Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

*WHY* are the commercial cages all small?

C

ChicagoCanine

*WHY* are the commercial cages all small?

Hi,
I have always noticed how small most commercial cages are for any small animal. Most of the pet cages- for hamsters, cavies, ferrets- I've seen are either too small or they have a small floor with many levels above (still not much floor space).
What I don't understand is *why* all the cages are so small? You would think there would be a marker for a nice, larger cage? I don't get it... I suppose cages are made small because the companies think people don't want a larger cage taking up room, but you'd think they would realize that some people do have the space or want to give their pets the correct amount of room to live in and would buy larger cages if they were available, but they are not...

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: *WHY* are the commercial cages all small?

My theory is manufacturing and shipping constraints (also read cost), and predominantly convenient shelf space in the typical pet store.

L

lyliecarter

Re: *WHY* are the commercial cages all small?

I think there are lots of 'experts' out there who believe that guinea pigs can lead perfectly happy lives in 2x1 foot cages. They think they don't need that much room to live. We don't need that much room to live either, but how many people, eat, drink, sleep, play and socialize in our bathrooms?

Shipping costs does add price to a larger cage. I think too that when people buy a pet that doesn't cost much, that they don't want to spend a lot more money buying a larger cage when the employee says that a smaller, much cheaper cage will do.

Susan

Attachments

bandit.jpg smokey.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.