little hats are adorable (particularly the nurse hat, since I"m a nurse). The rest of the costumes, I think would just be too difficult to use. I don't think my pigs would stand for being stuffed into them. I think they're cute, though.

The Magic Taco

Cavy Slave
It's not cruel.
It's not like holding them by one of their feet and dangling them over a cliff.
THATS CRUEL.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
They are animals, not toys to play dress up!

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
I don't think it's cruel. I'm sure the pigs arn't in pain. I think it's very cute.

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
While this may be uncomfortable for the piggies. I truly cannot say that it is cruel. Cruel is a strong word and should be used in instances of abuse, negligence and maltreatement. We can't go around calling everything cruel or sooner or later nobody will listen anymore. This is harmless fun, so long at it is only for a short-period of time. I use to dress my cats and dogs up all of the time and I would never consider myself cruel. While I agree that pets are toys, they are meant to amuse us in some ways, or else what would be the point. Personally, I think this is a great idea for something like christmas cards and such.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.