Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What to do with those useless cages after the switch

P

phoohbear69

What to do with those useless cages after the switch

What are some people doing with there old cages. I went from 5 store bought cages to 2 c&c cage. What do I do with the old ones. Also what ideas do you have for left over cubes?

L

Laura0626

Play Pen

You can try using zipties and attaching the grids together with them. That way you can make a collapsible playpen!

Laura, Pumpkin, and Nikki

L

Laura0626

PS

You can add on to your original cage:
fun1.jpg
This picture was uploaded from https://www.guineapigcages.com/images/fun1.jpg

Laura, Pumpkin, and Nikki

C

CavySong

Donate the old cages...

to a local shelter or small animal rescue. They can use them as quarentine/hospital cages or for overflow if needed.

Attachments

IMG_1937.jpg
I

IMACAVYLOVER

Re: Donate the old cages...

We still use our cages for our males, even after buying a "Guinea Pig Palace!" I will get a picture of the cages to you all soon-

C

cosmotrek

Give 'em!

I breed cavies. What better way to convince a friend willing to take one but low on $$ to give them a cage so all they have to buy is the water bottle, litter, and food for $10-15, instead of nearly $50 if you add a store-bought cage?

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: Give 'em!

cosmotrek,
Why do you breed cavies????
You shouldn't be!

C

cosmotrek

Why I Breed

I know the reasons not to breed, because there are ones at the shelter. That's a pretty good reason, but not enough to convince me. There's thousands of orphanages to adopt kids, but people still have their own kids. Yes, thats to continue their own blood lines, but here's reasons I'll breed my pet:

1. I get to know the exact birthday of my guinea pigs, instead of a guessed age

2. I know the history of the guinea pig's health, and know they've always been in a clean cage.

3. My guinea pigs are happier that they can live natural lives without their bodies being mutilated.

4. The people I give piggies to know the health history of the parents. (somewhat related to #2)

5. The enjoyment factor of watching babies explore and learn.

Those are strong enough reasons for me. I've read how to breed them, and so far have resulted with 5 very healthy baby piggies, and one runt.

S

semcavylover

breeding

Breeding does not always result in happiness. Death happens to! How are you able to know their exact bloodline, their generations go back a lot longer than a humans. What does an exact birthday mean? It doesn't determine how much you love them. Choose one excellent day out of the year to hold a party for the kids. It's always great to watch an animal learn and explore--old dogs can learn new tricks you know--with the right amount of love and attention. Why not try to save the gps that are about to be mutilated or made as snake food? You take away from an older pigs happier home. However, this is America, and if you wish to breed go ahead, but be prepared for the consequences and only blame yourself for the losses.

C

cosmotrek

Consequences? Oh come on now.

Also, Are you absolutely sure that I live in the U.S.A. ?

Its obvious we have opposite opinions, but thats what the forums are all about. You can adopt, I can breed, we both have our ways to justify our ways, and thats perfectly fine.

Now, to get back on to the original topic (because this breeding convo really belongs in another forum):

I guess another use of the old piggie homes is to use as an outdoor cage for the summertime, or maybe as a temporary holding area for when you clean your C&C cage! Think spring home! :)

Attachments

1381717_628725223844498_496022099_n.jpg
S

Scooby Doo

BREEDING IS SOMEWHAT BAD! (and good)

If you start to breed guinea pigs or any pet I think it is wise to go to lacal shelters and see all the pets that people carelessly leave or abandon there because that could be where your little piggy or pet you breed ends up. And if you see the kind of pet you want to breed there buy it. It makes no sense to me to to buy one at a pet store if you can go to a shelter and save one that is close to dying.

S

Scooby Doo

Sorry. I just had to say that.

To respond to your 1st question, you could donate them to shelters.

Attachments

20131105_221617.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.