Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Is there anything i can do?

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
DSCF2233.jpgDSCF2234.jpgDSCF2238.jpg
Hello! I REALLY want to expand my cage because it is below the minimum size. It is divided down the middle because i have one girl and one boy guinea pig, but my problem is that its in the middle of my living room/ tv room so my parents don't want it to be any bigger... here are some photos to help you understand the space i have. Any suggestions or is there nothing i can do? Pooh Tigger and I thank you! DSCF2226.jpgDSCF2235.jpg

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
Do you have the ability to go up?

You could make a stacked 2x3 cage, so both pig has the minimum requirements. If you think this is an option, check out the photo galleries for ideas on how to build them one on top of the other. Or maybe someone can add pictures to this thread to show you.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Whatever you do, you need lids on those cages, ASAP! Tight, clamped-down lids. What you've got won't keep that male out for a minute when the female goes in heat. Closet shelving makes great lids, and there are all kinds of clips at hardware stores that will keep the lids on.

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
if i build them on top of one another how would i get to the bottom cage and clean it and such? Thanks

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
we've had him for a year so far and nothing yet. He's actually SCARED of Pooh (my girl)

Catahoula

Cavy Slave
if i build them on top of one another how would i get to the bottom cage and clean it and such? Thanks

I'm hoping someone else can advise on this. I've only seen all the pictures in the galleries, but never built a stacked cage on my own, so I'm not 100% how it works.

I know it's possible to hinge the grids to make a door of sorts. That would help you get into the bottom one. And I've also seen pictures with an extra row of grids between the 2 cages, so that one is on stilts instead of directly on top of the other.

OllieandFriends

Cavy Gazer

If you made them three or four cubes high in total it would work, I've seen pictures like this in the gallery. They had a cage on the bottom, then an opening that was two cubes high on one side, while around the rest of the cage it was completely closed off (I think it was for stability) then they had the second cage on the top.

Edit: Kind of like this:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=23607&title=picture-677&cat=2

Last edited:

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
is that open wall strong enough to hold the second cage?

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Another option is to neuter your boar if he is old enough, and house them together. They would both be very happy, I imagine.

My only concern with you building up is that the pigs won't have any contact through the grids anymore, possibly leaving you with two lonely pigs. However, without neutering the boar, it seems to be the only option.

I would neuter the boar. It is a simple surgery and having a girlfriend will make him feel great once he has recovered!

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
Neutering is an option yes. Do you know what the price would be around? If it is too expensive i do not think i would b allowed. and even after the surgery he will still try to mount her won't he? What are the risks of neutering a guinea pig?

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Prices vary widely for neutering-you'll have to check with some qualified vets in your area. Prices range from $100-$300 as I've seen listed here.

If you have an active piggie shelter close by, they sometimes will offer discount neutering services by their house vet.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Neutering will vary, you'll have to call your local cavy savvy vet to ask. I would call around and get prices, but make sure your vet is experienced in this kind of surgery. Can you ask maybe for this for christmas? Or ask for money and ask for them to pay for part of it, and you'll pay for the other part with the money you get?

A stacked cage is a good idea. I can show you a picture of how my old cage looked.
771.jpg

One thing you wouldn't have to do is have that middle grid for support. If you used grids and used zipties ALL over, it will hold up very well on its own. I know that because right now my cage is a 2x4 stacked and it holds together very well. If you have questions feel free to ask, or I could make a video showing you how the bottom looks if you'd like.

Here is information about neutering.
Guinea Pig Neutering, How to Neuter your Guinea Pigs

Seriously consider neutering though because it would be awesome for your piggies to have a friend and someone to bond with.

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
i don't really know if any of the vets around my area specialize in guinea pigs :( i don't know! but i do like the look of your cage there ! but i don't think i have room for that length i was also thinning of putting the cage in my hallway? would you like me to post a picture of what that space looks like?

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
You would not have to make your cage into a stacked 2x5, I was just trying to give you an idea. Right now your cage is basically a 3x3. What I would recommend you doing is making a stacked cage that is 2x3 if you cannot neuter your guinea pig. Right now I have a 2x4 cage, so I will make a video for you in the next couple of days to give you a better idea. The only difference would be that yours would be one less grid the long ways. It would fit perfectly in the spot you already have the cage.

About the neutering, have you even called around to see if anyone could do it?

lissie

Cavy Slave
I see empty space next to the cage. Can you move things around? If you move the lamp and speaker out of the way, you can put the cage in that corner, and would be able to make a 2x6 and split it into 2x3.

If you build a 2-grid high stand, you'll be able to store a lot of things under the cage.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Can you move that recliner to another place in the room? You could expand the cage length wise. The length of 3 grids is fine for one pig but the width of 1.5 grids is what you might to expand.

Is neutering an option? If so, after that 2 or so week post surgery time, they could both enjoy an expanded 2X4 cage together. Ohhh no scratch that! I just noticed that without the divider, it's actually a 3X3 cage. That would be just find as is for 2 pigs, I think.

Also, in that pic with the one pig on the cushion, the other pig is next to the first. Unless one is fixed, that's a dangerous position to put them in.

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
when they play together we keep a VERY close eye on them, believe me. and its usually only for 10 minutes because Pooh ( the one in the cusion) always runs back to the cage.I want to move the recliner. IF parents would let me, it would have to be into another room because there is no room in this one.

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
You would not have to make your cage into a stacked 2x5, I was just trying to give you an idea. Right now your cage is basically a 3x3. What I would recommend you doing is making a stacked cage that is 2x3 if you cannot neuter your guinea pig. Right now I have a 2x4 cage, so I will make a video for you in the next couple of days to give you a better idea. The only difference would be that yours would be one less grid the long ways. It would fit perfectly in the spot you already have the cage.

About the neutering, have you even called around to see if anyone could do it?
that sounds good !

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
Picture 672.jpgI have stacked 2by4 cages. They are nice and tidy looking, so I am sure your parents would approve. I think neutering is a great idea if you find a GREAT vet for it.

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
i don't think my parents are going to let me expand. Its not fair because i know they need a larger space. :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.