Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage timothy hay?

grapeflvr

Cavy Slave
hay questions:
1. in your opinion, what is the best quality hay brand that comes cheaper and fresher by ordering directly rather than from a store? and please give me the link:)
2. i have two somewhat old female guinea pigs. how much hay should i order at a time?
3.what are the pros and cons to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cut?
4.at kleemanas, they have a "super" 2nd cut. what does the "super" mean?
please and thank you :)

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Kleenmamas is the best quality and price for bulk and I see you've already found it.
1st cut us the "toughest" and "stemmiest" and has the most fiber. 2nd cut is softer and when there is a 3rd cut (not always) it's even softer, like orchard grass.

I think the "super" just refers to the fact that it was a good cut and the hay is good quality.
This is what it says on their site:
"It's green, leafy, less stemmy than regular 2nd cut"

I would order the big box-I think it's 25 lbs? because they go through A LOT of hay. But if you don't have room to store it, then you may want to order smaller amounts.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
grapeflvr, the answers to your questions about KM hay are on her website at (broken link removed).

The best quality hay you can find depends entirely on where you live. If you're in horse country, there will be dozens of farms around that grow good grass hay, and you should be able to buy it for $5 a bale or so.

If you buy online, shipping costs become a factor. Hay costs about the same across the country, but if you're close to one of the shippers, you'll pay far less than someone who's thousands of mile farther away.

The hay growers/shippers we recommend are (broken link removed), (broken link removed), and (broken link removed). I'm sure there are others, but we know these to be reliable and to provide good hay. You can look at their websites to see how much their hay and shipping is.

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
I use Oxbow orchard grass and will not go back to Timothy hay. The grass is soft, easy to place into the utensil holders I use as hay racks and easy for the piggies to pull out.
I have skinnies so I can/should only use 3rd cut Timothy if I have too. It's softer and it won't hurt their bare skin. To avoid over grown tooth I provide lots of wooden toys. To substitute for the thickness of Timothy hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.