Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! How do I get my Tatertot up and at 'em?

tatertot101

Cavy Slave
Hello! I have had my guinea pig for about a year and a half. I know guinea pigs at that age are lazy, but when I take him out, he just lays down. Is it ever too much? Also, how are so ways I can make his cage more fun without too much money or too much craft. I am not good at either one of those, and his cage is so big! BTW, he was bought in a pair, but the other was bullied by Tatertot and died after 4 monthes, so that wont work either! Help!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know that year-and-a-half-old guinea pigs are lazy -- mine are two years old, and they run around like madwomen. They don't, however, like floor time, so they don't move much when they're "out."

How much does he weigh? And since you already have a big cage, is there a possibility of getting him a friend?

tatertot101

Cavy Slave
well, like I said, after four monthes, his "buddy" died. He bullied him at night and pulled food away from him. He even confined him into the igloo we bought, so I would consider him "not a good playmate".

PickyPiggy

Cavy Slave
Some guinea pigs are just naturally lazy. My almost 2 year old guinea pig does the same thing, but my 4 year old guinea pigs loves to run around and explore my room. There not together, because the older guinea pig doesn't like the younger guinea pig.

tatertot101

Cavy Slave
Are there any toys you use?

wrongdecade

Cavy Slave
Does he like interacting with you? I've only just got my piggies so they're still getting used to me but I sit by their cage with one panel open (like a door) and hold food in my hand, they come up and sniff, nibble food, run away. Sometimes I kind of 'chase' them with my hand along the floor (think of The Thing crawling hand from Adams Family - that's what I do). They, being piggies, are a bit nervous but soon enough they popcorn around the place.

If you have a C&C cage that is quite large, maybe you could make a small second-story platform with some of the existing panels and put food up there so he has to go up a ramp to get it. That would get some exercise happening and he would still have a good size area on the bottom to stretch his legs.

Other ideas for cage:
- Vegetable hanging kebob
- Stuff a toilet roll tube with hay and/or veggies

Otherwise you could possibly consider another guinea, but maybe you could do introductions first to see if they might get along.

Good luck!

tatertot101

Cavy Slave
He actually does have a second panel. I think because we go on so many long term trips, that he doesn't exactly trust me the way he used to, so i can try to start over a healthy relationship with him at Plan A. I will try the one "door" open feeding thing, and the toilet paper roll idea(thanks for that).

Thank You!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If both your pigs were adolescents when the bullying was going on, the survivor may have grown up by now and be on much better behavior. You can hope, anyway.

If you'll post the name of a city you're near, we'll help you find a rescue or a shelter. Many of the rescues will arrange for you to bring your pig in and let him pick out his buddy. In fact, some of them will insist on it.

tatertot101

Cavy Slave
ill do it now.

tatertot101

Cavy Slave
Done. I think there is an ASPCA but do they take guinea pigs?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Try the fleece forest to give your guinea pig something to do. It's fun and easy to do.

tatertot101

Cavy Slave
I love it, but my guinea pig chews everything! It is safe if he takes a nibble?

KiwiCavyAdorer

Cavy Slave
Some animals don't move if they don't have a reason to move, or aren't really moved by joy or aren't thriving happy (those are all emotional motivations to move and interact with their world. If you go away as you said it could be that he is a bit depressed, especially if as you say you think this is why he has lost his trust in you.

Perhaps making him different levels for him to access his food for example would be good, my piggie has 3 levels so when he moves he has to step up or over or down, if he wants to go to certain beds he has to climb to the second storey. And when he runs he has to jump after a bit. His outdoor playpen is all flat, and he runs about in that most when I cover the whole thing with towels so he feels safely hidden from the bird calls...

tatertot101

Cavy Slave
Thanks, I still have to get around to the outdoor pen thing...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Great! You're close to one of the best guinea pig rescues in the country -- Texas Rustlers Guinea Pig Rescue. That's where I got my two.

About the fleece forest, I don't think he'll nibble it. There are a jillion pigs housed on fleece, and I don't think anyone has ever complained about them eating it. If you make it on a loose grid, and just hang the grid in the cage, then if he chews you can just take the grid out.

tatertot101

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much... Hey where can I get fleece(not crafty--like I said)?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Any fabric store. Most of the malls will have a Joanne's, and you can usually find a Hancock Fabrics in a smaller strip mall.

tatertot101

Cavy Slave
Does Hobby Lobby work?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Yeah Hobby Lobby has lots of fabric and fleece. Look on line for printable coupons to get usually about 40% off at Hobby Lobby. You could also buy cheap fleece throws and cut them up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.