Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Fleece bedding ideas - making a liner?

C1407

Cavy Slave
For those who use fleece:

First I have a quick question to ask: How long do you have before it STARTS to smell (not until it really smells bad)? I'll most likely have 2 pigs and it will be in a 2x4 cage, and I'll probably be using 2 layers of Uhaul pads underneath. My mom is worried about the smell, so I want to be able to tell her about long it can go before she'll start to smell anything. Keep in mind, she won't be used to it like other current owners, so keep that in mind!

Onto the real point of this thread:
What works best when using fleece as a bedding? I'm mostly thinking about whether or not the pigs will scrunch up the fleece and how easy it will be to place the fleece back into the cage.

So do you make a throw or something? Does it go up and over the coroplast sides of the cage, or just cover the bottom of the cage? If I'm using 2 layers of Uhaul pads underneath, do those get sewn to the fleece? And if I do that, I would need a layer of fleece underneath as well to keep it all together? If I do it that way, would the urine go underneath the uhaul pads and sit on the cage bottom unabsorbed or in the bottom layer of fleece?

Does sewing everything together make it harder to wash it clean compared to washing the uhaul pads alone and uncovered?

Please help me figure out what's the best way to go about this. Right now I'm thinking mostly about how pigs would scrunch up the fleece, but if everything was sewn together, it would be too thick/heavy for them to do that, right? So it wouldn't matter that it doesn't cover the sides. But would it be better to cover the sides of the coroplast so they don't scrape themselves on the edge of it?

Also, links to instructions for any methods would be appreciated.

C1407

Cavy Slave
10 days and no opinions :( I got some help on a different thread, but I'd appreciate more opinions and insight

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Sorry you didn't get any feedback on here, sometimes a post gets moved down the list so fast and people only see the newest posts when they log in. In the future you might want to try plugging your key words into the search box on the top right side of the page.
Now onto your questions. I have seen people use binder clips to keep the fleece in one place, I just tuck it under the grids. I don't use the coroplast because I haven't settled on a cage set up yet. I also use smaller pads in the heavy traffic area and switch those out every other day, seems to keep it from smelling. Good luck with whatever you decide works best for you and your piggies!

kacie

Cavy Slave
My grids are on the inside of the corflute base and they sit on top of the fleece so the piggies can't move it. On the ramp and the kitchen I use pegs to hold the towels and fleece in place. I use two layers of towels with a fleece layer on top. My pigs are litter trained and they don't seem to make much of a mess excrement-wise (but they're really good at spreading hay everywhere!) I change out their bedding once a week but I never notice a really unpleasant smell - I highly recommend a litter box... But I change out the litter box everyday...

guinea_lvr

Cavy Slave
I have a C&C cage with fleece, but I'm still working out details, too. My piggie doesn't dig or chew on everything she sees, so my setup might not work for you. First, I have a layer of that really squishy shelf liner on the bottom. Then I have 2 puppy pads side-by-side (two of the 24x24 size for my 24x48 cage). On top of that, I have a single layer of fleece that does not go up the sides. There are two hidey houses (which partly hold down the fleece), and each one has a cardboard cereal box in the bottom - particularly for the corners. I then put some Carefresh in the corners - a handful or two.
I just recently switched from bagged/store hay to KMS 3rd cut Timothy, and the new hay sticks to the fleece more than the old did, so I will probably put a smooth pillowcase or something near the hay rack. My daily routine is to sweep up scattered hay, poops, and Carefresh, then dump soiled Carefresh out of the cardboard corners and put new in (replacing cardboard if necessary). Once a week, I sweep everything, remove the fleece (which gets washed) change out puppy pads, put fresh fleece down, fresh cardboard corners with Carefresh, and we begin again! I like to use Carefresh Ultra, because it is white and I feel it is easier to monitor if there are bowel issues. Plus, I don't use very much, so even though it is a little pricey, it does not break the bank.
I have not had any odor issues. Typically the sweet smell of the hay is stronger than any bad smell. Maybe by day 6 or 7 there is a slight tinge, but only when I am right by the cage, not in the room in general. One thing to note is that fleece will wick away urine, and cotton (your U-Haul pads) will hold it in. That means two things: the fleece is good to have as a top layer, so that it draws moisture away from the surface, and the cotton is good to have underneath, because the moisture still needs to be collected somehow. I cannot weigh the pros/cons of sewing everything together because I use a different method, but it sounds like it might work. There are LOTS of methods that you will find on this site, and they all have different amounts of success. The setup I have is convenient for me, which means I am consistent with cleaning, which makes for a happy piggie! :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I made fleece pads with fleece on two sides and either cotton batting or uhaul pads in the middle. I have three per cage so I can take one out at time and shake it and replace or flip it. I have a single layer of uhaul pads underneath. I have two 5 lb weights and two cobblestones holding down the four edges where the fleece overlaps in the middle so none of them dig. You can use single ply fleece over the absorbent fabric or one pad to fit the cage. All of these ways work. I chose this method so my pigs can stay in the cage while I clean it. The pads are easy to wash and handle.

C1407

Cavy Slave
I made fleece pads with fleece on two sides and either cotton batting or uhaul pads in the middle. I have three per cage so I can take one out at time and shake it and replace or flip it. I have a single layer of uhaul pads underneath. I have two 5 lb weights and two cobblestones holding down the four edges where the fleece overlaps in the middle so none of them dig. You can use single ply fleece over the absorbent fabric or one pad to fit the cage. All of these ways work. I chose this method so my pigs can stay in the cage while I clean it. The pads are easy to wash and handle.

Ok I'm coming back to this again. I think in another thread you mentioned leaving half an inch all around to sew together? So if I have 2 uhaul pads on the inside, then 2 sheets of fleece - 1 on either side, I connect the fleece edges together and then should have around half an inch on all sides to sew it together?

Also the thing I've been concerned about is leaving the coroplast edges exposed. Does anyone know if it's bad for the pigs? Are they likely to scrape themselves on it at all? The edges don't seem too sharp, but I'm not sure if it's still bad enough that it might still cut them.

If I had scraps of fleece left over, could I maybe just tape one side of the fleece to the outer edge of the coroplast and let the other end fall in and have the pad sit on it the edge of the fleece to hold it in place? I'm trying to keep functionality and aesthetics in mind but that's all that came to mind right now...

guinea_lvr

Cavy Slave
I don't know of anyone having an issue with the edge of the coroplast. They might chew on it some, but as long as no edges are at a height where they would get scraped just by running past it, I don't think you should fuss with covering it. Besides, the fleece will just wick any urine onto the coroplast, making more cleaning for you. For making the pad, I've seen lots of methods. If I were doing it, I would make a "sleeve" or "pocket" out of the fleece, then make sure the U-Haul pads are cut to fit, slide them inside, and stitch the opening shut. You can then stitch through all layers in a few places to hold everything together. I would just be concerned that it's going to be difficult to stitch through all 4 layers and keep a straight seam around the edge, not jam your sewing machine, etc.. (or hurt your fingers, if sewing by hand)

C1407

Cavy Slave
I don't know of anyone having an issue with the edge of the coroplast. They might chew on it some, but as long as no edges are at a height where they would get scraped just by running past it, I don't think you should fuss with covering it. Besides, the fleece will just wick any urine onto the coroplast, making more cleaning for you. For making the pad, I've seen lots of methods. If I were doing it, I would make a "sleeve" or "pocket" out of the fleece, then make sure the U-Haul pads are cut to fit, slide them inside, and stitch the opening shut. You can then stitch through all layers in a few places to hold everything together. I would just be concerned that it's going to be difficult to stitch through all 4 layers and keep a straight seam around the edge, not jam your sewing machine, etc.. (or hurt your fingers, if sewing by hand)

Oh, yeah I didn't mean stitch through all 4 layers, just more like what you said, stitch the 2 layers of fleece together with the pads inside. But I'll definitely use that pocket idea (well, admittedly, I'll let my mom know to do that:eek:)

C1407

Cavy Slave
I have another question pertaining to fleece but didn't want to make a new thread for it.

Regarding the hairs in the washer, I know my mom will not be pleased when she finds pig hairs in the washer and especially if they end up on our clothes. What's the best way to keep pig hair from getting all over the washer? I don't know if there's a lint trap or something to clean out afterwards or not. If it makes a difference, it has a lid on the top.

I'll probably shake it out, vacuum it (right?), but then what? Should I try one of those sticky lint rollers on it, or will that just end up ruining the fleece? I saw in another thread from about a year ago that I could put the fleece in a pillow case and tie up the open end to wash it without getting hairs all over the washer - is this something I should do, or is that bad?

Please offer me any ideas that can keep hairs from getting all over the washer!

preacherman

Cavy Slave
Someone had mentioned a hair removal brush from Petsmart in a thread. I think it was called hair-b-gone or something. They even posted a link to it on the internet. They said it works wonders on removing hay and hair from the fleece.

On another note, I have had my guinea pigs for a week tomorrow and there is still NO SMELL. It is awesome. I use two layers of UHAUL pads and fleece. I am changing it tonight, but like I said...no smell. I have two guineas in a 2x4 cage with loft. I also poop scoop it daily. I will try to find the link to it and post it later. Good luck.

guinea_lvr

Cavy Slave
I have one of these, and they are great!

(broken link removed)

I don't know about any lint trap in a washer. I know it's good to clean the dryer trap out after each load. The pillowcase method should work. Depending on how much space everything needs, you may want to get a larger pillowcase - like for a body pillow. And don't fill it too full, or the fleece will not come as clean.

Last edited:

preacherman

Cavy Slave
I found the brush that was recommended. I knew I had went to Amazon to find it and found it in my recently viewed history.

(broken link removed)

guinea_lvr

Cavy Slave
Those 2 products are similar. In many stores, in the cleaning aisle (near brooms, dustpans, etc..) you should be able to find something. They have rubber bristles, soft and flexible, that just do a great job of catching the hairs. I think it's a combination of the rubber doing some gripping, and static electricity. Clumps of hair can be removed from the brush with your fingers, and it can be rinsed (or washed) if you like.

C1407

Cavy Slave
Awesome, thanks both of you. Hopefully I'll check them out tomorrow.

I have one of these, and they are great!

(broken link removed)

I don't know about any lint trap in a washer. I know it's good to clean the dryer trap out after each load. The pillowcase method should work. Depending on how much space everything needs, you may want to get a larger pillowcase - like for a body pillow. And don't fill it too full, or the fleece will not come as clean.

Yeah, I know about the dryer but I had seen people mention on a different thread something about some washers having them too, but maybe only the front load ones? Not sure exactly, I'm not that washer-savvy.

Also, what do you mean don't fill it too full or the fleece won't be as clean? What am I not filling as full?

preacherman

Cavy Slave
she means don't fill the pillow or the washer too full with fleece and pads. It will need room to be agitated in order to come clean. Yes, usually just front load washers have traps or filters.

guinea_lvr

Cavy Slave
yes, what preacherman said =)

C1407

Cavy Slave
Alright thank you very much :)

C1407

Cavy Slave
Ok so I got one of these today (broken link removed) at petsmart (sorry, I looked at a bunch of other stores and they didn't have a single thing like this!). I know this is one of the 2 recommended (they also had the other kind).

Just want to make sure it works well so that I don't waste money on it! Currently don't have pigs, so I have 60 days to return it. Is this a really good one to keep?

preacherman

Cavy Slave
one woman swore by hers. She said it was great. Please let me know what you think though. I haven't gotten one yet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.