Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids grids in Australia--where can I buy them?

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
Hi there,

I'm a new cavy owner with two young boars, 3 months old. They are currently housed in a commercial 60cm by 120cm cage and I'm desperately looking for grids here in Australia.

I've been to Bunnings, Target, K-Mart, the Reject Shop, the dollar store, all with no luck so far. Can someone in Australia please advise me where I can find them? I really don't want to have to order them from the States and pay a fortune in shipping.

Thanks so much.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The information I have says that Bunnings and Big W in Perth carry them, but I don't know how current that is.

If you've already tried those places, maybe you could consider closet shelving. That's what I used for mine. It's sturdier and requires less time to construct, but isn't as versatile when you decide to remodel.

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
Thanks. Big W is the only one I haven't tried yet. The closest one is 30 minutes away.

I've been to two Bunnings so far (and of all places, they seemed the most likely) with no luck. Lots of metal closet shelving, shoe racks, but no cube storage.

Is there a thread on how to make a cage from closet shelving?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You just zip tie it together. If you click on my name, then on Gallery, then on the number of photos, you'll see a few pictures of my cage.

The fronts, backs, and both lids are made from 16" deep shelving, cut to 6' long. The ends of the bottom are about 32" and the ends of the tops are about 16". There's no floor to the bottom, but there is to the top, because it has to support the top coroplast box.

The home improvement store where you buy the shelves will cut it for you -- it's hard to cut, but they have heavy duty bolt cutters. It's cheaper to buy the big pieces and have them cut than it is to buy the ones already cut to the right length.

There are also other closet shelving cages in the Photo galleries.

Missnay

Cavy Slave
Big W don't stock them anymore :(

I've searched far and wide, ( hardware stores, discount stores, large chains etc) and can only find them online. Rubbermaid sell 3 cubes for about $30.

(broken link removed)

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much, both of you. Awesome!

And Missnay, you saved me a trip to Big W for nothing. :)

I'll look into ordering the cubes off the Rubbermaid site and we should be able to get the corflute at one of the local sign shops here in Perth. I think I'll check out the closet shelving ones in the gallery too just to see what I'd prefer.

Thanks again...I can't wait to get on this project and have happier piggies...

PIGGYandCHILLI

Cavy Slave
i saw grids at bunnings in sydney but they are like $12 for 5 grids and there is only 1 pack left.
anyway if you can't find one you can consider buying it overseas.
hope this helps!

kacie

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

I ordered mine from here. They're made out of material, so they aren't wire cubes, and they're shorter, but my pigs don't jump, so it's not really a problem for me (the air still circulates, so don't worry about them being suffocated). They only cost me $30 including postage and there're heaps of panels in there - enough for a 2 x 4 with kitchen area and a run enclosure as well (but like the wire grids, not enough connectors - I used pipe cleaners, or chenille sticks or whatever they're calling them these days...) Some are small squares and some are longer rectangles - have a good look at the picture in the link - I thought they were the same size as the ones from Bunnings. This is what mine looks like... (the ramp is also made out of the grids, but bent - a long rectangular one for the slope, and the shorter square one for the landing...) Be quick though - the online places in Australia seem to run out of anything even remotely resembling storage cubes! Goodluck :)

P.S - yes I am aware that the corflute/coroplast goes on the inside of the cage - my pigs eat it though, and they don't eat the grids...

kacie

Cavy Slave
P. P. S - if you have a Signwave in Perth, I got my sheet of corflute in Sydney from there (like 180cm by 250cm) for only $25!

voiletmay

Cavy Slave
I'm in Brisbane and you can only buy them at Bunnings. The brand is Allset and it is $14 for 5 grids only. Bunnings used to sell the Rubbermaid ones and they were brilliant, but not anymore. They are hard to find in Bunnings, they are in the storage aisle.

There is an ebay seller called Sunrise Imports (broken link removed) - you find them by searching "wire storage cube". Next time I need a whole heap of grids I am going to try this ebay seller. This is better as you get 16 grids in one pack. No idea what this Sunrise company is like though.

Last edited:

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
Still no luck at Bunnings. And the Lifespace site no longer carries those Rubbermaid cubes.

I'm going to try the Sunrise folks on ebay. Wish me luck.

Who knew these cubes were so tough to find here?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Without reading back, have you considered closet shelving? It's easily available, very sturdy, and makes a great cage.

sewlittle

Cavy Slave
sometimes Kmart and Target, if you find them on the online store will ship to the store for free. Walmart does that too.

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
There's no Walmart in Australia (I wish) and I can't imagine what it costs to have them shipped from the States.

Have been to Kmart and Target. Neither have them.

I'm asking my mother to bring some over from Canada in her luggage next week. Hope it doesn't put her over on the airport scales.

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
I'll look into closet shelving if I can't find any cubes at all...

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
Just an update...

Lifespace.com.au no longer stocks the Rubbermaid cubes.

I sent an enquiry to the Rubbermaid company asking about who stocks their cubes and received the following reply:

"Thank you for your enquiry – I apologise for the delayed response.

Unfortunately, Bunnings no longer stock this product however it is still available for purchase online through one of our online distributors, Elimor.

This product is not yet loaded onto their ‘shop online’ section of the website, however if you get in contact with them directly, they should be able to assist you in obtaining this product.

You can view their contact details here: (broken link removed)

I hope this helps! Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any further questions."

So, that is one possible option. The Sunrise importers on ebay is another but the shipping costs can be prohibitive. Sunrise is charging AUD$44.90 for 17 grids (4 cube set) and for one 4-cube set to be shipped to me would cost about $34, plus insurance.

(broken link removed)

Luckily, my mother bought them on sale this week in Canada for CAD$18.89 and she's bringing three sets over in her luggage when she arrives for a visit...even playing for her extra luggage is cheaper than having three sets sent from Sunrise.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/canada/65643-canadian-tire-grids-sale.html

Last edited:

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
hey guys i have been reading your threads to see where i could get the grids in australia queensland. i looked every where and when i saw the date and year you guys were saying the threads in i was upset :( that i wouldnt find them. today i went to bunnings at booval 1 hour from brisbane and i found heaps and heaps and heaps of them but only in white lol. they were 13.50 for a pack of five so i got three packs to build my cage i was over joyyed i cant wait til i get back from hoildays and buy some guinea pigs i am getting four lol

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I got quite a few packets of grids at Bunnings in Cannington, WA.

Japonica26

Cavy Slave
They must have just started stocking them again. I went to three Bunnings in the Perth area back in October and they looked at me like I had three heads.

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
these people were fantastic they new what i was talking about and toke me straight to them and yeah they must be stocking them again cause there was heaps and heaps dozens of them

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.