Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n trying to go vegetarian

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
I just saw the meat your meat video an now i have decided to try to go vegitarian then maybe slowely vegan. I have a few questions about going vegan. Like whst kind of things you can eat and don't eat. Any comments/ advice would be helpful. Thank You!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) Is a good source for what to eat for going vegan.

Congradulations! I now have been vegitarian for more than three months, you will love it!

cavy_upstairs

Cavy Slave
yeah, its only been a few days and im lovin it! you will too :D

yay! i got my mom to go vegetarian now!

Last edited:

kalrik

Cavy Slave
Vegan is ten times harder to do than vegetarianism. Bread even has dairy in it. Almost every restaurant you go to will have several vegetarian dishes( i guess depending on your area), but vegan meals are rare. I also think that right now the dairy substitutes are terrible, especially soy cheese. I would definitely cut the dairy out slowly transition into it. I am an ovo lacto vegetarian but I don't drink milk, eat ice cream, eggs (rarely), or butter, I do have cheese.

Pasta is good, and meals consisting of vegetarian meat likes worthington, gardenburger, and morningstar with your veggies are good meals too. My favorite meals are Amy's dinners, they are at most grocery stores I have been too. They have stuff like vegetarian meat loaf, soooo good. Good luck!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Wow! Good on you for making this decision. My advice would be to take it slowly. Be a vegetarian for a couple of months and then ease into being vegan. Slowly give up cheese, and then milk etc

laura220

Cavy Slave
Hey that's great to hear! I'm only vegetarian but I'm trying to go very gradually vegan.

It was easy for me to drop milk(think of the pus in it!*barfing*), I drink soy milk and use it in my cereal. Eggs was pretty easy too but I still eat a bit of both in baking. I've been trying to find egg replacer but it's hard. Never liked cheese anyway. Chocolate I had to stop eating cause of cavities so that was easy too though I do have a piece every now and then.

Well good luck with it and I hope you can persuade others to make the same good decision!

You can gets lots of protein from nuts(love them cashews!) which you'll need.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Yes, nuts are very high in protein, but I have been told they're high in fat too? Is this true?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Beans are very high in protein.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
Well today was my first day of being a vegetarian. Lunch was hard becaseu i really like chicken fingers and they have those at school but i was good and had pizza instead. I am not sure if i will ever become a vegan that seems really hard to give up all the dairy. That would take me a long time to become.

I am jsut going to try being a vegetarian first. I don't know how I will do but i am going to try. Hopefully i will succeed! I have only tolf my best friend that i was thinking about it so i don't really know how my parents will take it. I don't think they will really mind. (I never really ate meat anyway)

Is there anything i should be eating more of not that i don't ahve meat in my diet?
Thanks for all the support!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Will you still be eating fish?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Oh, and well done for getting through lunchtime!

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
I don't like fish anyway.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Do you know what quorn is? Is it sold where you are? Because that is very high in protein . It is nearly 80% protein so I make sure to eat it regularly.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
I have no idea what it is.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
My grandma wants me to eat chicken nuggets or a turkey sandwich tonight. What is something else i could eat?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Ok, basically it is just a meat substitue. Like, soya and tofu.

Um...could you cook some rice? Here's a quick dish - fry some red onions (or normal) in a saucepan. Throw in some cumin seeds, sweetcorn and grated carrot. Add salt and pepper. Add in white rice and stir for 2 minutes. Add in some water (double the amount of rice. So if you addded half a cup of rice, add in 1 cup of water). Put the lid on and simmer the rice for 10 minutes.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
That sound good but i don't know if i have the ingredients. I am going to try to find something in the house for me to cook. I will make a shopping list of some food i can eat and ask my mom to get it or i will get it myself.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
what are some good things that i should put on my list?

kalrik

Cavy Slave
Vegetarians don't get enough b12, you should look up where you can get that. I think it's in soymilk, you can also eat it in like powder form. Good sources of protein are in all your vegetarian meats too.

RustBottum

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what b 12 is. I was wondering if there is anything i should be eating more of because i don't have meat in my diet?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.