PDA

View Full Version : Hi! New here!

Leofwynne
10-16-11, 06:23 am
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and interested to learn all I can about keeping happy and healthy guinea pigs. We just got two males from a couple of college kids who couldn't keep them (my husband and I are suckers for homeless animals), and are in the process of moving the poor things from a ridiculously small storebought cage to a C&C cage setup. We've got three kids (3, 5 and 13), and three dogs (a corgi and 2 beagles) and three housecats. So far, all is going well. It looks like one of the pigs is definitely the dominant one, and the other, not so much. The kids named them Phineas and Ferb. We've been giving them floor time at least once daily for a hour or so with the cage frame for their new cage (an L shape, approx 4 grids x 3 grids), and trying to handle them at least a few times a day, which seems to be helping, although neither of them seem really happy to be picked up. Will that improve over time with gentle handling? I hope so. They really seem to like carrots, red grapes, and apples, too. Is a fruit or vegetable daily enough to help them with vitamin C, or should I supplement with a liquid?
We're really happy to have our guys here in our home, and I'm glad to be here!

OllieandFriends
10-16-11, 06:39 am
Hello and Welcome! (I'm amusing that your kids named them after the Disney TV show? My brother named his Perry after the platypus lol)

The veggies should be giving them enough vitamin C as long as they get enough veggies (1 cup a day for each piggie) the chart here: http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/22156-read-me-guinea-pig-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html is really helpful as are the example menus here: http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html

Please post pictures of your boys too! We would love to see them! :)

Leofwynne
10-16-11, 09:00 am
Hi! Yes, they were named for the Disney show...a favorite around here! They both do that teeth-chattering noise when they get upset, so at first we were going to call one of them Perry, but didn't want to call the other one Doofenschmirtz. ;)

Thanks for the links to the menus. I'll post photos as soon as I figure out how. :)