Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Pea Eye Appearing Suddenly?

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Last night while feeding my two guineas, both aged 5, so getting up there, I noticed one of their eyes seems to be "droopy".
It looks like there's a tiny abscess just below the eye, pushing the eyelid down, and exposing the pink area just below it.

On guinea lynx, it said it's inherited, but it seems to have come out of no where. Do I have anything to worry about?
https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html
L
ooks like the picture next to the pea eye article. At least, I think it belong to the pea eye section?

Thanks in advance

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
If you read further down on the page, you will find that pea eye can be caused by health problems associated with fluid retention, and is not always inherited. Are either of these heart pigs?

Can you post any pictures? I can't be of much help, I only work with human eyes, but I'm sure others have dealt with it. Since it is just now showing up, a vet visit may be prudent.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If it developed suddenly, there's a chance it's not pea eye. My bunny developed tiny abscesses on her lower and upper lids of one eye. I would have it checked out.

It's possible it's been developing slowly and you just now noticed it. Some of my senior pigs have gotten them, sometimes one eye, sometimes both.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.