Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bloated Jordy has a blockage

Kstyle

Cavy Slave
My piggy was super bloated so I immediately took her to the vet on Monday morning. She was not eating and looked miserable.

They called me yesterday morning and told me she has a blockage right behind her stomach. She is staying there again tonight. I am very worried about her. The vet is keeping her so that they can monitor her 24hrs and give her fluids and medications. All I see is horror stories about how piggys die from blockage all the time. Is there any positive info out there for my piggy?

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you are going through this. I don't have any info to share with you other than maybe head over to www.guinealynx.info and read through some of the forum threads on blockages. Good luck with everything, and please keep us updated.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, there's hope. It depends on what the cause is. If she had stopped eating for some reason, or wasn't getting enough hay to keep her system moving, she may have gone into GI stasis. The intestines just stop moving, the material in them ferments, and the pig bloats. The vet will give motility drugs to start moving the intestines again, and eventually poop will result.

But if her intestine is truly blocked, and they could see it on some diagnostic test they did, then they won't give motility drugs, because there's something too large to be moved.

Without knowing what they saw, or seeing a list of the medications, there's no way to know exactly what they're treating her for.

Is this an exotic vet who's seeing her?

We'll keep our fingers crossed...

Kstyle

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for the thoughts and info. She does have a true blockage and she will be staying at least the rest of the week at the hospital.
She quit eating everything but her hay which she barely nibbled on Sunday. She had another xray this morning and the blockage had moved a small bit but the doc said it wasnt much.

Well I never thought I would fall in love with this piggy (had her a year) but this week has been rough. Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers for Jordy.

Kstyle

Cavy Slave
Oh man! What a week already. Jordy passed the blockage but almost immediately after her first poop she started bleeding from her uterus. She previously had issues with her uterus which we treated with antibiotics. I picked her up from my vet and took her to A&M Specialty Exotic Pet Clinic.

She had a sonogram today and turns out her uterus is totally misshapen and her ovaries are huge. She has cysts and blood clots in her uterus. She was born this way and this has been the cause of all her past sicknesses. She is staying there at A&M over the weekend. They will try to get her eating and more healthy to undergo a hysterectomy on Monday. I understand this is an invasive and hard surgery but if she doesn't have it, she will certainly die.

The doctor is concerned that she may have uterine cancer (due to cysts). Poor lil piggy!! I honestly never thought I would care so much for this tiny love of mine.
Jordy.jpg

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Sending Jordy healing thoughts and piggy kisses!!! I am so sorry your both are having to go through this. Thank you for keeping us updated.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Keeping you and Jordy in our thoughts and prayers for a safe surgery and healing.

pinky

Cavy Slave
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Jordy. She is very lucky she has you.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Poor Jordy! I hope everything goes well for her. Do keep us posted.

Kstyle

Cavy Slave
My poor Jordy had emergency surgery this morning to do the hysterectomy because she was going downhill fast. She did not make it. I miss her so much already.

Jordy was my first piggy. She changed my life. Love you Jordy.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
OH NO !! I am so very very sorry that Jordy didn't make it...ohhh I am so terribly sad for you. Sending you a big hug and prayers of comfort and peace. You did all you could for your sweet baby....please take comfort in knowing that you gave her a wonderful loving home with you.

I am sure she is over the rainbow bridge in heaven, bragging/chatting up a storm about her wonderful life with you with all her piggie friends. ( of course in between mouthfuls of wonderful fresh green grass and clover...smile)

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I am very sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you during this hard time.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I am sorry for your loss.

Kelly91513

Cavy Slave
Sorry you lost you piggy in that battle. You gave her a great life and she was happy because of you. She is in a better place now and thanks you for your love.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm so terribly sorry......

Kstyle

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the support everyone! My other piggy Roxy seems a bit depressed but we are dealing and trying to comfort her. Again, many thanks for the thoughts and prayers

Gigabyte

Cavy Slave
I am very sorry for your loss of Jordy. I hope you soon feel more at peace, she loved you until the very end and she fought hard,. Sometimes life is not fair, but guinea pigs will always be in heaven (or the rainbow bridge) far sooner than any of us humans.
Hugs and love to you in this time of sadness. You did all you could and I hope you understand you went above and beyond.
You have Roxy to love and care for now, you both need each other. Best of luck!

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I am so sorry to read your Jordy did not make it. I am so sorry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.