Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi! :)

piggypower123

Cavy Slave
Yesterday my family adopted two guineas, Robert and Pixie. They are estimated to be about 2 years old and are spayed/neutered. Robert will be a major cuddler when he warms up to us. He's already allowed me to stroke him a little. Pixie is dominant, but she's the female which I find a little unusual. She's skittish, but we're working with her. As I'm typing this, they're scampering around their cage and chutting. Pixie was popcorning for a few minutes. I consider that our first success on the way to getting them settled in. :eek:ptimist:

I have a few questions, though. What are some ideas for homemade toys? I've already stuffed some socks with bedding, which Robert pushes around. We also purchased a cozy and treat box, as well as the basics. I'd like to make more toys so we can switch them around. Also, how much floor time do they need a day? We haven't been able to get them out of the cage yet but I know that we need to soon.

I will post some pictures soon. Any advice with be appreciated. Thanks!

Mimi59

Cavy Slave
That is AWESOME! So glad to hear your family adopted. :) There is a list of great homemade toys to make! Since I have pine cone trees around, I bake the pine cones in the oven for 20 minutes to sterilize (take away sap) them take out the pointy ends with tweezers and just a great chewing toy. I got all the ideas right from this site.https://www.guineapigcages.com/toys.htm

F
or floor time whenever you guys are not busy just take them out it can be from 10 minutes to an hour just depending on your day! For instance if I miss a day of free time, the next day I let my piggies have about 2 hours of playtime since I skipped a day. the main reason for floor time is so they can exercise and have more to run around.

Also a quick idea for hay is get a shoe box throw out the lid then make like a square cut on the shoe box for an easy hay box! Since GP's are super messy with hay and it can get everywhere! By having the shoe box it keeps the cage cleaner and easier for the piggie to eat! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.