PDA

View Full Version : New Piggie Mom

Piggie Mom
11-13-11, 05:57 pm
Hi everyone, my name is Heather and I just became a piggie mom today! I did lots of research before we got her, but I know I have A LOT more to learn. I want to learn more about fleece. We cloth diaper, so why not for the furry babies? I was looking into larger, open cages and it lead me here. Very excited to meet people and learn more about piggies. Now I am still learning the rules for the site, so if I slip up please let me know.

Here is our sweet piggie baby. Working on names now.

LauraK
11-13-11, 06:01 pm
Welcome to the forum! There is so much wonderful information here, so I'm glad you found it :)

Your little pig is beautiful! Hopefully with all of your research you decide to get her a little pal to keep her company. She has the sweetest face- can't wait to hear what you decide for a name!

Piggie Mom
11-13-11, 06:16 pm
I wanted to get one of her siblings (another female) but I will have to go back later. One sibling was aggressive, and her other sibling was getting vet care, so I couldn't get her. I loved on the sibling, and she liked me, but no one else. :( Our local pet store will hold rescued animals to get them adopted out quickly verses breeders. I've been looking at Craigslist and petfinder for rescues, but never find any near me. :( Also, my husband's cousin has a piggie, but she travels a lot and has to board her, so she talked about giving her to us. So hopefully in the next week or so she will get a friend. :)

Piggie Mom
11-13-11, 06:18 pm
And thank you, she does have the sweetest face. She purrs all the time and loves to nuzzle under my chin. She is just precious. My grandmother is visiting and normally hates small fuzzy babies, but even she loves her. LOL!

Piggie Mom
11-14-11, 08:14 pm
Went back and got her cage mate. They're names are Petunia(pictured above) and Tiger Lily. Tiger Lily's ears have been chewed on. They have healed, but I don't know if they were given proper care, so I am going to find a vet and have them checked out. She is super small, and I believe she may be a lot younger than they said. They told us they are between 8-10wks, but she is tiny. She was starving when I got her home and scarfed down a piece of sweet potato. So I think the largest one in the cage is being a bully. I knew she mounted a lot of them, ( I looked, she is a girl) but never thought she might be hurting them.

Anyways, when Tiger Lily lets me take her picture I will post one. :) Oh and they snuggled, purred and wheeked as soon as they met. I think they knew each other right away because they do not want to be apart. Good choice. :) Also, I rearranged the cage, so maybe no issues there. I will keep a watch out for issues, especially since they bunk in my room. We are talking about taking the spare/craft room and turning it into a piggy haven. :D

sdpiggylvr
11-14-11, 08:24 pm
Welcome to the forum!

Here's a blog post on fleece bedding that may be of help to you: The Lowdown on Bedding The Wheeking Cavy (http://wheekingcavy.wordpress.com/2011/10/28/the-lowdown-on-bedding/). I use fleece myself, and truly love it! It's a very cost-effective and environmentally-friendly way to go.

Be sure to check out Guinea Lynx: http://www.guinealynx.info/. Also, the vegetable charts should be really helpful as well: http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/22156-read-me-cavy-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html.

Again, welcome, and good luck with your new babies!

Piggie Mom
11-14-11, 08:29 pm
Thank you! That chart is a life saver! Going to print that and put it on my fridge. I didn't give her much sweet potato, so I am happy to see she doesn't need a lot. :) We love strawberries and lots of leafy greens here, so they will get lots of that. :D

Piggie Mom
11-14-11, 09:23 pm
17018The girls snuggling shortly after Tiger Lily arrived. :)

Hhbean
11-14-11, 10:29 pm
Welcome and what cute piggie butts!

Piggie Mom
11-15-11, 10:27 am
Petunia suddenly passed during the night. She was so happy and playful last night, eating and drinking fine. I am a wreck. My daughter kept telling her to go eat, not understanding she wasn't sleeping. I put Tiger Lily in a new cage with all new stuff. Going to bleach everything and give her vitamin c loaded snacks from the chart. RIP sweet Petunia. :(

Peggysu
11-15-11, 10:48 am
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm not completely understanding where you got your pigs.

As for care of the remaining keep a close eye on her and weigh daily. If there is a drop in weight of 3 to 4 ounces that is an indication that your pig may be ill and you'll need to get vet care from a cavy savy vet ASAP. I drive 2 and a half hours to get my pigs competent vet care.

As long as your pig is eating a high quality pellet and a good variety of veggies there is no need to overdo the vitamin C.

Once again I'm so sorry for your loss. I would wait to adopt another piggie until you know the remaining pig is healthy. When you're ready be sure to research how to properly quarantine to make certain that there isn't an exposure to a new illness.

Jaclyn
11-15-11, 10:51 am
Wow, and she was the original one, right? I wonder what happened? So sorry for your loss.

bpatters
11-15-11, 11:05 am
I'm sorry about Petunia -- that happens sometimes, and whether it's a sudden overwhelming illness or something like choking, you won't know the cause unless you have a necropsy done.

Ditto Peggysu on not getting another one until you know that your remaining one is healthy. And when you do get another, get one from a GP rescue that has checked to be sure she's healthy when you take her.

Piggie Mom
11-15-11, 11:28 am
We got them from a pet store. We have searched rescues for months. They either don't have them nearby or won't let us adopt them because we live in another state. Go figure. I have no intentions on getting another. If Tiger Lily passes I will sell my stuff. I can't handle having pets die like that. I worry she may have choked though. She was eating before I went to bed. :( Tiger Lily is sitting in my lap. She has been snuggling in a fleece blanket I have in my lap and doesn't want me to put her down except to eat and potty. :( She is a sweetie and already went through enough with being bullied and chewed on, so hoping she toughs it out. :( Taking her to Birmingham today.

Piggie Mom
11-15-11, 12:04 pm
A friend who has had guineas pretty much her whole life noticed that Tiger Lily is a lot younger, which I started thinking. She is very baby like and small. So not only was she not getting food and being bullied but she is too young. :( I made her a slurry so she can eat it better. :( Poor thing.

Jaclyn
11-15-11, 12:10 pm
What's a slurry?

lissie
11-15-11, 12:24 pm
I'm very sorry you lost Petunia.

Is Tiger Lily eating any hay? Baby pigs don't need slurry. They can eat hay and pellets and veggies like adults. What you need to supplement is to get her alfalfa pellets or add some alfalfa hay to her diet along with feeding grass hay.

bpatters
11-15-11, 12:30 pm
Ditto lisse. Forget the slurry and feed the hay and veggies and pellets.

Piggie Mom
11-15-11, 01:26 pm
She is already eating all of that stuff. She hasn't stopped eating the whole time. I talked to a vet recommended by this site and he said she needs to go back where I got her and to report them. He thinks they either have upper respiratory infections or something worse. :( I don't want to send her back though. If they didn't care for her to start with, they won't now. He said it will be a few hundred to get her well and she still may die. But I am willing to risk it if she gets better. :( This just makes me sick.

Jaclyn
11-15-11, 01:28 pm
She is already eating all of that stuff. She hasn't stopped eating the whole time. I talked to a vet recommended by this site and he said she needs to go back where I got her and to report them. He thinks they either have upper respiratory infections or something worse. :( I don't want to send her back though. If they didn't care for her to start with, they won't now. He said it will be a few hundred to get her well and she still may die. But I am willing to risk it if she gets better. :( This just makes me sick.

OMG, that's terrible. Maybe the pet store would cover her medical costs? Call head office!

Piggie Mom
11-15-11, 01:38 pm
They claimed when I called this morning that they would refund our money on both, put Tiger Lily under strict vet care and when she got better they would call us and we could buy her back. But I don't trust them. How do I know that they won't sale her to someone else right away and tell us that she died? I mean do I go there every single day to make sure she is not in the cage?

A friend of mine had bought one with I believe she said Roan defect and she took him back, they claimed they fixed him. The issue was he couldn't eat because his teeth were malformed in the back and he couldn't chew. She said she took him back again and they said he was fine. She took him to a guinea vet and his back teeth had started growing into his eye socket. :( She threatened to sue the pet store and they finally covered all of his medical bills.

I normally would never buy a pet from a pet store. We are a rescue family, but there never were any in the rescues near me with piggies. Well there is one, but every time we email to ask about them we never get a reply. We've looked on pet finder and craigslist for months. :( I hope she makes it. If she doesn't I don't think I can handle

lissie
11-15-11, 01:39 pm
Don't send her back! I don't know why your vet recommended that.
Do charge the store for vet fees.
Are you weighing her? it's a good idea to weigh weekly to keep track of their weight. Also weigh daily if she's sick.
http://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

bpatters
11-15-11, 01:40 pm
I'm sorry about your problems. But if you take her back to the pet store, she's likely to become a "hammer head." I'll leave it to you to figure out what that is, but it's horrible to contemplate.

This whole case is a good example of one of the main reasons we are so against pet store purchases. You wind up with a sick pig and no good options -- either spend a lot of money trying to get it well, or give it back and have it killed. The problem behind the pet stores is the mills that breed them in horrible conditions with no medical care for the sows or the pups. There are just too many pigs in rescues and shelters who need homes to perpetuate that awful chain by buying pigs.

lovemyguineas
11-15-11, 01:49 pm
So Sorry for your loss, and sorry to read what you are going through.....I feel so bad:(. I hope Tiger Lily makes a full recovery.

Piggie Mom
11-15-11, 02:04 pm
I'm sorry about your problems.There are just too many pigs in rescues and shelters who need homes to perpetuate that awful chain by buying pigs.

I have no intention to take her back. I know she will be doomed if I do. At least if she is here and still passes that I did everything I could to help her. Sadly around here there are never any piggies. On the rare occassion you find some in a rescue no one answers phones, returns messages or emails. We have been looking for months for a rescue. When I find them in other states and ask if we can pick them up if we are a good match they say they don't do out of state adoptions. Its not like I am asking them to ship them, I am asking if I can drive and pick them up if approved. I think half of these "rescues" are mills personally. When we adopted dogs and cats from rescues they expected us to met more than once before we were allowed to take them home. Just odd to me.

Piggie Mom
11-15-11, 02:16 pm
So Sorry for your loss, and sorry to read what you are going through.....I feel so bad:(. I hope Tiger Lily makes a full recovery.

Thank you. I know people may think its silly, but it doesn't matter that she was only with us two days. We are huge animal lovers and quickly become attached to our pets. They become our furry children instantly. :( They were both watching Harry Potter with us last night. I made a fleece pocket for them to snuggle in and they were curled up with their little heads poking out and loving on each other. That's why I am so confused. I mean it went from them playing piggie tag and making noises when I opened their hay to give them more to burying Petunia and worrying about Tiger Lily. :( I just don't get it. I am happy however that she got two days of pure love and plenty of food before she passed. At least I know we gave her that and she passed a happy piggy. She wasn't happy at the store, but when she came home with me she made that adorable little noise all day. ( I think its called Wheeking?) She loved to snuggle under my chin and would make noises when we'd pet her. She nuzzled her little nose under my fingers like "Hey, lady with the food, pet me." :) Such a sweet piggy. :( I just wish this was a bad dream and she was really waiting for me to wake up and play with her. :( RIP sweetie. :(

They want to see her body before giving us a refund, but do you think they would let us take her little body back home so I can bury her? I hate to think about what they would do with her. We've always buried our pets. Granted they all lived to be very old before they passed. :( I just hate the idea of them throwing her away. :(

I am sorry to be posting so much. I am just so upset. I am crying, angry, actually furious that they do not check them daily for things like this. I mean how hard is it to look while you are cleaning the cage?

Piggie Mom
11-15-11, 02:21 pm
Don't send her back! I don't know why your vet recommended that.
Do charge the store for vet fees.
Are you weighing her? it's a good idea to weigh weekly to keep track of their weight. Also weigh daily if she's sick.
http://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

I don't plan to send her back. I do plan to try and make them pay for her proper vet care. I thought it was strange too especially since he is recommended on this site. I will find his name again. I have no way of weighing her, but will get a scale today. (I have one I use for photographing newborn babies, but it's in pounds.) Will a kitchen scale work?

lissie
11-15-11, 02:47 pm
I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I think they should give you back her body. There's no reason for them to keep her.

A kitchen scale would work. You can weigh in pounds until you get the ones that weigh in grams. I like the grams because they are more accurate.

lovemyguineas
11-15-11, 02:55 pm
Yes they should most definitely give you back her body. I would make it clear to them that you are bringing her in to prove she died BUT you are walking out of that store with her and going to bury her properly, like she deserves!

Piggie Mom
11-15-11, 03:02 pm
Yes they should most definitely give you back her body. I would make it clear to them that you are bringing her in to prove she died BUT you are walking out of that store with her and going to bury her properly, like she deserves!

That's what I intend to do. All animals deserve that. :( Shoot, my old cat killed a mouse and I buried it in the back yard. I just don't have the heart to "dump" them. :(

ellisa
11-15-11, 03:54 pm
I am so sorry you are going through this. It's very tragic, but it happens all too often with petstore pigs. I agree that you should make the store pay for the medical bills. I also agree that they would have know reason to keep Petunia's body after proof that she passed, and if they want to just tell them NO! There isn't a reason for them to want to, though.
Again, I am so sorry and I will keep you and Tiger Lily in my thoughts. I really hope she starts feeling better.

Piggie Mom
11-15-11, 04:34 pm
Thank you. Dr. Sokal said they need to pay it. Hoping my husband gets here soon so I can take her straight over. Having one car and no one near by to help stinks. She started acting lethargic and was having trouble standing to drink and eat, so I made a slurry, took a suringe that has never been used and she ate like she was starved. Now she is dancing around. I am going to have him check her mouth and make sure everything is like it should be. Also, check for internal issues. She eats like she is starved, and she could be since she is so small, but then she gets super tired and just lays next to her teddy. :( I make sure she is up and eating. That's why my posts are all over the time frame. Just hit or miss on catching me. Like having a newborn. Making sure she is eating and using the potty like she needs to be. Getting a kitchen scale too while I am out. Thank you all for your help. Please, keep the information coming. You are all helping me more than you could ever know. I am so upset still I can't think straight.

bpatters
11-15-11, 04:43 pm
FYI, the only way most vets can thoroughly check a pig's molars is by putting them under a mild anesthesia briefly. The UK vets manage to do it without that, but I don't think US vets are taught that way. Just don't let the vet clip her front teeth, or you'll be in for a week of handfeeding.

How much is Tiger Lily eating? And is she eating any hay?

lissie
11-15-11, 04:43 pm
I hope she feels better soon. Now I know why you need to feed her slurry, not because she is a baby, but because she is sick.

Have you seen this page?
http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Some recipes:
http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56986

Piggie Mom
11-15-11, 09:09 pm
She is eating tons of hay, pellets, she ate a small piece of kale and when I gave her a slice of strawberry she started to popcorn all over the place. She reminded me of my mom's late ferret. LOL! She had us laughing. I got her a very small water bottle and she has been drinking from it none stop. She keeps running from one end of the cage to the other, then stopping to popcorn. I guess the slurry made her feel a lot better. :D Going to keep a very close eye on her though. Set my alarm to wake me every 2hrs so I can check her during the night. If she does anything strange I am taking her to the vet ER.

Piggie Mom
11-15-11, 09:37 pm
Oh, yeah, got into an argument with the Manager. He tried saying she couldn't have been sick when he sold her to me. So I took his smart mouth over to the cages and pointed out EVERYTHING that was wrong with the cages, which Guineas looked sick and suggested they take all of them to the vet for a check up instead of selling them sick. He insisted that I bring Tiger Lily back so she could visit their vet. When I asked his vet's name he couldn't give me one. Needless to say Petsmart's head office is going to get an ear full.

Also, he tried to take her body into the back and I told him I was taking her home to bury her. He didn't want me to take her out the door in the box because he didn't want "To upset customers." I told him they should be furious to hear about a baby guinea dying because her care takers didn't give a rip about her and sold her knowing she was probably sick. Yeah, before I left he had them cleaning the cages, adding a second water bottle and bowl of food, chew sticks and hay. My husband sent me in for a reason. I am kind, but do not mess with animals, children or old people. Hate to use the term because I am a pit lover, but he calls me a pit bull when it comes to protecting those that can't protect themselves.

catzeye21138
11-15-11, 11:26 pm
I've given poor Pet Smart employees a talk before. I only feel bad because they probably had no idea, and were only there as poop scoopers.

I'm glad to see you've taken such a stance on this. The manager wasn't in his place to try to take your animal from you.

Peggysu
11-16-11, 07:49 am
I would get her vet care and then make a huge stink at the pet store.

By returning her you won't be doing anything for well being of your pig.

And please next time adopt, never shop. I know it may seem hard to find rescues or unwanted piggies, but they are out there. You have a pet store chances are people are buying pets all the time and getting bored of them very quickly.

Good luck with this piggie and I hope you can get her all better. They sure do have a way capturing hearts.

Jaclyn
11-16-11, 08:00 am
Good for you for sticking up for those poor guineas! Momma bear! How is Tiger Lily feeling this morning?

Jaclyn
11-16-11, 08:01 am
Oh, and did they agree to pay the vet bills?

RubyRain
11-16-11, 09:52 am
Hope Tiger Lilly is still doing well and you're getting some peace.

Piggie Mom
11-16-11, 10:23 am
I would get her vet care and then make a huge stink at the pet store.

By returning her you won't be doing anything for well being of your pig.

And please next time adopt, never shop. I know it may seem hard to find rescues or unwanted piggies, but they are out there. You have a pet store chances are people are buying pets all the time and getting bored of them very quickly.

Good luck with this piggie and I hope you can get her all better. They sure do have a way capturing hearts.

Not trying to be rude, but you must have missed where we have been searching for months for a rescue. If rescues would answer their phones, emails or adopt to people who live more than an hour away I could. I have tried. I've even asked about fostering, but I "live too far away." They either don't reply or refuse to adopt to people in other states. Am I supposed to move in order to adopt one?

All of our pets we have ever had growing up and since we've been married, except these two, have always been rescues. Its not like I am some person that only buys from people with papers. From dogs and cats, to rabbits and chickens. We've even picked up animals others have dumped out and got them the care they needed and found them homes. My grandfather ran a wildlife rescue for 20+ years taking in exotic birds, reptiles and even two monkeys that people bought and dumped after the cute wore off. I know people buy them and dump them.

I understand why you say that, but I have already explained numerous times why we got them there. We have searched daily on pet finder and craigslist. I've even googled and contacted rescues in neighboring states, but they won't adopt to people who live more than 1-2hrs away. The nearest rescue for me is over an hour away and they will only adopt to people in their area. :( Only so much you can do when the rescues hold the cards. They complain about people not adopting enough, yet they won't work with people who are willing. Silly if you ask me since Humane shelters/dog rescues will ship dogs and cats across country to get them adopted out.

Again, not trying to be rude, but its really not that easy. Also its not helpful when people, not just you, only read what they want and jump down your throat. All that does is tick people off and make them think the people on here are just being rude, not helpful. Again, I understand why you say this, but not everyone has the option to adopt. Others have already sent me links to rescues that I have already contacted and again have been told will not work with me. So yeah, adopting is not always an option.

Piggie Mom
11-16-11, 10:29 am
Wanted to point out that I have no intention, nor have I ever, to send Tiger Lily back to the store. I have been contacting vets, starting with the one recommended for my area on this site and HE told me to send her back. I told him I would keep her and find another vet, that's when he talked about seeing her. I know what happens to those who get returned. They either die because they kill them, no vet care, or the sell them to someone else.

For those who asked how she is doing, she is doing very well. Her cage is in our bedroom, so I checked her ever two hours, made sure she was drinking and eating enough and kept her cage partially covered so she would not get cold. :) She has been very vocal today and bouncing around her cage. She keeps trying to climb on top of her hideout. She is spunky. :)

Catahoula
11-16-11, 10:34 am
Oh Piggie Mom, please try not to get so fired up. Once a thread gets so long and you've been reading on it for a couple of days you forget some of the facts you read. (I know I did a few times and had to go back to check).

I sincerely believe that they didn't mean any harm and are truly are just trying to help. Even if you get links to places you've already contacted all you can do is say "Thank you for trying." The people on here care about you and your piggy.

In fact, Jaclyn asked first thing this morning how Tiger Lily is doing today. We'd all like to know if she's still looking happy and healthy.

If you don't mind me asking, where exactly in AL are you?

lovemyguineas
11-16-11, 10:36 am
You are such a WONDERFUL Piggy Mom. So glad to see your piggy is feeling better. Hope it continues. They are definitely a very loving pet, and I would hate for you to not get to share in that experience. Keep us updated on Tiger Lily.

Jaclyn
11-16-11, 10:40 am
I'm glad to hear that she seems to be doing better. I've been worried for you. Maybe you can get some sleep soon.

Piggie Mom
11-16-11, 10:43 am
I am in Montevallo. I know they mean to help, but its exhausting to keep explaining. The big picture is I am trying to take care of a sick piggy and all the vets want me to do is send her back. I am kind of stuck now, but I am still looking for a vet to help and taking very good care of her. I have bags under my eyes to prove it. Getting up ever two hours to make sure she is eating, drinking and using the potty is hard when you have to get up early with a toddler. I actually put down light colored fleece in her cage so I can see if she is peeing. I keep it changed out, so laundry is running a lot too. LOL! Busy, but as long as she is healthy and makes it that's fine. All part of it.

Catahoula
11-16-11, 10:53 am
I know they mean to help, but its exhausting to keep explaining. The big picture is I am trying to take care of a sick piggy and all the vets want me to do is send her back. I am kind of stuck now, but I am still looking for a vet to help and taking very good care of her.

Don't feel the need to answer questions or address issues that have already been discussed. If someone asks for clarification, that's a different story but you certainly don't have to continually explain yourself when all the information is already in the thread.

I hope you get some rest today, because being in the right frame of mind helps you handle things better. Being a toddler mom already, you know when it's time to put your game face on and get things done.

Very glad to hear Tiger Lily is doing so well.

Piggie Mom
11-16-11, 10:55 am
Oh Piggie Mom, please try not to get so fired up. Once a thread gets so long and you've been reading on it for a couple of days you forget some of the facts you read. (I know I did a few times and had to go back to check).

I sincerely believe that they didn't mean any harm and are truly are just trying to help. Even if you get links to places you've already contacted all you can do is say "Thank you for trying." The people on here care about you and your piggy.

In fact, Jaclyn asked first thing this morning how Tiger Lily is doing today. We'd all like to know if she's still looking happy and healthy.

If you don't mind me asking, where exactly in AL are you?

Oh I am not upset about the links, a few of them I had not called yet, they just told me that I lived too far away. :( I even asked about fostering for two different places. Just saddens me that they need homes, but they turn down people who want to help. We are actually talking about redoing the spare room and turning it into a piggie haven. We love animals and never travel so we'd always be here to take care of them.

Catahoula
11-16-11, 11:02 am
I am in Montevallo.

I wouldn't give up hope yet on being able to adopt a buddy for Tiger Lily (once she's healthy).

I'm in FL, so we're pretty near by. It would only be a 9 hour drive from Orlando (me) to Montevallo (you). Maybe we can make a piggy train to get you a rescue pig. I'm willing to go the distance. I'll see if I can contact a few rescues, maybe north of me, to see what they are willing to help me with.

Peggysu
11-16-11, 12:16 pm
I understand you "can't" find a rescue. I am not going to argue this, but please read the sticky "buying pigs from pet stores" in the kitchen forum when you get a chance.

I live in a rural area and its taken months to find a companion pig. It's all about patience.

This site is a great resource especially when finding piggies, if I lived closer I would definitely help with a piggie train.

Once again good luck and please don't read my posts in a heated tone as that is not how they are meant. I am merely just trying to help you out.

The sooner your piggie sees a vet the better.

Jaclyn
11-16-11, 01:19 pm
Btw, you sound awesome, and your pig is lucky to have you.

Did you say you have a daughter or son? My son is 2 1/2 and just loves my piggy to death. How are your finding your toddler with her?

Piggie Mom
11-16-11, 01:30 pm
I have a girl. She will be two next month. She is super calm. She sits in my lap or next to me on the floor and pets her gently. She is very gentle with animals and babies. She loves to help put the hay in the cage and carries the water bottle for me. She is a big helper. :) I will say she got very jealous when she saw me give Tiger Lily a strawberry slice. She did not like that one bit. The child loves fruit, so she did not understand why I was giving the "ninny" her fruit. LOL! She is still wonderful with her though. I think she will be a big help as they both get older. I do hate that the average guinea life span is not that long. I think I read between 7-10yrs somewhere. :(

Also wanted to say I hope there are no hard feelings. It is very hard to tell when people are being hateful or trying to help.

Jaclyn
11-16-11, 01:48 pm
Your little girl sounds like my son. He helps with her and likes to bring over her bowl of veggies, etc, but sometimes I hand him a veggie to give to her and he eats it LOL! They are too cute! He is really in love with his piggy and had an absolute melt down the first night because he thought that if he went to sleep we would send her away. I had to take him downstairs to show him that she wasn't going anywhere. I have a cute video of them too, where she was running around on the floor and he was crawling right behind her laughing hysterically. He must have thought that they were playing tag!

Jaclyn
11-16-11, 01:50 pm
And, yes the life span is kind of short. I guess we will be teaching our kids about death of an animal sooner than any mom would like. I have heard that the "average" life is 5-7 years. I don't think they ever generally live to be 10 but I could be wrong. Hopefully we can measure our little piggiy's life span in years and not days!!! Fingers crossed for you!

lovemyguineas
11-16-11, 02:54 pm
Really enjoyed reading the post about the children. Piggy Mom, to funny about the strawberry and your daughter calling her a Ninny! Jaclyn you made me laugh about your son eating the vegetables. It's usually not easy to get children to like vegetables and fruit, and being young and feeding them to a guinea could be a wonderful thing for children when they are wanting to eat it too. :o Piggies do have a short life span but they are such a nice pet that you sure can have lots of good memories and pictures in that 5-7 years. I do have a friend who has a guinea pig named Bruno and he is 10 years old and still going. She of course is one of the very lucky piggy owners.

Piggie Mom
11-17-11, 11:20 am
Liv (My daughter) LOVES cheese, fruit and veggies. She turns down sweets and meat for fruits and veggies.

lovemyguineas
11-17-11, 11:28 am
Awesome about Liv turning down the sweets. Most young children these days don't eat much good for you food, they want the junk. That is wonderful, hooray for you! She is starting out with wonderful eating habits.

Jaclyn
11-17-11, 11:30 am
Liv (My daughter) LOVES cheese, fruit and veggies. She turns down sweets and meat for fruits and veggies.

My son loves cheese as well. He begs for it lol

kathlaaron
11-17-11, 12:23 pm
Wow. Just read through your thread, Piggie Mom and boy...you sure have gone through a lot ! I am so very sorry for the very sudden loss of Petunia.:weepy: I just want to say a very BIG KUDO'S to you for standing up to the well known, "Petstupid" store, and especially the manager, whom the store chain DOES NOT feel that manager's need the proper education on exotic animal care !!

I am so happy to hear that Tiger Lily seems to be doing well, and is happy in her new loving home with all of you. I know what you mean about becoming so attached and seeing these sweet little creatures as "members" of your own family....even when you have not had them for very long. I feel exactly the same way.

Never worry about "long posts" we are here for you my dear...and please feel free to "vent", we can handle it. Most of us, at one time or another need to do that, for whatever reason. We are a loving piggie community, and take care of our own. We are HERE FOR YOU.:heart: WE really DO CARE.:o

There are so many wonderful, very knowledgeable, (some members and Mods know more than most "Vets" do, in my opinion..) people on here. We welcome you, with "open arms" and do so hope that Tiger Lily continues to be well !! I also wanted to say how very sorry I am for all that you have gone through in trying your VERY BEST to adopt or rescue a piggie. I really am.

When I use to live in Massachusetts, I worked as a Pre-School teacher. I had a classroom FULL of (22 children) and my favorite age is between 4-5 years old. One year I had children from 8 different nationalities/cultures, it was wonderful. I learned so much from them ! I love and ADORE young children, they are so beautiful to me.:heart: Your little one Liv sounds adorable....I would probably laugh my head off at all her cute little antics, and eat her up !! Kudo's to you for starting her off right with veggies and fruits !

Really hope that you have luck with finding another piggie to adopt....I really hope someone on this site can help you find one, if that is something you still want to explore....if it is, keeping my fingers crossed, and sending prayers to heaven-- for you honey.

Lyonmom
11-17-11, 01:10 pm
Hi and I'm a newbie to this site! :) Sorry to hear about the loss of Petunia. We have a piggie named Petunia too!

Piggie Mom
11-17-11, 01:37 pm
Picture of Tiger Lily.

She was attacking her Alfalfa hay. She is hilarious when she eats. She pounces on it and bugs her eyes like "OMG! This ish the bess foods evah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Yeah, she is funny. She greets us and makes tons of noise when we bring her veggies and fruit. She doesn't care too much for her pellets, but I read that as long as she gets tons of veggies, fruit and alfalfa it isn't a big deal. Is that true? I still try to get her to eat them. She also chews on her chew sticks. I'm still paranoid and wake up and check her all the time.

kathlaaron
11-17-11, 02:05 pm
Yes, that is true.:) Pellets are the least part of their diet. What kind of pellets are you giving her, what brand ?

Awww she is too precious for words !!!:heart:

Inle_Rabbit
11-17-11, 03:31 pm
Aw, what a cutie! :heart: I'm so sorry about the pet store drama! That is just awful. I'm glad that Tiger Lily is doing better though. I hope she makes a full recover! I agree with Kathlaaron that some members on here know more than some vets.

Just a suggestion but once you know that Tiger Lilly is healthy try putting a want ad on Craig's list for a female guinea pig. Check both the community pets section and the for sale section. Also when you search just search for "guinea" that way you get people who list guinea pig or guinea pigs. (you'll also get some chickens but you should be able to weed those out. lol)

I have two young kids too. They are so cute with the guinea pigs. My 4 year old is my big helper but 2 year old is more like anti-help lol . My kids like to sit on the couch, watch TV and feed the GPs their veggies after school. It's so cute. I try to involve the kids in the guinea pig care as much as I can so they can learn how to properly care and handle little animals. =D

Best of luck to you, your family and the new piggy! I hope she heals soon!

pinky
11-17-11, 04:13 pm
Don't take her back because they'll probably euthanize her. Take her to a vet that specializes in exotics so she can get medical care.

Piggie Mom
11-17-11, 04:43 pm
I am looking at the cages that are sold on this site. I really want to get her one soonish. My husband thinks we should get the biggest one. He still thinks we should keep looking at rescues and craigslist like we've been, but they never have any. The other rescues still haven't answered, I sent emails again before I got the girls and after and still no answer. Wish they posted a number because I don't think they check their emails or it goes to spam. I found a listing in my area for a guinea someone is having to give up, but they do not know the gender and have no way of posting pictures for me. I sent the sexing link to them, but no response. They had it for a couple of years, but they are moving and can't/won't take it with them. We have lots of space to keep them quarantined for 3wks or longer, especially since the other has a very large cage like the ones on here. I just need to know if its a female or not. If its a male I will pass for now. I just don't want to deal with the risk or possibly losing the male if I got him fixed.

lovemyguineas
11-17-11, 06:54 pm
Your piggy is adorable. :love: Glad she is doing better. Hope she continues. Good luck finding more piggies and I am glad your hubby thinks you should get more....lol

Piggie Mom
11-17-11, 09:15 pm
Your piggy is adorable. :love: Glad she is doing better. Hope she continues. Good luck finding more piggies and I am glad your hubby thinks you should get more....lol She is going to the vet tonight. She coughed a couple of times. She is acting fine, but it didn't sound right to me, so she is going in to be safe.

I FINALLY found some in my area, 3 had just been given away and still waiting to hear from the other. She has two females who are a bonded pair. Will keep them on opposite ends of the house from Tiger Lily for a whole month just to be safe if I get them. I really don't want another yet, still sad about Petunia, but Tiger Lily needs someone sooner or later. She is so young and I don't want her to be alone. I asked my husband for a C&C kit instead of photography equipment. One is more important than the other. I can shoot with natural lighting, so studio lighting isn't huge. Hoping he lets me get it in the next week. :)

lissie
11-18-11, 12:20 am
If you don't buy the kit, you could easily make the cage by yourself. Have you seen these links?

How to Make a C&C Cage (http://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm)

Cubes (http://www.guineapigzone.com/supplies/cubes)

Coroplast Sources (http://www.guineapigzone.com/supplies/coroplast-listings)

Edit to add:
Are you only feeding alfalfa hay? Baby pigs need grass hay too. You can feed any type of grass hay, timothy, orchard, etc. Alfalfa is a legume hay and high in calcium. It's only used for feeding extra calcium.

lovemyguineas
11-18-11, 09:32 am
She is going to the vet tonight. She coughed a couple of times. She is acting fine, but it didn't sound right to me, so she is going in to be safe.

I FINALLY found some in my area, 3 had just been given away and still waiting to hear from the other. She has two females who are a bonded pair. Will keep them on opposite ends of the house from Tiger Lily for a whole month just to be safe if I get them. I really don't want another yet, still sad about Petunia, but Tiger Lily needs someone sooner or later. She is so young and I don't want her to be alone. I asked my husband for a C&C kit instead of photography equipment. One is more important than the other. I can shoot with natural lighting, so studio lighting isn't huge. Hoping he lets me get it in the next week. :)

Hope you get your cage. I agree with Lissie, you could build your own cheaper and from what I see , it is not hard at all. I can't wait to build one. I have been searching for coroplast in my area, and waiting for a reply back:o.

My2Girls
11-18-11, 09:49 am
Hope to hear that the vet say's Tiger Lily is okay. On the cage, It was cheaper for me to build my own. I spent 40 on the cubes' and 32 dollar's on coroplast (mine is a 2x3x2) and I use old towels, and some fleece blanket's we have laying around the house. Plus I was too impatiant to wait for it to be shipped to me :rolleyes:. Either way tho, good luck on getting it built and like i've been told...please post some pic's when you get done.

My2Girls
11-18-11, 10:42 am
Piggie Mom,
If you arn't able to get those pig's you talked about earlier, there is a place in Florence AL that adopt's them. Here is a web site you can look at. Pet Search Results: Adoptable Pets in Florence, AL: Petfinder (http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelter_id=AL79). Wanting to help and hopeing all goes good for you :)

Piggie Mom
11-18-11, 11:23 am
Piggie Mom,
If you arn't able to get those pig's you talked about earlier, there is a place in Florence AL that adopt's them. Here is a web site you can look at. Pet Search Results: Adoptable Pets in Florence, AL: Petfinder (http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelter_id=AL79). Wanting to help and hopeing all goes good for you :)

I already spoke to her last night, she is the one I've been waiting on the reply back for forever and a day. :) I think my other messages have been going to spam, because when I sent one again the other day she got back to me. :D She doesn't have the girls anymore, only the boy, so I am waiting to see if he is fixed because I don't want Tiger Lily to be in danger. Tiger Lily is way too young to deal with that, and I wouldn't want to risk it anyways. I hear piggies don't handle it well. Plus, I'd end up keeping them all! But thanks. I appreciate the help. :)

Piggie Mom
11-18-11, 11:32 am
I do remember reading about building the cage, so thanks so much for posting the link. I saved it.

Tiger Lily is fine. Vet said its a very mild URI and was surprised at how healthy she was despite her rough start at the pet store. She explained that they get sick because they are so used to bad conditions, then when they get adopted they are taken good care of and it can cause them to get sick. Kind of like a shock to the system. She HATED them holding her on her back briefly to check her over and made a huge fuss. We all got the giggles with that. She is VERY spunky and gave them heck. She just wanted her teddy bear and her mommy. :heart: Anyways, we have meds and she should be better soon. :)

All of the guinea vets I spoke to wanted me to take her back, but I said no. They didn't want to even bother with her. The vet she saw last night used to treat all sorts of animals in FL about 3 yrs ago, so she took very good care of her. She also told me about another guinea vet that never even came up in my search. A little over an hour away, but well worth it. :) So I am going to take her to him in a few days for a check up, sooner if there is any change. :) Oh and they think she is really young too. Like maybe 6wks.

Piggie Mom
11-18-11, 11:35 am
If you don't buy the kit, you could easily make the cage by yourself. Have you seen these links?

How to Make a C&C Cage (http://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm)

Cubes (http://www.guineapigzone.com/supplies/cubes)

Coroplast Sources (http://www.guineapigzone.com/supplies/coroplast-listings)

Edit to add:
Are you only feeding alfalfa hay? Baby pigs need grass hay too. You can feed any type of grass hay, timothy, orchard, etc. Alfalfa is a legume hay and high in calcium. It's only used for feeding extra calcium.

She gets Alfalfa and Timothy. :)

Piggie Mom
11-18-11, 10:03 pm
Heard back from a rescue. She has two very beautiful piggy sisters. She wants to set up a playdate, but I told her it has to wait until I know Tiger Lily is recovered. I would hate for her piggies to get a URI. They do pass those to other piggies right? Hoping we can get them, but as long as they get a good home that's all that matters.