Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece fleece! help

lu_lu

Cavy Slave
I'm new here and from the UK, after looking on here and seeing fleece being used, well sorry it seemed like madness, then i've done a lot more reading and well it's seems it's now worth a try, i've tried a few different types of bedding but just feel i haven't found the right type yet (carefresh/biozorb-too dusty, cardboard-not soft or absorbent enough...) so Q's

I've looked on the web at U-haul pads but can't seem to find a UK equlivant can anyone recommend one?

Fleece-i've read the thread on fleece, but to a beginner it might as well be written in manderin as i can't make no sense of it, can i use regular fleece blankets cut and sewn to fit or is the fleece you use some kind of special fleece material ?

Whats "wicking" mean? I keep reading this word in some of the fleece threads but don't know what it means...

The "kitchen" area...Piggies pee and poop everywhere so whats the point of a litter tray filled with say carefresh, sorry i don't get it, I've noticed my piggies seem to pee and poop more just outside there hidie hole...

sorry, if it's dumb Q's and they've been asked before but couldn't exactly find the answers i was looking for cheers

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The fleece referred to is polar fleece. There are lots of different types, some better than others. You can certainly use your fleece blankets.

Wicking means that the fleece allows the moisture on top to move through onto the absorbent material below.

Guinea pigs seem to pee and poop more when and where they are eating. Keeping hay in the kitchen area helps keep the hay out of the fleece as well (it can be a hassle to get it all off the fleece before laundering.)

lu_lu

Cavy Slave
cheers for explaining, can i ask another Q? how big does the litter tray have to be? I knocked up something earlier as an experiment using puppie liners, with a double layer of fleece over the top secured with some clips (same type as i have seen in one of the pics on here) to a sheet of corroplast (mines in to tight and i didn't want to cut and re-tie the cage incase i don't stick with the fleece method), this covered the floor area, i put a "litter tray" in that measures 1x1 with the food bowl in and the hay rack above but my girls just sleep in it, so the boys don't get a look in with the food! so bigger litter tray, 2 trays of will the boys nudge them out when they want to eat? previously i used a pretty large bowl so they could all crowd round but that bowls to big for the tray so i've had to downsize it, cheers lu

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.