Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

kariwalbert

Cavy Slave
Hi!

I am a first time cavy owner and I'm loving it. I rescued my first piggy (Lady McButterPants-when you see her pic you'll understand) two weeks ago from a daycare who wasn't taking care of her and I adopted my second piggy (Mo) yesterday so she'll have a friend. They are still in separate cages. Mo is still pretty skittish. But I plan to introduce them little by little this week until they can be put together in the new cage I built them.

Their new cage is a 2x3 C&C with fleece. I wish I could have made it bigger but we just don't have the room. I make sure, however they get at least 3 hours (or more) floor time.

I am really enjoying them. I had hamsters as a kid, so I had no idea how much personality a guinea pig has! I love hearing all their sounds and getting to know them. Lady has gotten pretty comfortable with me now- she's even started getting picky with her food (she'll take lettuce over red peppers, thank you very much!). I look forward to when Mo gets more comfortable and they can play and cuddle together.

Any good advice or tips- please let me know. I've been pouring over the various sites trying to learn as much as I can.

I have 2 questions so far- the new cage is all black wire but the shelf tops I bought only came in white. Has anyone ever painted these and if so what kind of paint did you use?

Also- what have you all found is the best way to give them their Vitamin C? Crushed tablets? Liquid? And how do you get them to eat it? Thanks!!

Kari Newbie Newbie

Don't put vit c in water. It doesn't help. Vit c should be received through foods high in vit c. You said you were providing that. You can ditch the drops and/or crystals.

It's good that you made them a C&C. A 2X3 is not recommended for 2 pigs. Minimum for 2 is 2X4.

Introductions should be done all at once. Doing it "little by little" is extremely frustrating to them. Each time you introduce them, they have to start their dominance dance over. Introduce them one time and do not separate unless there is bloodshed.

Welcome to the forum! You've got cute pigs, and I especially love that abby.

Most of us don't give extra vitamin C unless the pigs aren't eating sufficient vegetables. And it's not recommended to put it in the water, as some pigs will drink less because they don't like the taste. If you have to give it, you can crush a plain vitamin C tablet and sprinkle it on their lettuce.

You can paint anything they can't chew. But if they can reach it with their teeth, leave it whatever color it is. The paint that comes on the grids is baked on and tougher, and less likely to peel off in strips when they chew it, although it does come off.

Wow! Great advice all! Thank you!

I hadn't thought of the whole starting over to establish dominance thing but that makes total sense. No one has been in the new cage so at least that will be neutral territory and hopefully not a fight. I think Lady will just be so happy to have a friend- right now she follows the cats around snorting at them. How long do you suggest until I put them together? A few days?

I would be painting the lid of the cage so they wouldn't be able to reach it but I will definitely keep an eye out just in case.

I feed them a good variety of veggies so I'll just make sure I keep giving them veggies with lots of vitamin C. Thanks everyone!

It's not a good idea to introduce IN a cage - especially one that isn't that spacious for two. Introduce out in an open area - or close off a portion of a room, etc but don't use the cage.

You might want to get a petstore cage to attach to the 2X3 to give them a LITTLE extra room until you can make a 2X4.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.