Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Cookie is missing part of a toe.

zaylea

Cavy Slave
I noticed my piggies' toe nails are getting a bit sharp/long and thought it was time to trim them. Cookie is young and wiggly, so I had my boyfriend hold her while I clipped her nails. This was the first time I was able to get a good look at her feet. On one of her front feet, her 2nd toe has no nail, looks like it missing part of the knuckle, and is basically just a stump. It doesn't look like the nail got ripped out and just never grew back, like part of the toe is actually missing.

Has anyone seen this before? I guess what I'm wondering is if it's a birth defect or an old injury. However, there's only so "old" the injury could be since she's < 6 wks old.

go_ellie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

lemonham

Cavy Slave
You might want to take her to the vet! My Penelope is missing a toe too! It might have been from a wire-bottom cage and it getting caught.
I had to bring Penelope in for her URI when I adopted her at 3 weeks and the vet squeezed a ton of puss out of her toe stub and said that if it had gone on being infected longer the infection could get into the bone. She just had to go on Bactrim for two weeks. Now she is all healed.
IMG_3456.jpg
This is a picture of her toe stub when it was infected.
IMG_3494.jpg

zaylea

Cavy Slave
Poor Penelope! :(

I did take Cookie to the vet about a week ago for a URI, but the vet probably did not notice (although he did look at her feet - maybe it's nothing serious so he didn't say anything?) It doesn't look swollen or anything.

lemonham

Cavy Slave
Poor Penelope! :(

I did take Cookie to the vet about a week ago for a URI, but the vet probably did not notice (although he did look at her feet - maybe it's nothing serious so he didn't say anything?) It doesn't look swollen or anything.

I'm so glad that Cookie saw a vet and everything is ok! Plus if she's on any meds for the URI that should take care of any infection that was in the toe.
Glad to know that Penelope has another toe-less friend out there. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.