Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

frustrated

schezleigh

Cavy Slave
sooooo frustrated with my oldest piggie!! Out of the blue he has decided that the entire cavy cage is his! My baby is allowed to run around but not the other one is bein constantly herded in to the corner away from the food and water grrrrr I think I will have to change Alfreds name to "Walter". They have lived together for a really long time too and now there is an issue! Any one else have this issue and if so what have you done to resolve it? Alfred aka Walter has been quarantined to his own private cage but I am not happy about it as I would rather he was with the others than on his own :(

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Can you provide more information about your pigs? (total number of pigs, ages, how long you have had them, cage size, etc.)

How many food bowls and water bottles do you have? If you have two boars, it would be best to have at least 3 of each of those.

If you have any hidey houses in the cage, I would take them out and just use step stools and fleece/towel tents over the corners of the cage. That way, every hidey has multiple exits, and bickering pigs can't get trapped.

Also, do not separate and then reintroduce the pigs multiple times... this will lead to stress on the pigs and will exacerbate the symptoms you are seeing. When you separate pigs for some time then place them together again, dominance needs to be reestablished. That means that the pig that is chasing others is probably going to continue this activity, and likely with more aggression and persistence as he feels he needs to establish himself as dominant again.

If you can provide us with more information regarding your pigs, more helpful solutions can be provided.

schezleigh

Cavy Slave
I have 4 pigs 3 of which share a 2x5 grid cavy cage. Alfred is approx 16 months, Morgan around 1 year and Philbert is 4 months give or take. All are boars and the older two have lived together peacefully for 9 months. I added Morgan to the mix just over a month ago rescued from friends whos cat was tormenting him. I have 2 feed bowls, two water bottles and 3 litter pans.
Alfred started herding Morgan away from all the food and water about a week ago after I added corner tents to their cage :( Irealize that I should not separate them but Morgan is starting to look a little thin poor little guy. We are adding a penthouse suite this weekend perhaps more space will help?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.