Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding My Girls Stink! -_-

RandomOne

Cavy Slave
Hello fellow cavy slaves!
I have two 1 year old female pigs; Poppy and Daisy
i love them to pieces but my only problem is they STINK...and i mean burn your nose hair stink :yuck:
I have tried fleece, shavings, megazorb, carefresh, cardboard (finacard), woodpellets, you name it, i've tried it..But still the same result: 2 days after putting it in the cage with twice daily spot cleans you almost faint with the stench every time you walk into the Piggie room :eye-poppi
Ive tried bicarbonate of soda under the bedding, i've tried cagefresh granules but NOTHING seems to work...>(
Suggestions?

pinky

Cavy Slave
How large is your cage?

RandomOne

Cavy Slave
My cage is 120cm x 58cm
They also get daily floortime.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A few ideas:

-- How big is your cage? A small one will always smell. Larger ones allow for more drying of the bedding, and don't usually have as much odor.

-- Has it always been this way, or is this a fairly recent change?

-- Does the fresh urine smell, or just after it's been in the cage for a while? An odor to fresh urine is often a sign of a urinary tract infections.

-- Some owners complain that some foods cause the urine to smell. Cilantro is often mentioned, although mine love it, eat it, and have no problems.

-- The smell of peed-on hay is overwhelming. Do you keep most of the hay up in a hay rack, or is it down where they can pee on it?

Edited to add: I see your post about cage size -- that's small for two pigs (check the Home button above for recommended sizes). Do you have a floor-time pen that you could keep them in for several days and see if that solves the problem?

RandomOne

Cavy Slave
Its been going to for a while now, but im starting to find it unbearable
It isnt the fresh urine, no.
Mine dont eat cilantro :)
The hay is in a hay rack

I have tried keeping them in their playpen before, (the playpen is a huge puppy playpen..its bigger than my bedroom, lol!) and the smell remains the same

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm out of ideas.

The folks at Cambridge Cavy Trust in the UK have a great reputation with cavies. I believe you have to be a member, but you'll probably get your money's worth many times over. I'd contact them and see what they say.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.