Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello from MsRobin

msrobins

Cavy Slave
Hello - My name is Robin. I recently took over the care of my college son's guinea pig Quincy. I had a gp when I was little. I enjoy Quincy, but am afraid he is lonely. He was with a partner, but after being separated this summer, they fought terribly bad - to the point of serious injury - when they were reunited.

Quincy now lives with my husband and I. I fear he is lonely. I handle him everyday and just want him to be happy.

Robin

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! And thank you for taking care of Quincy.

Guinea pigs are definitely herd animals, and prefer to be with their own kind. Is it possible for you to get a friend for him? Most rescues will let you bring Quincy in for an introductory "date" to let Quincy pick out his own friend. Depending on how old he is, he might do well with a boar pup.

How did you do the reintroductions? If they've been separated, you have to start from scratch. Read Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the Introductions section is about halfway down.

msrobins

Cavy Slave
I purchased a cage with a removable wall for acclimating new partners. I live in a small community and they do not take gp's at the shelter. My option is a pet store.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Welcome and we love pictures of piggies here!
Depending on where you live, people on here can help you locate a piggy needing a good home.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you'll post the city you're closest to, we'll help you find a rescue or a shelter. Many will set up "piggy trains" to transport a pig closer to where it needs to be. Or check on Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder. Or Craigslist or Kijiji. There's almost always another choice than a pet store.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I agree that Craigslist is a great option or even Freecycle if you have it where you are. You're a great mom, stepping up to care for Quincy. I wish more parents were like you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.