Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bloated Not positive, but I believe my piggy might be bloated?

CherryGumBall

Cavy Slave
Hello all,

I was looking at my girls today for their weekly looksee/checkup, and I noticed that one of my piggies (Maybelle) had a particularly large tummy that very very slightly protrudes at the sides. I've had a look around here and Guinea Lynx, and I'm thinking she might be bloated. Now, I don't want to draw conclusions too easily, since she may have just gotten a bit chubbier, so I decided to ask for anyone else's advice. She's running around fine, eating, drinking and pooping and I don't see much of any lethargy, but I believe when I lightly tap her side I think it sounds slightly hollow, at least from what I can tell. (I don't really have too much reference to go by.) I don't really know if this is gas that will pass, or she's just eaten a bit too much this week, but I just wanted to get some more opinions.

Thank you!

pinky

Cavy Slave
As long as she's pooping, eating and acting normally, I wouldn't be concerned. With bloat, their mid section swells up like a balloon and you can easily hear the hollow sound when you gently thump on their stomach. They are in a lot of pain, so you can see that they are in distress. They don't want to eat and they stop pooping.

CherryGumBall

Cavy Slave
Hey there,

Thank you so much. I was getting a bit worried for her there. Yeah, she doesn't seem to be in any distress, and she's chattering along normally with the other pigs. And for future reference, essentially bloat would be easily distinguishable from the rest of the pigs/normal pig?

Thanks so much again, I guess I was just being a little worried there. Now that you mention the pooping and lack of pain, she is quite a hungry piggy, so that's probably it. Thanks once again!

Cheers!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she's running around and eating and drinking normally, she's not bloated. Bloat is a very serious condition, and your piggy would likely be puffed up in pain and not moving very much.

But if you're not already doing so, you should weigh her every week and record the weights. That way you'll be able to tell if somethingis going wrong.

There's not any chance that she might be pregnant, is there?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The protruding sides could mean ovarian cysts. How old is she? Has she been acting hormonal?

guineapig_girl1

Cavy Slave
Has she been around any males? I had a pig that I thought was bloated and a few weeks later, we had two pups. If it were me, I would definitely look around and see if she has been near any males. Have you been feeding her more? Has she been acting hungrier?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.