Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Plexiglass cage?

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
It's taken lots of arguing, pleading and fighting, but...
Once I get my room cleaned and reorganized (I'm working on it!), and my mom recovers from her knee surgery, she's going to build Nikki a cage to get her out of the 2x2 she's currently housed in.

She absolutely despises the idea of using chloroplast- she says we used it years back when I was a kiddie for our previous pigs and they chewed it- though I have no memory of that at all.

So, she wants to build a cage completely out of plexiglass. How would that work? She plans on making walls and a floor (no lid), and sealing it with silicon.

First of all, would that work?

Second, how big should the cage big? She's absolutely convinced that we don't need another guinea pig ever, so should the cage be a 2x3 or 2x4? My room is pretty small, and I'll need to fit that cage along with a 80 gallon aquarium for my turtle in that space.

Lastly- how tall should the walls be? I don't think Nikki would be that keen on escaping. Maybe 5" tall? She's smaller than average guinea pigs. If not, could the side and back walls be maybe 9" tall and just the front be 5-6"? I'd like easy access to the cage- it's going to be on a stand- and I'm short- 4'11".

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd do a 2x4 -- even if you never get another pig, Nikki will appreciate the room. And if you want another, you'll have room to add one.

You never know if a pig will jump. You need the walls high enough that they won't get out. But you could put grids on top of the plexiglass sides (extending the height of the sides, not extending out over the cage) and keep her safe while still allowing for adequate air circulation.

She should seal the OUTSIDE of the plexiglass with silicon, not the insides. The pigs will eat it.

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
Okay, if I can fit the extra room I will go with a 2x4.

So could I make the plexiglass walls about 4" high all around, then just put grids up? (That would make cleaning easier than full length plexiglass walls and like you said, better air circulation)

Alright, I'll make sure to tell her that.

Thanks, bpatters.

Edit: Oh, wait, the plexiglass bottom will be okay, right? Once it's sealed it won't leak or cause any problems?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Make sure you don't have any sharp edges on the plexiglass so they don't cut up their feet when they climb at the sides.

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
Make sure you don't have any sharp edges on the plexiglass so they don't cut up their feet when they climb at the sides.
Will do. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it's properly sealed it won't leak. But I've never tried sealing a plexiglass cage, so I don't know how well it will work.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.