Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

First time Piggy mom!

Wubymom

Cavy Slave
Hi. My name is Julie and I am a first time piggy mom to Wuby. I have has a ferret, rabbit, a couple of hamsters and some other large animals in my life, but never a guinea pig. We got one today and LOVE him...already looking for a companion for him.

Couple of questions...I am looking to improve his housing. I would like a galvanized steel cage (they last longer than I will). Has anyone ever built one of these? My husband is a carpenter and that is something we could do.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the C&C cages??? What do you use as a base?

Free hay? Anything I should know? I live in farm land.

What are the yes's and no's of fresh food for these guys? I know they need vitamin C...should I specifically avoid anything?

Does anyone free range their pig? I am not a fan of all cage all the time and want to be able to give our pigs as much run as possible. How do you deal with couch gaps? Just live with it?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! We'd love to see pictures of Wuby.

The advantages of C&C cages are many: they're relatively inexpensive, they work well, they're easy to clean, they can easily be reconfigured if you need to add space or change the dimensions. I don't think galvanized steel would offer you any advantages over C&C.

Guinea pigs need unlimited long strand grass hay -- timothy, orchard, blue, brome. If it's suitable for a horse, it's probably ok for a guinea pig, although horses can tolerate more alfalfa than guinea pigs can.

Most knowledgeable guinea pig folks (those who run rescues, long-time owners, etc) recommend at least a cup of fresh veggies per pig per day. There's a chart of food to avoid, and the nutritional content and feeding recommendations of foods they can have at https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...y-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html. There are also sample menus at https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html.

If they get a cup or so of fresh foods, that should take care of their vitamin C requirements, particularly if you're feeding them bell peppers. Don't bother putting vitamin C in the water as some sites/vets recommend -- it decomposes very quickly, and changes the taste of the water, which may make the pig drink less.

Some people do free range, usually when they can devote the floor of a room to the pigs. You have to keep all wires out of reach, and watch your baseboards and furniture legs to make sure they're not being chewed. A reasonable substitute is a large run made out of the same grids as a C&C cage. You can zip-tie them together in one long chain, and then set up a pen in any configuration you want. You can clip the two end sections together with something like carabiner clips. If you need to protect the pigs from other pets or small children, you can make lids out of closet shelving.

If you still have a rabbit, it's not a good idea to put the pigs and the rabbit together. Some people do and have no problems, others have had the pig badly injured by the rabbit. Also, rabbits carry bordatella, which can be fatal to guinea pigs.

Wubymom

Cavy Slave
Thanks. I will explore the C&C cages. What is a good base? I am not the biggest plastic fan. And I ddon't have a rabbit anymore.

4theLOVEofPigs

Cavy Slave
Hi and Welcome.

I used a desk for my C&C Cage, Secured it to the top of the desk using 2x2's 15" high at the sight of the seams of the 9x9 grids, Then I just simply Zipped tied them to the 2x2's.
I mounted the 2x2's to the top of my desk with small inch and a half wide steel angle, one screw each going into the desktop and the other into the 2x2's.

Then I just Zip wrapped it at the corners and put on one of the grid caps at each top corner for added stability, it's as simple as that.

Tis way I don't have to worry about knocking the whole thing piggies and all off the desktop if I bump into it, My girls would frown on that.... :D

You don't have to use a desk as I did any good sturdy table will do, It makes it a tad eaiser for me at least to have them at waist highet to clean their cage and get them out.
Then to have to kneel or bend over.

But whatever works best for you.... Good Luck, Welcome to piggie keeping, and again Welcome to the Forum of pig nuts, Where we love pictures of any and all pigs we can get.... :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Hi and Welcome.

I used a desk for my C&C Cage, Secured it to the top of the desk using 2x2's 15" high at the sight of the seams of the 9x9 grids, Then I just simply Zipped tied them to the 2x2's.
I mounted the 2x2's to the top of my desk with small inch and a half wide steel angle, one screw each going into the desktop and the other into the 2x2's.

Then I just Zip wrapped it at the corners and put on one of the grid caps at each top corner for added stability, it's as simple as that.

Tis way I don't have to worry about knocking the whole thing piggies and all off the desktop if I bump into it, My girls would frown on that.... :D

You don't have to use a desk as I did any good sturdy table will do, It makes it a tad eaiser for me at least to have them at waist highet to clean their cage and get them out.
Then to have to kneel or bend over.

But whatever works best for you.... Good Luck, Welcome to piggie keeping, and again Welcome to the Forum of pig nuts, Where we love pictures of any and all pigs we can get.... :)

It sounds really nice. I'd like to see a photo.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Anything waterproof can be used for a base -- a piece of tarp, a shower curtain, a piece of linoleum, etc. The advantage of the coroplast is that it can be folded to make sides that help keep the hay, bedding and poop contained in the cage rather than all over your floor. Most pigs don't nibble it too much.

There are lots of pictures in the photo galleries if you haven't been there yet.

4theLOVEofPigs

Cavy Slave
I have some posted in the C&C cage section of photo uploads, They aren't the greatest because I used my cell phone to take them because I don't have a regular camera at the moment.

Same as my avatar I had to use my web cam instaed.

It sounds really nice. I'd like to see a photo.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.