Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ello!

supertrooper15

Cavy Slave
Well... I'm not entirely sure about what to put in this introduction thingy..
My name's Kat. No piggy yet (I don't have Mum completely sold on it yet.. as soon as she holds one, I'm pretty sure she'll be on board ❤️) but I joined hoping I could get some pointers from more experienced cavy owners. (I figure it'd be better to start learning everything now, then once I get my piggies.)
My sister and I were planning on getting two guinea pigs (one for each of us.) :love: As soon as we get our cavvies (cavvys? Cavi? cavviesessses?) we'll be posting pics of the hutch, them, and about every cute or fun thing we do with them. If you have any good starter tips, please tell me.
I want to do this right :eek:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

A good place to start is by reading the Home page on this site (the button above) and Guinea Pig Education, Care, Rescue and Adoption at Cavy Spirit. Both have excellent information about guinea pigs.

Also, we'd like to encourage you to adopt pigs from a shelter or rescue rather than buying them. If you'll post the name of the city you're closest to, we'll be happy to help you find suitable pigs.

supertrooper15

Cavy Slave
Well.. I don't wanna say where I live (duh...)
But I'm pretty close between Mongtomery or Birmingham, AL.
There aren't that many shelters around where I live.

Piggie Mom

Cavy Slave
Petfinder has some. Also check craigslist. I am working with a rescue from petfinder and she will actually bring them to my house. She has bonded pairs too, perfect for you and your sister. I am in the same area you are in btw.

I recently made the mistake of getting petstore pigs. Don't get them from a pet store. I got them on a weekend and before their appointment that Monday one died and the other had to go to the emergency vet for meds. That's less than 48hrs after I got them. I talked to MANY others who had the same experience. They are sick and its hard to tell when you get them. Trust everyone here when they say wait for a rescue. I am getting ready to adopt two others myself.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, you're right about there not being many shelters where you are. Central/South Alabama is kind of a wasteland when it comes to guinea pig rescues.

Look on Craigslist. bham.craigslist.org had two listings recently and neither were breeders. I don't know whether those pigs are still available or not, but some will turn up. Also try the Humane Societies in Birmingham and Montgomery -- perhaps they'd put on a list and call you if guinea pigs come in.

supertrooper15

Cavy Slave
Well, I could probably go to Atlanta. I didn't mean between, I meant Montgomery or Dothan is probably the farthest I could go. I live in North Alabama. I've been checking petfinder alot lately. I found a GREAT pair in Atlanta. One looked like a teddy bear guinea pig (I guess) and his name was Albert Butterbean, and then he had a pretty little girlfriend named Cookie (Albert was neutered.) But they got plucked up already...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.