Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Lazy during floor time?

Wizard

Cavy Slave
I've had my two girls for over a year and at first I understood why they didn't do much during floor time even when I setup little veggie runs for them. They weren't used to floor time yet so that was understandable. About a couple months later they started walking around and everything without veggies but after ten minutes of walking around talking to each other they'd just sit in the middle of the pen.

So flash forward to about a couple months ago. The two girls started gaining extra weight because of how short of time they'd walk around, not even run. One is two ounces over weight and the other is three ounces overweight so I'm concerned.

I'd like to know how to try and get them to run during floor time and exercise more. I do hear them occasionally, and by occasionally I mean rarely, running laps in the middle of the night around their cage too. I'd love any suggestions to get them active in their floor time - or while they are in their cage too. Thanks for reading.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You could put tunnels, hideys, paper bags, toys in the floor time area. Spread them out so they have to move to play with them. Same for veggies, spread them around so they have to move to get them. Like from one end of the area to the other.
Piggies are curious, so I they will have to check it out.

Wizard

Cavy Slave
That's what I've been doing but I took the veggies out of floor time a week or so ago to cut back, maybe I'll rig up a game or something for them to go with the toys and food together. Thanks!

kirsty91

Cavy Slave
I've heard of some people putting a sheet over the area making a "tent" so they feel more enclosed. They might just be nervous out in the "open." also do you do the play time in the same place or does it vary?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.