PDA

View Full Version : I am a NEW MEMBER and NEW OWNER of a Guine Pig!

Claudia Dantas
10-02-11, 12:22 pm
Hi All

My name is Claudia, I am from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

I Just bought CUCA 5 days ago and I am tottaly in love! She is a baby, very sweet and cute.

I have other animals at home and ALL of them accepted CUCA very well! One of my dogs just adopted her! And Cuca thinks that she is her mother lol

My cats didnt make any agressive movent, they are curious, but not agressive, and they are a kind of afraid of her... soo funny!

My birds just want to be arround of her.

Yes.. I have dogs, cats and birds that lives together, free, and without fights!

Don´t be afraid, Cuca wont be arround of them without suppervision!

I joined thsi forum because I want to build a gooood cage to CUCA and she has her own bedroom!

I am learning a lot in this forum! tx a lot!

Nibles230
10-02-11, 12:25 pm
Welcome! Right now you have one guinea pig. Correct? Later on you should get a second one so the guinea pig will have a friend.

Claudia Dantas
10-02-11, 12:27 pm
Do Guinea Pigs need to live in groups?? or thay can be single?? :D

Kelly91513
10-02-11, 12:28 pm
Welcome! I think it is amazing that your big dog treats your baby piggy as her baby :)

Kelly91513
10-02-11, 12:29 pm
At least in pairs if not groups. Singly they can become depressed and lonely.

Claudia Dantas
10-02-11, 01:30 pm
Sry.. one more question... Can I wait to buy a new one or it has to be right now?? Cuca is very sweet and I want that keeps on this way, I can spend a lot of time with her, so i think that I could spay her, and when she adult I could get a new one... In this way I will be able to give special attention to new one.

CavyMama
10-02-11, 02:39 pm
Please check out shelters or rescues in your area rather than buying. Buying contributes to breeding mills which compound an overpopulation problem. Stores look at their living animals as merchandise. Adopting gives an animal a new lease on life.

bpatters
10-02-11, 02:54 pm
Claudia, your pig will be far happier spending time with another guinea pig than with you. She certainly won't object to you, especially if you're the one who brings food, but they're herd animals, and they need another of their own kind.

Also, please do not put her out with your other animals. She's a baby, she's incredibly skittish and quick, and if she darts away, their prey drive may kick in and they can kill her before you even can react. When she's older and calmer and fatter and slower, it might work, but you've got the possibility of a disaster in the making there.

Please don't buy another guinea pig, although she needs a friend -- there are many thousands of homeless pigs who deserve good homes. And pigs who are in petstores have been bred in breeding mills in horrible conditions, and are often ill and missexed. If you buy one, you just encourage the store to buy another to replace it, and the breeder breeds more to replace, and the cycle just keeps going.

CavyMama
10-02-11, 03:00 pm
Your piggiy is very cute but...why did you photoshop her into the large pic of your dog?

sdpiggylvr
10-02-11, 04:30 pm
Welcome, Claudia! You have a very beautiful guinea pig! :)

As others have said, your guinea pig needs a same-sex friend to live with. You should look at shelters and rescues in your area instead of buying a guinea pig from a breeder or pet store. There are many homeless guinea pigs in shelters and rescues that need your help! Consider saving one of them.

Take a look at this page. It explains a lot about guinea pigs and their social needs: Guinea Pigs Social Life (http://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm).

Be sure to take advantage of all the great things this forum has to offer! The C&C cage page (Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home (http://www.guineapigcages.com)) and veggie charts (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/22156-read-me-guinea-pig-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html) are very helpful. Be sure to also visit http://www.guinealynx.info, too!

Again, welcome! :)

Claudia Dantas
10-02-11, 04:49 pm
I live in Brazil, and Guinea pig are not so popular, I am a Veterinarian, but I dont work with exotic animals. I got Cuca from a friend´s client that bought a copple and had babies [they are spayed now]. We dont have shelters here. So, to get a friend to Cuca I have to wait for another chance to get one just like her. We even dont have much places that sells them here. Just the Mills ones that I would never buy from them. :D

Claudia Dantas
10-02-11, 04:50 pm
Your piggiy is very cute but...why did you photoshop her into the large pic of your dog?

I didnt photoshop them! They just like each other!

Claudia Dantas
10-02-11, 04:52 pm
Welcome, Claudia! You have a very beautiful guinea pig! :)

As others have said, your guinea pig needs a same-sex friend to live with. You should look at shelters and rescues in your area instead of buying a guinea pig from a breeder or pet store. There are many homeless guinea pigs in shelters and rescues that need your help! Consider saving one of them.

Take a look at this page. It explains a lot about guinea pigs and their social needs: Guinea Pigs Social Life (http://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm).

Be sure to take advantage of all the great things this forum has to offer! The C&C cage page (Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home (http://www.guineapigcages.com)) and veggie charts (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/22156-read-me-guinea-pig-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html) are very helpful. Be sure to also visit http://www.guinealynx.info, too!

Again, welcome! :)

I live in Brazil, so it is very expensive to buy these amazing things that you sell, I am planning to go to USA next year, I bet that I bags will be full of things to CUCA!!!!!!! I even could adopt a guinea pig while I am there :D

CavyMama
10-02-11, 05:01 pm
You could adopt while you are in the US but I think there are restrictions about taking animals out of the country or there may be restrictions on the other end of bringing animals into Brazil.

You might try looking in your local newspapers or if there is some version of Cragslist in your country. Maybe word of mouth, ask around at the vet office. They might know someone trying to rehome.

Claudia Dantas
10-02-11, 05:03 pm
Claudia, your pig will be far happier spending time with another guinea pig than with you. She certainly won't object to you, especially if you're the one who brings food, but they're herd animals, and they need another of their own kind.

Also, please do not put her out with your other animals. She's a baby, she's incredibly skittish and quick, and if she darts away, their prey drive may kick in and they can kill her before you even can react. When she's older and calmer and fatter and slower, it might work, but you've got the possibility of a disaster in the making there.

Please don't buy another guinea pig, although she needs a friend -- there are many thousands of homeless pigs who deserve good homes. And pigs who are in petstores have been bred in breeding mills in horrible conditions, and are often ill and missexed. If you buy one, you just encourage the store to buy another to replace it, and the breeder breeds more to replace, and the cycle just keeps going.

She is VERY CALM... She doesnt get stressed when she is with the other animals, She dont run away and the other animals just dont care to her. My friends who is an exotic animal vet, told me that I am lucky because she is very calm and she likes that we touch her.

My other animals are very special too... Cats and dogs don´t chase my birds [they spend more time outside the cage than inside of it.]

I wont let CUCA be with them without suppervision, I never did it with others and I wont do it with her!

CavyMama
10-02-11, 05:04 pm
You can edit it to include the correct quote for 10 minutes after you posted. You posted 4 minutes ago so just click the "edit post" button to change it.

bpatters
10-02-11, 05:06 pm
Claudia, you can take things back for your guinea pig, but taking a guinea pig on an international flight is a nightmare of airline and government regulations. It's just not worth it.

Which city is your exotic vet friend in? There's a poster on here and one on Guinea Lynx who are in Brazil, and they both struggle with finding good vet care for their guinea pigs. I know Brazil is a huge country, but maybe your friend might have contact with other exotic vets in other Brazilian cities? If you think she might, let me know, and I'll put these two posters in touch with you or her.

Claudia Dantas
10-02-11, 05:06 pm
I will say to Cuca´s mother owner to keep in touch, if one of her sibblings doesnt have a good home I will take it!

Claudia Dantas
10-02-11, 05:07 pm
You can edit it to include the correct quote for 10 minutes after you posted. You posted 4 minutes ago so just click the "edit post" button to change it.

Tx.... :D I didnt know that and I deleted the post and created a new one... I promise I will learn about the forum :)

Claudia Dantas
10-02-11, 05:10 pm
I live in Rio de Janeiro. My friends are really good exoctic animals vet. I iwll get their contacts and I will post at Guinea Lynx! :D

Regiane
10-03-11, 07:22 am
Hi Claudia! I'm from Brazil too, I live in Valinhos, São Paulo. :)

I have 3 guinea pigs, they live in a C&C cage. You can find the things to make one where you live (I know there's some stores in "Mercadão" that sell the grids and conectors that you'll need).

About adopt, yes, we don't have shelters here, but there are people that ask help to find new homes for their guinea pigs, babies or adults, in my portuguese forum (http://porquinhosbr.poeticforum.com/).

I sent you an email asking informations about vets. :)