Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Greetings from PrincessPeanutsMommy!

PrincessPeanut

Cavy Slave
Hello,

We are planning on bringing home our little piggie in a few days for Christmas. My daughter is a very mature 6 1/2 and has been asking for a pet for the past year. I'm also excited to have a cutie to cuddle with when she's not being held by my daughter, lol. I look forward to coming here for advice and ideas to keep our piggie healthy and happy. I bought an extra large cage for our piggie from the advice I've gotten so far and although it was originally meant for a rabbit, I'm happy I spend the extra money to get a larger living space. It's going to be a very special Christmas here. Happy holidays everyone!

PrincessPeanutsMommy

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome!

Congratualtions on your decision to add a guinea pig to your life, they truly are wonderful pets. Where did you get your cage from, and would you happen to know the dimensions? I ask because if you spent a lot of money for a commercial cage you could save yourself a lot of that money and construct your cage using the directions on this site and simple, cheaper supplies.

Have you picked out a piggy yet? If so, where did you find him/her? If you haven't yet found the right pet for you and your family, you should check out this website: www.petfinder.com You can search for adoptable guinea pigs in your area who are in guinea pig rescues and looking for a forever home. When I adopted my first pigs I was surprised by how well socialized they already were.

Did you know that guinea pigs are remarkably social animals? If your family has the space, your experience with your pigs will be much more exciting watching your pigs personality flourish around its friend. And, if you choose you only want one pig, many rescues have pigs that love to live alone with only human friends.

Best of luck with your future pet(s)! Be sure to share photos of the addition whenever available.

PrincessPeanut

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the reply! I am looking into adopting from our local shelter--I've checked out petfinder this past week. It looks like there are a few piggies at our counties shelter, I just need to drive there as it's quite a drive away. I saw posts on the C & C cages, but I'm afraid I will not have the time to locate the materials and put it together in time for Christmas--I'm in grad school and have a few other commitments right now, so that wasn't an option for me. Perhaps, if we decide to put another cage upstairs, I will try to make it then. The pictures on here of the cages are inspiring!
I am curious about the fleece bedding--it sounds like an economical way to provide warmth and softness for the piggie. Do they not need the bedding to burrow and play with? If so, I will be locating some fleece very soon! I love that you can decorate for the different seasons that way :D

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Fleece is not necessary, but it is easy on the eye, soft on the piggy feet, and a favorite of some around here. It will also save you money in the long run, as loose bedding costs build up. They don't need to burrow (though they love to run around in their hay!), and it is best to keep the fleece down so that they don't burrow beneath it and make a mess.

You can make various accessories out of fleece (cozies, cuddle cups, tunnels, fleece forests, etc.) that are warm and soft and your pigs will love to sleep on.

Thanks for considering adoption and have fun! Joanns fabric stores have had some good fleece sales recently. Be sure to get 100% polyester, anti-pill fleece, and wash/dry 3 times with no fabric softener/drier sheets prior to use to make sure it wicks properly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.