Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I need some help!!

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
Recently, a lot of people are saying that they can find people feed stores that are close to them and I truly can't find one that sells guinea pig supplies. I am wondering if someone here can help me...I might just be searching in the wrong places. We have one feed store, but they sell nothing related to guinea pigs or any members of the rodent family. I live in Miramichi, New Brunswick, Canada and my postal code is E1V 4S1. Also, Does anyone out there know of an affordable web site for supplies in Canada? I can't seem to find any that don't cost an arm and a leg for shipping. I have looked for these things myself and can't find them, but I feel that with all the debate that has been going on lately that maybe I should try again and see if you guys can have better luck then me.

ps: I do not need hay because I will be getting this from a local farmer for only $1-2 a bale.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I get my guinea pig stuff from a horse feed store - strange, but the bedding and hay they have is the same for guinea pigs. And the horse feed they give is of the same company (allen and page) of the guinea pig pellets.

emithebug

Cavy Slave
Blah. I had a reply, but I moved it because I need an answer fast!

Last edited:

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
The horse feed that they have is quite dry and I personally wouldn't feed it to my guinea pigs. I would rather go to a farmer that has nice green hay, but its good pellets that I cannot find. I drove to the 3 cities (like 15 hours of driving all together) nearest me and went to every pet/feed store there is and all they have is alfalfa based pellets and nobody has a distributer that carries the timothy based ones. I am really running out of options. I buy them the best alfalfa based pellets, but it can be difficult because I have to monitor how much veggies I give them that contain calcium too, because I don't want them to get bladder stones or anything.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I think Evangaline on GL feeds her pigs horse pellets because she can't find good pig pellets. She lives in Eastern Canada too, so maybe it's a costal problem. Why don't you hop on over to GL and search for it under her user name? You might find something helpful.

onyx979

Cavy Slave
Which cities have u been too? I'm trying to do some "googles" for you but i'm not sure how far you're willing to travel

onyx

onyx979

Cavy Slave
ok here is a page with a whole lot of feed stores for all of N.B

(broken link removed)

i hope this helps

onyx

Marlania

Cavy Slave
I know how you feel. Two years ago, I moved to a highly agricultural/livestock area, so I thought that I wouldn't have too many problems finding food and supplies. I was totally wrong. We have a really nice feedstore, but for the longest time, they didn't carry anything for small animals. I kept asking for hay, and they started bringing in huge bales of alfalfa. I'm like wonderful, but that doesn't help me any. Then a few weeks ago, I was grabbing the cat and dog food I ordered, and low and behold, Oxbow hay was on the shelf! They still don't have any pellets, but after having pestered them enough, they eventually started ordering things for me. I've done the driving thing as well, as well as called around to many places. The closest place I can find something good is 2 hours away in another state. Shipping is also pretty expensive, but I've had some luck getting the feed store and one vet to order stuff for me. Maybe you can find a store or vet willing to order something for you if you agree to purchase a certain amount. Good luck!!!

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the link Onyx979...My father actaully works at the coop in Miramichi and unfortunately he suggest that I not feed the hay there to my piggies because it is kinda dry. I am actually willing to travel to moncton or bathurst for pellets (Fredericton is a little far though). I believe I have already been to the one in Bathurts, but I will call them to see if they can get any pellets for me. Since the Moncton one is also a Co-op, they will more than likely have the same products as the one here in Miramichi, but I will contact them to see.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.