Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie with lots of questions.

Mimi Smith

Cavy Slave
Hi!
I recently adopted 2 guinea pigs 3 weeks ago. I am really enjoying them. I purchased a C&C cage and change things around each week adding new things, making it bigger. So I have some ?s. For instance: Does moving the cage around okay? I am unsure as to whether I should handle them daily. They seem to be terrified but do settle in when I wrap a towel around them. One even started to doze. Then when I put them back in they run around like crazy which makes me wonder. But then they start nibbling on food which makes me think they are content. I want to do right by them.

I would appreciate any help.:silly:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hi, and welcome to GPC!

If by moving the cage around, you mean moving things that are in it around, that's perfectly fine. If you mean moving the whole cage to different parts of the house, that could put them off a little. But as long as it smells like home (e.g., like them), they should be ok.

Yes, handle them daily, and give them treats while they're on your lap. A grape cut into small pieces makes a wonderful treat, or just give it to them whole. Don't overdo the sugar -- you can just give them part of their daily vegetables that way. Mine also adore dill and cilantro, both good treats.

You can start by reading. First, Guinea Pig Education, Care, Rescue and Adoption at Cavy Spirit -- the articles are down the left side of the page. Next, the stickies on the diet and nutrition forums here, particularly three: Ly's food chart, the discussion thread for the food chart, and the sample menus. Look over the pictures in the photo gallery for ideas on ways to house/entertain your pigs.

And then, post us some pictures so we can see them!

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I can't wait to see pictures of your piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.