Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Sourcing piggy food & cage supplies

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
If anyone is having trouble sourcing pellets, hay, or even cage supplies, just ask me. I've had very little trouble finding it all at good prices, so I'm sure I can help you too :)
If you're looking for Oxbow cavy cuisine pellets, they have an Australian website with links to their ebay page. You can also purchase Oxbow products from Mypetwarehouse, but if you're looking to buy more than one product go with Oxbow ebay as they often allow for you to combine postage.
If you're looking for hay you can go with Oxbow, but if you'd prefer something more cost effective look for your local Pet Barn or other pet/farm supply store. They often stock three types of hay: lucerne, meadow and oaten. Meadow is a grass hay and thus, your best option. If you've got room to keep a whole bale it will set you back only $14 (approx). Cheap, huh?
Hopefully this is helpful. If you are having trouble just let me know :)

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Dear Aus piggy keepers,
I've recently been investigating using carefresh for a 2x4 c&c cage. I have decided that I will try it, but with a layer of recycled newspaper kitty litter underneath to save on cost and to add extra absorbancy. Also, instead of carefresh I'm using 'Back-to-nature' which is a very similar product, but cheaper! I've found it at both Big W and Pet Barn so far. A 30L bag from Pet Barn is around $15 dollars. I'll let you know how it goes, cost-wise and effectiveness.
You're welcome :)

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Today I got more coroflute for the new cage. A piece of 3mm thick, black 'flute' 1.2m x 2.4m cost just $20. That was the small size, and the cage I'm making is 2x4 c&c so there will be off-cuts.
Why on earth would anyone ever pay more than a $100 for a cage that is far too small?

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
Dear Aus piggy keepers,
I've recently been investigating using carefresh for a 2x4 c&c cage. I have decided that I will try it, but with a layer of recycled newspaper kitty litter underneath to save on cost and to add extra absorbancy. Also, instead of carefresh I'm using 'Back-to-nature' which is a very similar product, but cheaper! I've found it at both Big W and Pet Barn so far. A 30L bag from Pet Barn is around $15 dollars. I'll let you know how it goes, cost-wise and effectiveness.
You're welcome :)

Yeah, let me know how it goes.

I'm using the Breeder's Choice cat litter (recycled newspaper) in the litter trays...they're on fleece otherwise.

It's not overly expensive, but still, we seem to go through a lot by changing the litter trays often.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
I will definitely be posting a short review here. It'll be in a 2x4 c&c so we'll see how pricey it can really get!
Unfortunately I've had to postpone their move because Willy isn't doing so well.
Stay tuned though :)

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Also, I'm pretty sure 'Breeder's Choice' is made by the same people who make 'Back-2-Nature'. I plan on using it underneath if I require a higher absorbancy.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Back-2-Nature bedding:
So I laid out about 3-4cms deep throughout the entire 2x4 c&c cage. The bedding itself is like the newspaper pellets squashed, so it is a little crunchy underfoot. I had it out for a week and in terms of odour and absorbancy, absolutely no complaints. I change it after a week even though it wasn't damp or stinky. I used about 10L, and with a 30L bag costing about $15 that is pretty afordable.
I've now filled the cage with Carefresh so I can compare. It's much softer underfoot than Back-2-Nature bedding, and slightly more expensive. If the piglets show that the texture is more suitable and the bedding matches up in absorbancy and odour control I'll probably continue with Carefresh.

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
Can I ask where you get your hay, cos last time I went to pet barn, all the hay was yellow and brown except for Lucerne hay. Thanks.

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
I get mine, Oxbow, from one of the retailers out here in WA. They have a list of retailers by state on their site:

Oxbow Australia

Yeah, most of the commercial pet store hay just doesn't cut it. It's terrible. Can't speak to the Pet Barn stuff, but the hay at Better Pets and Gardens isn't that great at all...all coarse and yellow. My pigs wouldn't touch it.

Last edited:

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
You can also order it online from ebay if you're nowhere near any of those locations:

(broken link removed)

Good luck...hope you can find something tasty for your pigs...

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
The prices of good quality hay with exception to feed stores are ridiculous!

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
The prices of good quality hay with exception to feed stores are ridiculous!

That's true. If you can, buy in bulk. I've bought both the large 4.09kg bale and the smaller 425g bags, and the hay seems to last longer from the huge bale. Could be because it's not broken up into smaller bits like the hay in the bags.

There has been some discussion elsewhere about the quality of the timothy hay in the large bale (coarser, not as green as the bags), but my pigs still love it. And it is still greener, more fragrant, and just plain better quality than the stuff you'd find in most pet stores.

I bought the 4.09kg one back in November and my pigs (two young boars) get unlimited hay in their rack and we're just running low now, so it's lasted over three months. I'll probably get to the end of February by the time it's completely gone. I can't recall what I paid for the bale at the retailer, but it worked out to be cheaper than buying a bunch of the smaller bags.

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
I think I saw the 4kg priced at $125. I'm currently buying my hay on eBay but a lot of it is stemmy an stalky which my guinea pigs don't seem to be eating.

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
Is the hay any good? And do they ship to Sydney suburbs?

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
The hay has occassionally been a bit more yellowy in colour than I'd like but that could just be the cut. The piggies never complain. They seem to move their stock quite quickly and store it well. There are contact details on the site so I'd give them a call, ask about the quality of hay they currently have in or maybe a photo so you can better judge.

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
Okay. Thanks a bunch. :)

GP Obsessed

Cavy Slave
is it okay to feed guinea pigs oaten chaff? they have unlimited hay as well but they seem to really enjoy the chaff.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what oaten chaff is. There is a 'Diet' section on this forum. Maybe posting your question there will help you find your answer?

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
If you are looking for grids:
Recently, [MENTION=22191]miss_melmel[/MENTION] was able to get a pack of grids (14 grids & 16 connectors) from Bunnings for $24.95.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.