PDA

View Full Version : Question about my GP to be picked up from Petco

jayval
09-26-11, 11:10 am
Hi! I introduced myself yesterday. 2 questions:

Waiting for my C&C cage before I pick up my GP :)

1)..I stopped by the store today just so my daughter could spend a lot of time with the GP to make sure she didnt have an bad allergic reactions, as with some dogs she is allergic to saliva, we believe cause she gets red bumps when they lick her, and we think there is a possibility of dander but only slight..But her reactions are usually just a few red small hives or rashes, no sneezing, coughing, watery eyes, etc...She only had sneezing and bad eyes once after being at a crowded dog show for over 2 hrs in a congested room with over 200 dogs....My sister also has cats doesnt seem to bother her when we go to her house, and no farm anumals see to be a problem...
She seemed fine today with GP, she was nuzzling with the GP for 5 minutes, maybe 5 minutes later I may have saw a small red mark, but who knows we were in a pet store, could have been anything, and it disappeared right away, saw another appear, and it went away while still in pet store....Do you think she will be Ok with a guinea pig..She is only 3, and would have limited time with it..Also, would be kept in my hubbys office, which is not the family room we are in all day...I plan on spending a lot of time with the GP when she is at school, and at night when she sleeps..Thoughts? We do go to her allergist in a few days so I can also ask..Cause she has Peanut allergy...

2) after seeing GP again today, his nose seemed a little runny, and the petco employee agreed that they are bringing him to vet first to be looked at, so if he has a cold, or whatever, they would treat him, and i wouldnt be able to get him for 7-14 days after meds..This scared me, am I starting off on the wrong foot?..Of course i want a healthy GP, and this is a baby we believe, only got to Petco 4 days ago...I guess its good the vet will be seeing him before I bring him home..

I would be devastated if this didnt work out as I love this GP, adn we already named him Twix....

Thanks everyone!
Jamie

lissie
09-26-11, 11:31 am
I'm glad you are doing research before you get your guinea pig. Please don't buy your guinea pig from a pet store. There are so many homeless guinea pigs out there looking for homes. If you do decide to get one, please adopt. Look at petfinder.com for rescues and shelters near you.

As your daughter has allergies, I do not recommend getting the guinea pig. They need hay at all times and that could cause more problem than the pigs themselves.

I myself suffer from asthma. Before I got my guinea pigs, I took both my kids (5 and 7 at the time) to an allergist to get them tested for grass and guinea pig dander. They were both tested negative. 2 years later after having the pigs, both my kids tested positive for guinea pigs dander. Since they are mildly allergic, we are keeping the pigs and try to manage the allergy as best as we can.

My allergist has recommended me to rehome the pigs. But I don't agree with him. Since my kids are more allergic to the pollen outside. Keeping the pigs do not affect them that much.

rosypeppernme
09-26-11, 11:42 am
If your daughter is 3 I'm assuming this guinea pig is for you. In my opinion I would be a little concerned about the guinea pig being sick already. Guinea pigs that are from rescue shelters are treated for any sicknesses before they are adopted and are usually very healthy. Some rescue pigs are at those shelters because there owners children are allergic. That is very sad. :sad: So please be sure that your daughter is not. If this guinea pig is really for you and you feel you are going to have a great love for guinea pigs. I would definitely adopt 2 from a shelter as apposed to one. They should have companionship from another of their species. Good luck

jayval
09-26-11, 12:02 pm
I understand but we have been goign thru this for a long time, with adopting dogs, etc..And I know the whole thing about pet stores, etc....and still no pet...Petfidner is not 100% legit, I have been warned by many...The problem is, I fell in love with this particular one, and there is no way I can turn my back on this little GP ya know now..I am attached to him....As far as the allergy, We are unsure if she has an allergy...So far no issues with 2 exposures to the GP..
Anyone here ever get a GP from a pet store with success?

Also, in the worse case scenario my sister who is an animal lover and experience would take the GP..And Lissie, I agree, if they ar enot having much reaction, I woudl not rehome them..Maybe he said that because of your asthma?..What reactions do they get? My daughter never ever sneezes, coughs, has watery eyes etc..I thought all dander was the same? Is guinea pig dander ,much different from dog dander?

jayval
09-26-11, 12:04 pm
I woudl also be exposing all of us to the hay before we bring the guinea pig home..I already ordered the cage from C&C and have all the supplies :) None of us have any allergy issues with grass, hay etc...

bpatters
09-26-11, 12:36 pm
And I know the whole thing about pet stores, etc....and still no pet...Petfidner is not 100% legit, I have been warned by many...The problem is, I fell in love with this particular one, and there is no way I can turn my back on this little GP ya know now..I am attached to him.

Petfinder is perfectly legit -- most of the listings come from rescues or shelters, and they're very easy to check out.

As far as falling in love with that particular little one, what about the one(s) that come right behind him? Because the pet store will order another one from a breeder, and the breeder will keep producing more guinea pigs, and homeless pets will just languish in shelters. Also, I hope you've got a vet fund handy if you're buying from a pet store.

Also, ditto lissie about making sure that your daughter is not allergic before you take the pig home. You might also check to make sure she's not allergic to hay as well -- hay allergies are much more common than guinea pig allergies, and the pig can't do without hay.

jayval
09-26-11, 12:39 pm
We have been on a lot of farms, etc..exposed to hay, never seemed to be a problem...But I can open the hay up soon, and see...Not all petfinder place are legit I have been warned by many dog breeders about this...Trust me...Thanks for all your advice, I understand where you are coming from...

rosypeppernme
09-26-11, 12:43 pm
Well it sounds as if you already know what you are going to do . So my advise to you now would be to find a vet that has complete knowledge of guinea pig care and how much seeing them would cost. This is very important! If your guinea pig gets to his new home and was to take a decline in health. It would happen very rapidly and you need to have a place to take him immediately before he gets too sick. Of coarse that is the worst case scenario. You could get Twix home and everything could be just fine but you should still know a vet to call. Just in case.

lissie
09-26-11, 12:45 pm
And Lissie, I agree, if they ar enot having much reaction, I woudl not rehome them..Maybe he said that because of your asthma?..What reactions do they get?

Yes. My allergist recommended to rehome them based on my asthma. My kids don't have any reaction to them. My son has watery eyes from outdoor pollen, but no reaction to the GPs. The only reaction was on the skin test.

Not all petfinder place are legit I have been warned by many dog breeders about this...Trust me...Thanks for all your advice, I understand where you are coming from...

Dog breeders? Of course they will tell you that. How else will they sell their dogs if people all go the adoption route.

Inle_Rabbit
09-26-11, 12:46 pm
My mother developed an allergy to guinea pigs years after we had them. When she picked them up and held them she'd break out in red splotches anywhere the guinea pig touched. For her it was easy, just don't pick up the guinea pigs, but for a 3 year old this would be very hard. I have two young children myself and though the guinea pigs are mine I feel like it would be impossible to adequately care for the guinea pigs without my children sometimes being involved. Even if I did nothing with the guinea pigs except during nap time/bed time there would still be the draw and curiosity of a young child to a cute small fuzzy animal. Especially a talkative one like a guinea pig! Just something to think about.

If you are bringing in your daughter to have her tested for allergies, I'd add guinea pigs, hay and pine/aspen to the tests as well. If your daughter is allergic to hay you may have to wait until she is much older to have small animals as they all need unlimited amounts of fresh hay.

All dander is different. That is why people can be allergic to cats and not dogs. It is also why when someone says, "I'm allergic to cats therefore I am allergic to rabbits." that is not true. While you might be more likely to be allergic to other animals you aren't necessarily.

More than the allergies I'd be worried about this pig being sick already. Runny noses in small animals are not like they are in people. They can be a sign of a serious issue. Runny noses, runny eyes, crusties on the inside of the front legs from wiping their noses are all signs of a sick piggy. If you go back to the store look for those signs, and look for them in the other cage mates. The problem with the large pet stores is they get their guinea pigs from breeding mills where conditions are not healthy or safe, therefore the pigs maybe not be as well. Double check for mites as well.

If someone you know has a guinea pig then I would try to visit them with your daughter and see how her skin reacts when you are not in a pet store setting. There are a ton of guinea pigs on Craigís List with the tag line ďCanít keep because Iíve become allergic.Ē It would kill me to have to re-home because of that, even if a family member was taking the animal.

I have a happy, healthy pet store pig but when I got Eddy, he was not. In fact he was beat up, under weight, sick and scheduled to be fed to a snake. Iím lucky he didnít have mites. It took more than a month for me to nurse him back to health and another month more before he started to come out of his guinea pig shell and in fact didnít start truly showing his personality until I adopted Ben who was unwanted by his owner who had become allergic and disinterested.

Best of luck, I hope your pig is healthy and your daughter isnít allergic! You are doing the right thing by researching and learning about guinea pigs. Too many people donít do that. Though I would really, really suggest looking into a rescue. You would be able to pick guinea pigs that work the best with your family and more accurately see how your daughter is with them before bringing Piggy home.

jayval
09-26-11, 12:48 pm
Ya I know I have to be honest, you just never know who to trust anymore, and I have heard this from more then dog breeders, so much info..it gets insane after awhile...Ya know...I always try to do the right thing, so I will try and do the best I can...Do all vets see GP or no? I have a great vet 10 minutes from me...As I said, Twix is already going to the vet from Petco, and they will not sell him to me unless he is Ok...

lissie
09-26-11, 12:53 pm
Ya I know I have to be honest, you just never know who to trust anymore, and I have heard this from more then dog breeders, so much info..it gets insane after awhile...Ya know...I always try to do the right thing, so I will try and do the best I can...Do all vets see GP or no? I have a great vet 10 minutes from me...As I said, Twix is already going to the vet from Petco, and they will not sell him to me unless he is Ok...

Not all vets see GPs. GPs are considered exotic pets and you have to find a vet who have enough knowledge on them.

You can find GP vets on here:
http://www.guineapigzone.com/vets (http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html)

I won't trust a Petco vet.

Here are some signs of URI.
http://www.guinealynx.info/uri.html

rosypeppernme
09-26-11, 12:54 pm
Do all vets see GP or no?

No..All vets do not see guinea pigs. Giving them the wrong med could be fatal. So just call your vet to make sure.

jayval
09-26-11, 12:54 pm
Inle, Thanks for all the Info!!
So far she did fine the two days we were withthe GP, but I still worry , ya know...Bu then again she could be fine, and then develop the allergy 2 yrs form now..So its always hard when bringing an animal in any home...Twix looked great yesterday, and only today did we notice at the store, maybe a runny nose? It coudl have been nothing, but the store said they prefer to have him off to the vet to make sure all is Ok...I will keep you all updated...And thats another thing, somene jsut posted that their kids had a postive GP allergy test, but then they have no symptoms, so in that scenario I would say why get tested..What if I test my daughter, and the same thing happens, then I didnt get the pig, there woudl be a chance of no symptoms anyway..Ya know

jayval
09-26-11, 12:55 pm
Do you all bring your GP for a yearly check up or no??

bpatters
09-26-11, 12:59 pm

-- I have no idea what you mean about the dog breeders.

-- Not all vets will see GPs, and most vets are not trained or equipped to treat them. Veterinary education includes very little about exotic animals, and the information in some of the textbooks is outdated. "Dog and cat" vets often prescribe antibiotics that guinea pigs cannot tolerate, trim their teeth when they don't need trimming, and prescribe things that they can't/shouldn't eat, such as yogurt as a probiotic.

GPs need exotic vets, which are few and far between, and expensive. If your nearby PetCo vet is trained in exotics, I'll eat every hat I've got. No vet with exotic training would need to be working for a salary from PetCo when they could have a much wider practice at a higher salary treating exotics in a regular clinic.

As far as PetCo not selling him to you unless he's ok, dream on. They'll sell you anything you'll pay money for -- just take a look at the products sold for guinea pigs that aren't suitable for them. Exercise wheels and leashes, which are bad for their backs. Food with nuts and milk products. Cages that are way too small. Care products which are not safe for them.

But don't take my word for it -- look on the Medical and Veterinary forum here, and on the Emergency and Medical forum at Guinea Lynx (http://www.guinealynx.info), and see how many people who have purchased sick pigs from places like PetCo and PetSmart. Those pigs are bred in horrible conditions, transported and housed in even worse ones, and even displayed in the stores in habitats that are unsuitable for them.

jayval
09-26-11, 01:02 pm
They said they take them to a vet not affiliated with Petco

jayval
09-26-11, 01:03 pm
So where did you all get your GP from??? Are you all telling me you adopted them all???Most for adoption are already 2 0r 3 yrs old??

Inle_Rabbit
09-26-11, 01:05 pm
.And thats another thing, somene jsut posted that their kids had a postive GP allergy test, but then they have no symptoms, so in that scenario I would say why get tested..What if I test my daughter, and the same thing happens, then I didnt get the pig, there woudl be a chance of no symptoms anyway..Ya know

Personally that would be a risk I wouldn't be willing to take. It would be heart breaking for all those involved if Piggy had to go away and expensive for you to upfront all those costs of cage, pig, vet, etc, only to rehome Piggy. You need to really think about what is fair for your daughter and the guinea pig not just what you want. I understand where you are coming from, I'm a huge animal lover and even was expecting to go vet school with plans to specialize in small exotics before I had my children but like so many things when you have kids your priorities and goals change, often putting the children first. Just think long and hard before committing to anything that you may regret later.

lissie
09-26-11, 01:09 pm
So where did you all get your GP from??? Are you all telling me you adopted them all???Most for adoption are already 2 0r 3 yrs old??

My first 2 were adopted from unwanted ads on craigslist.
The 3rd one was adopted from a rescue when he was 2 1/2 - 3 years old.
The 4th one was adopted from a rescue when he was 4 weeks old. He was dumped at a shelter along with 15+ pigs. Later on a rescue took them in and treated them for mites and adopted them out.

Pics from the shelter.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DX8OCpHwvSM/TKnzOPH0roI/AAAAAAAADxQ/yGyOVUnkcXg/4-Pig-Noses.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9X7y_rawSB4/TKnzOIGF37I/AAAAAAAADxQ/GmRmOacczPA/Too-Cute-Pigs-1.jpg

His petfinder photo
http://photos.petfinder.com/fotos/CA1364/CA1364.17524100-1-x.jpg

rosypeppernme
09-26-11, 01:13 pm

Funny you should mention that. I actually adopted my 1yr old from a friend because HER 3 year old son was allergic. My other pig is from the NSPCA and she is healthy and fine. I got her when she was a baby. Some rescues receive guinea pigs already pregnant.

Petco does take their guinea pigs off site to a legitimate exotics vet to be cared for. This is true. So do not worry about that. My concern is after he gets home. If he has one problem... sometimes others can develop. So please be prepared for such matters.

bpatters
09-26-11, 01:14 pm
I got six week old babies from Texas Rustlers Guinea Pig Rescue, near Dallas. I could have had them at three weeks, but couldn't manage to make the 5 1/2 hour drive to pick them up until they were six weeks old.

If you're on the East Coast, I can put you in touch with several guinea pig rescues that always have animals available. You can try the "Find a Guinea Pig" link at the top of the page. You can put your zipcode into Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder (http://www.petfinder.com) with "small and furry" as the Animal and "guinea pig" as the breed and probably find several animals within easy reach of you if you're at all close to a major cit.

blackarrow
09-26-11, 01:15 pm
Yes, I adopted both my boars from a guinea pig rescue. They were both young adults at the time. Personally, I think they're much better pets now that they're a couple of years old - they are both calmer and friendlier. But you can find pigs of any age in shelters and rescues or on Craigslist. Sometimes you just have to be patient.

I wouldn't trust a vet affiliated with Petco as far as I could throw him or her. They have a financial interest in telling the company for whom they're working that their animals are fit for sale.

I have no idea what you mean by Petfinder not being "legit." Are there poorly-run rescues on Petfinder? Absolutely, there are some. But you are guaranteed to be making a bad decision if you go with a pet store. If you're capable of feeling attached to one pig after a few hours, it will be easy to attach yourself to a different one.

bpatters
09-26-11, 01:17 pm
Petco does take their guinea pigs off site to a legitimate exotics vet to be cared for. This is true. So do not worry about that.

If your Petco does that, it's unusual. Mine definitely does not. I live in Houston, which is one of the largest cities in the country, and maybe the largest in geographic area, and we have only a handful of exotic vets here. If a sick pig is brought back in and the owner doesn't want to just "swap it out," (which means that the pig will be euthanized and another one given in its place), Petco will approve very limited treatment with a local, definitely-NOT-exotics vet.

rosypeppernme
09-26-11, 01:26 pm
If your Petco does that, it's unusual. Mine definitely does not. I live in Houston, which is one of the largest cities in the country, and maybe the largest in geographic area, and we have only a handful of exotic vets here. If a sick pig is brought back in and the owner doesn't want to just "swap it out," (which means that the pig will be euthanized and another one given in its place), they will approve very limited treatment with a local, definitely-NOT-exotics vet.

Our Petco in Las Vegas uses an exotic pets vet affiliated with Dewy Animal small pet rescue. So I will speak for the Petco in my city. Some Vets do have a conscience but they're not here to defend themselves are they?

faye_arv
09-26-11, 01:28 pm
I've heard of cases (read) and seen videos on youtube of petco promising to take a gp to the vet and in the end not doing anything. Make sure the gp you have selected is healthy or else don't get it. You say that you are attached to this gp, imagine how heartbroken you would be if you brought it home and its health declined rapidly. I'm not saying get your gps from a shelter, although, that would be the best, you could get just as attached to one or two gps from there. What I AM saying is whatever you decide, make sure the gp you get is at the best of health.

Also, you didn't tell us, is it female or male? If it is female, BE CAREFUL, many, many, many gps from petshops are mis sexed and the females pregnant. Ask them if you can return it if it ends up being pregnant (if you can't handle/keep the babies) or ask them if you can take it to your own vet to make sure that it is healthy and if it isn't if you can return it or they can pay for the meds and vet bill.

Read the threads on this site about pet shops and also about homecomings of new gps and see how many come home with pregnant sows. Reading is more believable sometimes than taking others word for it. To make a long story short, please make sure the animal you get is healthy.

jayval
09-26-11, 01:29 pm
Just so you all know, I am not being selfish! I have been researching dogs for over a yr, talking to breeders, etc..You have no idea...Then when I thought there is a possibility of an allergy, I researched Havanese..I am in direct contact with their rescue and a breeder should we ever get a dog..I am an intelligent person, who is totally not selfish, I devote 24/7 to our daughter, I am a stay at home mom, not a mom that would ever put my child into daycare., etc.. and would never introduce an animal into the house if she had an allergy..What Im saying to you all is, she has been with the animal twice, and no issues..So hoping she is not allergic..Not all people go to an an allegist before bringing animals into their homes to test all of their children..That woudl be ridiculous! Sorry if Im getting upset but I feel liek I being kind of attacked...And you cant go by Petfinder 100% some of those are puppy mills, etc, that are masked..And many rescues, are rescues from mills themselves...Tis Guinea pig thing happened on a whim, I feel in love with a few I saw 3 weeks ago when browsing thru the pet store for my fish food...I have researched GP totally, and would give it a perfect loving home...I am kind of a perfectionist...Im sorry if you are all upset if I get oen from Petco, but at the same time I would be saving its life from the store...

Inle_Rabbit
09-26-11, 01:30 pm

Eddy is from a pet store but he was between 6 months and a year when I got him.

Ben is from an unwanted ad on Craig's list he is between 2 and 3 years old.

jayval
09-26-11, 01:32 pm
Thanks Faye! They told me it was a male..But I will be sure to ask that..I must say the Petco by me always seems so great...I mean why woudl she even bother to say it needs to be taken to the bet to make sure...She said it before I did...I m not even sure it had a runny nose..COudl have been normal..Just a dried spot at its nose of mucus...very small...If they really wanted me to take it home, I think they woudl have jsut said its fine and sold it to me...no?

jayval
09-26-11, 01:33 pm
Thanks Rosy for that comment...

Bailey4
09-26-11, 01:36 pm
I got both of my girls from petco, they both had respiratory infections when i got them. make sure you have a good vet! I have had them for almost a year now, and no problems since the first couple weeks. If this guinea pig is the one, you should get him..but i would get 2, they are very lonely without another :)

sewlittle
I have adopted 7 guinea pigs from a guinea pig rescue that were all under the age of 1. Only one died, but it was complications from having seizures. All were healthly as the rescue would not adopt sick ones out.

jayval
Lissie, OMG!! Cutest Photo ever!!! But if I get oen from craigs list, isnt that the same issue..If they are unwanted, they could be from a pet store anyway?

rosypeppernme
09-26-11, 01:37 pm
I would like to add that I am not saying this pet store purchase is the best idea. It's just that I feel to bash a vet that is supposedly caring for Twix is kind of moot.

I agree with faye_arv...getting one that's healthy is the smartist thing you could do.

jayval
09-26-11, 01:37 pm
OK..Got to go for now, Gymnastics with my little one..Ill be back later :)

jayval
09-26-11, 01:38 pm
HOnestly, he looked healthy to me...What other signs should I look for??
I only noticed a little dried mucus, barely noticeable on the nose, right away the lady said, she wanted to send it to the vet to make sure it was 100% healthy :)

rosypeppernme
09-26-11, 01:45 pm
Lissie, OMG!! Cutest Photo ever!!! But if I get oen from craigs list, isnt that the same issue..If they are unwanted, they could be from a pet store anyway?

"Chicken or the Egg" You have to nip it in the bud somewhere. Buying from a pet store is only encouraging breeders to breed more.

bpatters
09-26-11, 01:55 pm
Im sorry if you are all upset if I get oen from Petco, but at the same time I would be saving its life from the store...

But if I get oen from craigs list, isnt that the same issue..If they are unwanted, they could be from a pet store anyway?

Jayval, the distinction is that if you purchase a pig from a store, you're just creating another slot to be filled by another pig from another breeding mill. I understand the appeal of the pig in the store -- I don't look at them for that very reason. I wouldn't be able to walk for the guinea pigs underfoot if I took every pig that I'd ooh and aah over at a pet store. That one pig deserves to live, yes, but taking that one pig means that another will just take its place -- you're just encouraging the breeder to breed more.

Guinea pigs that are in rescues and shelters may well have originally come from pet stores, but they're no longer part of the breeding mill/pet store/profit chain. Taking one of them is not going to perpetuate the supply and demand model that the pet stores and the breeders operate on. No breeder is out there waiting to supply another rescue with more animal to adopt out.

Here are some links you may want to look at before making a final decision.

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/puppy_mills/facts/pet_mills.html
(http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/puppy_mills/facts/pet_mills.html)
(https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1133)https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1133

Arlington Animal Services seizes nearly 20,000 exotic animals for import/export company - Dallas animal rescue | Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/animal-rescue-in-dallas/arlington-animal-services-seizes-nearly-20-000-exotic-animals-for-import-export-company) Texas Rustlers, where I got my guinea pigs, ended up taking hundreds of animals from horrible conditions when this place was closed. If you keep googling this, you can see pictures of dozens of animals kept in plastic tubs with no water or food, walking on the bodies of their dead kin.

lissie
09-26-11, 02:36 pm
And thats another thing, somene jsut posted that their kids had a postive GP allergy test, but then they have no symptoms, so in that scenario I would say why get tested..What if I test my daughter, and the same thing happens, then I didnt get the pig, there woudl be a chance of no symptoms anyway..Ya know

Well, that someone was me. Keep in mind that my kids are already taking allergy meds. My son is allergic to pollen, fish and shellfish. My daughter is allergic to peanuts, dogs, and shellfish. They might not have any reaction to the pigs because the meds.

Thanks! Unwanted pigs on Craigslist need you to save them. You are helping them, unlike buying from pet stores, you are paying them to make room for more, and to breed more to keep the store stocked up.

Beware of back yard breeders on Craigslist though.

PinkBelly
09-26-11, 02:49 pm
I got my GP's from Petsmart almost 2 months ago and have already spent close to $200 on Vet bills taking care of problems they had when we purchased them, just make sure it/they is healthy like everyone suggested.

lissie
09-26-11, 03:03 pm
HOnestly, he looked healthy to me...What other signs should I look for??
I only noticed a little dried mucus, barely noticeable on the nose, right away the lady said, she wanted to send it to the vet to make sure it was 100% healthy :)

http://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html

jayval
09-26-11, 03:35 pm
Thanks so much everyone! I hear ya about the pet stores, I understand now....But when is this all going to end...These mills have been going on forever, and petstores are legal, so this is something the president should address in my opinion, because I think in reality, pet stores will still always thrive, also cause people are unaware..Maybe people should start protesting in front of pet stores...Pet stores should be forced to buy from reputable breeders only...

Travelingirl916
09-26-11, 03:47 pm
A healthy guinea pig does not have any dried mucus. Sounds like a URI. Most petstore guinea pigs also have mites, which you will have to pay to buy Ivermectin and to treat the pig(s) for. Guinea pigs are social animals and need to live in pairs, threesomes, etc.

Where I got my piggies:
Precious- Free on Craigslist, person moving and didn't kids want her any more
Sweetheart and Cutiepie- Free on Craigslist, person too busy with college
Rosie- Free on Craigslist, "kids didn't want any more", really was that she had major health issuses that we resolved after adoption. Some are ongoing.

And I adopted my dog from the Humane Society.

"Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die" is the motto around here. When you buy a guinea pig (or any animal) from a petstore or breeder, you just make more room in the petstore for another animal, and more room at the mill for more animals. You also then create a demand, telling the breeders and mills to keep breeding because people will buy the animals and put money in their pockets. There is no such thing as a reputable breeder. No animal should be bred when there are millions of homeless animals. I volunteer at my Humane Society and although we do as best as we can, we still euthanize 1/2 of the animals that come in. No animal should ever be euthanized without a necessary reason, not because there are just too many animals on this planet. It is for this very reason that I only adopt animals, I do not bring more animals into this world when there are already not anywhere enough homes for the ones that are already living.

If you don't have a guinea pig rescue near you, then Craigslist is the next best thing. With Craigslist you have to be careful though, because breeders frequently post animals on there. Most cities have their own Craigslist's, so you wouldn't have to travel far to get them.

Here are guinea pig specific rescues: http://www.guinealynx.info/rescue_organizations.html
but many dog/cat humane societies and shelters also take in guinea pigs. Here is a list of guinea pig vets. http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html They are hard to come by, mine is 1 hour away from me, while my dog's vet is 5 minutes away.

SurfingPigs
09-26-11, 03:51 pm
Pet stores should be in the business of selling pet supplies, not pets themselves... selfish individuals have done a fine enough job saturating the rescues.

And you are spot on, jayval, about why these stores are still selling pets... ignorance. I, for one, didn't have a clue about the huge problem that exists in the US and elsewhere regarding guinea pig breeding. They are rodents, and most people outside of the community of owners don't give much thought to them.

In San Diego, a pet store was shut down recently after a week-long protest in front of it at one of our local malls. They tried to say they were only getting pets from wonderful places, and not puppy mills. A week later, the store was shut down. Good riddance!

PickyPiggy
09-26-11, 03:52 pm
I adopted both of my guinea pigs from craigslist. There are those guinea pigs in stores that you go " awww look at him!" and have that impulse to take him home, but thats how a lot of little kids get their guinea pigs. The little kid whines, the parents give in thinking" oh, It's just another mouse" and put him in a small cage. Then when the little kid has had their fill, and don't want the guinea pig anymore, up goes the add on craigslist.

bpatters
09-26-11, 03:59 pm
Well, Jayval, the issue is that pet stores really shouldn't be selling live animals. Doing so caters to the impulse buyer who sees a cute puppy/kitten/hamster/whatever, gives in to the heartrending pleas of the kids to take it home, and then finds out that 1) it requires more, or more expensive, care than they knew, or 2) the kids aren't old enough to take care of it as they promised, or 3) it's not a good fit for the family, or 4), 5), 6) .... however many reasons you can come up with.

I thoroughly agree with you that people should be protesting in front of pet stores, and that state laws should be passed to prohibit the sale of animals in those stores. But the pet stores lobby the state lawmakers, because everybody who buys a cute puppy/kitten/hamster/whatever also buys a bed, food, toys, accessories, etc., and that's where they make their money. They don't want laws passed that keep them from being able to sell the animals.

I think I'd rather the president stick to matters of national security and the economic health of the country (or current lack of it), but that still leaves plenty of elected officials who could address the issue. The public gets excited about it when something like the Dallas incident happens, but then it dies down, and there's rarely any progress made.

While I think there are enough unwanted animals of any species in this country that breeders are totally unneeded, I do make a distinction between breeders who care for their animals, get vet care for them, breed them only selectively, screen any potential purchasers or adopters, and attempt to improve the breed. They're not the same as the pet mill breeders, who house dozens or hundreds of animals in poor conditions, with little food or water or bedding, whose animals are repeatedly backbred (how would you like to have a child every nine months and get pregnant only hours after each one's birth?), and who provide no vet care whatsoever. They, and the irresponsible pet owners who fail to have their pets neutered, are responsible for the huge homeless and uncared-for pet population in this country.

But those responsible breeders are very thin on the ground. I don't personally know of a single one, although I do know of several show breeders around me. But they, and most other show breeders, sell their unneutered "culls" to pet owners and backyard breeders, where they just become part of the supply and demand cycle, winding up as sick and missexed pigs at Petco, PetSmart, etc. that are foisted off on uneducated pet owners who fall in love with a cute animal.

It's a complicated issue, and it feels like a losing battle trying to educate people about it. I keep hoping that some multi-billionaire animal lover with deep pockets will take it on as a cause -- maybe then we could get enough laws passed to at least make a dent in the problem.

LilPig
09-26-11, 04:14 pm
jayval,
So sorry that you felt attacked for a moment there, things can get pretty emotional when it comes to precious animals and you're dealing with some pretty intense animal lovers. No one is trying to tell you what to do, but more like what we wish you would do. However your love for twix is clearly legitimate and no one person can/should take that away from you.

I would recommend keeping an eye on him and your daughter once you get him home and definitely have a vet ready just in case. My husband is allergic to our Guinea Piggies but he still loves to hold them and talk to them (gotta wash hands when done, and no kisses! lol).

I bought my first 2 piggies from a local pet store (not a large chain) and had absolutely no problems. They have come and gone now though (Hamlet lived 7 years!). I do not have experience buying small animals from places like Petsmart or Petco, however when I had a fish tank I NEVER bought my fish from those places because the death rate was just awful - not to mention the spread of disease to my existing fishes.

I had the opportunity to adopt a 2 yr old female piggie from a shelter so I jumped at it and could not have been happier with my decision. I helped make room to house another piggie at the shelter that had come to them in dire need of a good home AND got to take the sweetest most affectionate piggie ever home!

You're doing all of the right things for Mr. Twix and I am sure that if/once his health is in order you will be an excellent momma for him.

Good luck and do not become discouraged. You sound like you will make the right choices for you and your family.

blackarrow
09-26-11, 04:25 pm
I am an intelligent person, who is totally not selfish, I devote 24/7 to our daughter, I am a stay at home mom, not a mom that would ever put my child into daycare., etc.. and would never introduce an animal into the house if she had an allergy..What Im saying to you all is, she has been with the animal twice, and no issues..So hoping she is not allergic..Not all people go to an an allegist before bringing animals into their homes to test all of their children..That woudl be ridiculous! Sorry if Im getting upset but I feel liek I being kind of attacked...And you cant go by Petfinder 100% some of those are puppy mills, etc, that are masked..And many rescues, are rescues from mills themselves...
1. No one attacked you or called you selfish.
2. I find your comment about how you are "not a mom that would ever put my child into daycare" both unnecessary and insulting to the many fine moms here who use daycares. (For the record, I also am a SAHM.)
3. I have never, ever, EVER heard of Petfinder being used as a "cover" for a puppy mill. If you would like to back that up with something factual, please do so. (Buying from Petco virtually guarantees your animal came from a mill operation, of course.)
4. Of course many rescues have taken in animals from mill operations. They wouldn't have to do so if the mill operations didn't exist. They exist because of the places such as Petco.

jayval
09-26-11, 04:33 pm
Lil Pig.Thanks so much! Really appreciate it :)
Thanks to everyone else also! Grea tto see all the guinea pig lovers out there..Im completely new to GP so its great to get all this info! Without my research I never woudl have known that I need a 7.5 sq ft cage!

LilPig
09-26-11, 05:08 pm
Unfortunately it is extremely easy to upset people via text postings. There's no body language to go along with it so as humans we're missing 90% of the criteria for interpretation and communication. I feel like everyone here is trying to do the right thing, however when it comes to anything moms, or animals fur tends to fly.

Jayval, just keep doing research. Gain as much knowledge as you can because that's what we're here for. Forums are supposed to be more inviting and less emotionally fueled - to make a relaxed learning environment for all!

Good Luck!

PickyPiggy
09-26-11, 05:09 pm
Somre petstore animals are ok. My local petsmart has a foundation for cats, that aren't bought from breeders, but are rescued from pounds and some of them are strays. I'm going there every Friday to clean out their cages and play with them. THey are really cute.

jayval
09-26-11, 05:34 pm
Ours does too Picky Piggy :)

OMIPIGGIE
09-26-11, 05:49 pm
hello, i got my guinea pig from petco... she is perfect:)

jayval
09-26-11, 05:50 pm
Good to know Omipiggie!

OMIPIGGIE
09-26-11, 05:55 pm
haha! just wanted to let you know :)

sdpiggylvr
09-26-11, 06:00 pm
Jayval, welcome to the forum! I am glad you're considering a guinea pig!

Please know that pet stores are stores -- businesses in existence only to make a profit off these animals who are nothing but merchandise to them. Maybe cute merchandise, but a way to make money nonetheless. Do you support puppy-mill style breeding? Do you believe in putting profit above welfare? Are you okay with allowing a guinea pig from a shelter to die? Whether you know it or not, you do all of the above when you buy a pet from a pet store. Every guinea pig you BUY is one that wasn't ADOPTED and will be euthanized, because no one adopted it and the shelter needs more room. Do you want to do that? Do you want to tell the pet store you support their neglectful and abusive practices of buying and supporting backyard and puppy mill breeders? I don't believe you do.

You may have fallen in love with this guinea pig, but if you buy it you'll be telling the pet store to fill its place and continue producing animals. Females are forced to produce litter after litter without ever knowing a human's love or a comfortable home. And don't think they are raising the guinea pigs in clean and spacious cages or with top-quality food, because they're not. Are you okay with this?

I'm not trying to attack you or offend you. The importance of your situation is that you have a real choice here as to what you want to support -- cruelty and neglect, or rehoming and responsibility? Remember, when you adopt you save two lives: the one you took home and the one who can occupy the place you opened up at the shelter.

sdpiggylvr
09-26-11, 06:02 pm
hello, i got my guinea pig from petco... she is perfect:)

She may be perfect to you, but did you consider adopting or that you could have saved a life in doing so? You're knowingly supporting the cycle of neglect that I don't think anyone would want to support.

I don't think there's anything to smile or laugh about. This is about real abuse and it's nothing funny.

CaptnCaptn
09-26-11, 06:17 pm
In all honesty, no matter where you go outside of TRUSTED shelters and SOME*SOME!* breeders, hopefully people looking this route personally know the breeder, you will always have a chance of adopting a sickly GP. I actually adopted a guinea pig from PETCO, yes i adopted-I did not buy her- i adopted. She was brought it that morning, actually i still saw the crate she was left in, and I was browsing through at a scorpion they just got in, i tend to go to my local PETCO if I happen to be in the area, along with if i am buy a local owned petstore (idk...impulse i suppose) and I saw her being put in and asked the story since she didn't come from the usual box/crate they have when they get new animals in. So i adopted her and she is doing great! Just got her C&C cage up and going tonight, took me 6 stores and 3-4 hours of local travel to find the cubes *(you'd think coroplast/corrugated plastic would be the harder thing to find)*
Either, have faith in your local PETCO...have good luck like i happened to have that morning, or adopt one from a local shelter or take in a unwanted GP.

Overall, good luck there bud and I hope everything works out for you in the end! We can't change what you do and I think you will make a good decision based on what you have provided explaining your research and whatnot that is. I wish you the best

Inle_Rabbit
09-26-11, 06:30 pm
What it all boils down to is voting with your dollars. It use to be that almost all pet stores had puppies and now they are few and far between. It's because people became aware of puppy mills and the horrible conditions that the animals were kept in. So people stopped buying from pet stores. When pet stores stopped making money on selling puppies they stopped stocking puppies. Simple as that. A lot of pet stores now have dog adoption days. The rabbit rescue has been on Petco for awhile and now some Petcos offer rabbit adoptions from local rescues. All of this good has to start somewhere and it starts with not buying the animals from pet stores no matter how cute they are. The problem is most people people don't think about guinea pigs, rabbits and the like as much as they do dogs and cats. Like their little lives just aren't worth as much. =(

Onetwo
09-26-11, 06:45 pm
It is a very easy decision to go to a store and pick up a piggy. It takes more time and effort to adopt a piggy. Its very important that any and EVERY person as possible adopts all the time and spreads the word to other. This will be the only way to change such an ingrained part of society. More and more people are adopting everyday. Thanks to the economy more privately owned pet stores are going under. I see less and less people back yard breeding. But the other thing that you need to remember and pass on is to NOT buy from stores that sell pets either. They make more profits out of the products than the actual animal sales. Many of us buy from people like Kleenmama's who give back to shelters and rescues and don't use their profits to breed more animals but rescue them. I know it seems daunting but its great pleasure knowing you saved the animals you could and didn't contribute to the problem. Do you recycle? Do you worry about all the other people that don't recycle? Do you turn off lights when you are not in the room to conserve energy? Do you get upset about people that don't? We only have a short time here on this earth and sometimes we can do huge great things and sometimes we cant. But to the animal you rescue none of that matters, they are just thrilled to be given a chance to live...

jayval
09-26-11, 06:48 pm
Great posts ...

CavySpirit
09-26-11, 06:57 pm
haha! just wanted to let you know :)

ha ha ha, and you robbed two pigs of life in the process. How does that make you feel? All warm and fuzzy inside? I didn't think so.

When you adopt, you save the life of the pig you are adopting and you free up a space for another pig to be rescued.

Why are we so adamant about adopting? Because pigs are put down every day for lack of a home. It's not funny. It's not a laughing matter. And it's high time for people throw away their rose-colored glasses about pet stores and the pet trade. When you can be the paid vet tech that puts a needle full poison into the belly of cute unwanted guinea pig, then I guess you can come here and tell us all about it.

There's more to the issue -- as many people are trying to point out -- than your luck at purchasing healthy stock from the store.

It just makes me angry because myself and many, many people here and all over spend their life savings dedicated to trying to change things and educate people about their out-dated and uninformed notions of the wonderful world of pets and the pet business. The pet trade industry spends BIG BUCKS getting you to think things are all wonderful -- hey, it's "where the pets go?" right? Or Petsmart's new God-awful tagline: "Happiness in Store." Oh yeah, we've got great exotic vets on board. Yeah, right.

Wake up and smell the death and profit.

When you are flip about the issues, it is insulting and makes people like me upset.

Do the right thing. Do NOT buy animals from pet stores. Adopt.

Nibles230
09-26-11, 06:59 pm
If you've found the one you love, get that one from the pet store, then get another one from the shelter so, you've got your cavy a friend, and also, you will be saving a piggie's life.

bpatters
09-26-11, 07:05 pm
Nibles230, that's completely illogical. Buying one from a pet store perpetuates animal cruelty, whether you adopt one from a shelter or a rescue or not. How does adopting one make buying one ok?

CavySpirit
09-26-11, 07:16 pm
@Nibles230 (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=19318) , that's completely illogical. Buying one from a pet store perpetuates animal cruelty, whether you adopt one from a shelter or a rescue or not. How does adopting one make buying one ok?

That's my same logic for eating a chocolate bar and diet coke. They cancel each other out. Yup. That works for me!!

Nibles230
09-26-11, 07:29 pm
Well what I meant was that, It seems like that piggy likes them and they like it, so what are you going to do? Break the piggy's heart and leave it? I wouldn't do it.

cupcake.ninja
09-26-11, 07:31 pm
I got Gunner from PetCo before i found this site and realized there are homeless piggies in shelters. I wouldn't go back and change my mind for anything. He's my baybay!
So perfect for me and hubby. You can't help who you love... why shouldn't that apply for piggies?

CavySpirit
09-26-11, 07:37 pm
Well what I meant was that, It seems like that piggy likes them and they like it, so what are you going to do? Break the piggy's heart and leave it? I wouldn't do it.

Pet stores LOVE YOU. You are their prime customer.

What are you going to do? You're going to grow up and understand the bigger picture. There are EQUALLY cute and adorable guinea pigs in shelters and rescues who will just as easily steal your heart. They are going to DIE because you decided it was more convenient to go to the pet store rather than the shelter.

Nibles230
09-26-11, 07:41 pm
Well I guess you have a point...
I am sorry guys about my previous statement, I have been thinking like an idiot lately...I am
sorry once again :ashamed:.

bpatters
09-26-11, 07:42 pm
cupcake.ninja, no one's suggesting that you go back and redo anything. And possibly in Hawaii there's not the huge population of homeless pigs that there is here.

But no one "loves" a pig that they've just seen in a pet store. They may think it's cute, it may look like one they've always wanted, but love it instantly? No way.

And here, if you purchase that pig, another sow will get pregnant immediately after giving birth, will be kept continually pregnant until she's no longer able to breed, and then will be killed. She will get no vet care, and will probably have inadequate food and bedding. Her babies will be kept in crowded pens, often with wire bottoms, and will be sold sick, infested with parasites, missexed, and the females often pregnant.

If your "love" for a pig you've only seen once is worth all that, when there are equally cute, equally needy pigs in rescues and shelters that will not add to the overbreeding problem, then I'm sorry for you.

cupcake.ninja
09-26-11, 07:44 pm
I have actually been looking to find Gunner a cagemate from a shelter... not a single male available. There are only females. It's really sad. :( Hawaii needs boys. Send me your boys, Texas! I'll love them!

CavySpirit
09-26-11, 07:47 pm
Well I guess you have a point...
I am sorry guys about my previous statement, I have been thinking like an idiot lately...I am
sorry once again :ashamed:.

Thank you for understanding. I really don't want to get testy about these issues as we are really trying to be more accepting here, but I also cannot allow this faulty logic to go unchallenged.

I know people are going to do what they want, but many other people read these threads and it's vitally important that the real issues are brought to light. Animal's lives depend on it.

I want to thank everyone for keeping to the point of the discussion and not getting personal in our discussion. I think this has been a very good thread about the issue.

pinky
09-26-11, 07:49 pm
I have 5 guinea pigs. Four are from rescues and the fifth came from a Craigslist ad that said a 12 year no longer had time for her guinea pig. I haven't bought a guinea pig since the 90's and I only bought those because I didn't realize you could get guinea pigs from rescues and shelters. Once I discovered rehomed guinea pigs, all of mine have been adopted. I'd never buy one from a breeder or pet store now. Babies and youngsters are often available for adoption at rescues and shelters but I prefer the adults and seniors.

jayval
09-26-11, 07:56 pm
Oh wow, this post I created has gotten a lot of attn...I guess i never realized that for Guinea pigs its the same as dogs..Next time I will Adopt, but I am really sorry we are jsut attached to this little guy, He has a name already and everything, and I just woudl feel really bad to back out and leave him there...Esp if he gets treated, and then goes back to living in the store..I just can;t do it now..But I totally understand what is being said...That being said, where do you by your pet products then? Any advice on that? Also, what is the best brand of food and Timothy Hay...And do you give your GP citrus daily? How often do you bring to the vet if ever?

Travelingirl916
09-26-11, 08:15 pm
Pellets- KMS Hayloft, a web-based company kmshayloft.com
Hay- Local horse feed store that does not sell animals
Veggies- Grocery store
Cozies and beds- Jenscustomcrafts.com
Toys, etc- The store in our Humane Society, where the profits go to the Humane Society
Fleece- Walgreens
Oxbow Vitamin C- Leithpetwerks.com (they also sell Oxbow pellets)
Towels- Thrift Stores

I don't ever go into pet stores that sell animals. There is no need to. Even if you couldn't configure it like I do by going to Humane Societies, there are still pet stores that do not sell animals. The large chain stores like Petco and Petsmart do, though. Just look in your phone book and call the pet stores that are not chains and ask if they sell animals. In my area there are 2 that do not. That is where we purchase my dog stuff at. You can definitely make it work without ever stepping in Petco/Petsmart.

Best pellet brand is KMS only available online at KMShayloft.com or Oxbow is second best
Timothy hay- Best is KMS, second best is Oxbow, but you may be able to find good hay at a feed store if you live near one.
Veggies- Don't give citrus daily, it will cause mouth sores. Instead, give red and green leaf lettuce, parsley, cilantro, endive, escarole, spring mix, romaine lettuce, bell pepper, carrot, celery, cucumber, and zucchini. Fruits should only be fed every 2 weeks at most.

My guinea pigs go the the vet at least once a year. Usually more than that though because of health problems that come up.

jayval
09-26-11, 08:25 pm
Traveling Girl..Really helpful! Thank you!!

pinky
09-26-11, 08:27 pm
If he's already sick, chances are he will still be sick when you pick him up. Be prepared to have to follow up with additional vet care once you adopt him. The fact that he's sick also says a lot about the conditions he's living in and was bred in. Who knows what he's been fed and the long term problems he's going to have. It's also a perfect example why not to buy a pet store guinea pig. And as far as being attached to this particular one, there are more than 900 listed on Petfinder that you could get attached to just as easily.

Oh wow, this post I created has gotten a lot of attn...I guess i never realized that for Guinea pigs its the same as dogs..Next time I will Adopt, but I am really sorry we are jsut attached to this little guy, He has a name already and everything, and I just woudl feel really bad to back out and leave him there...Esp if he gets treated, and then goes back to living in the store..I just can;t do it now..But I totally understand what is being said...That being said, where do you by your pet products then? Any advice on that? Also, what is the best brand of food and Timothy Hay...And do you give your GP citrus daily? How often do you bring to the vet if ever?

jayval
09-26-11, 08:34 pm
Pinky, Not sure how sick he is ...he looked fien to me, but the woman working there noticed a very very tiny bit of dried mucus at his nose..I could barely see it..Otherwise he seemed healthy and fine...He only got there 4 days or so ago....They told me they will not sell him to me unless he is cleared and in comlete good health..They are calling me to tell me what the vet says, and what meds if any he is going on..

jayval
09-26-11, 08:35 pm
How about cleaning products to clean cage? Also do you bathe your pig? how often? Any other tips, for when (if) he comes home?

Travelingirl916
09-26-11, 09:30 pm
Cage cleaner- .5/.5 solution of water and white vinegar
Bathing- only bathe once a year and use Gorgeous Guineas shampoo (gorgeousguineas.com)
Make sure he has a friend, has a C&C cage, and I would highly recommend fleece/towel bedding. Have a guinea pig vet lined up, and feed veggies every day.

jayval
09-26-11, 09:38 pm
Thanks traveling! My C&C cage has already shipped!

cupcake.ninja
09-26-11, 10:49 pm
I'm excited Jayval! Take pictures when you get it! I love when people set up their cages and decorate. I'm making mine a ninja school theme.
Black fleece, signs for the rooms (up high so they can't eat them), and his leash and harness are black with little ninja stars on them. Still can't get Gunner to hold still for the harness. Maybe in a few months i'll be able to walk him.

lissie
09-27-11, 12:50 am
Thanks traveling! My C&C cage has already shipped!

That's very exciting. Glad you bought a C&C cage. Don't forget to babyproof until your piggy is 6 months old.

and his leash and harness are black with little ninja stars on them. Still can't get Gunner to hold still for the harness. Maybe in a few months i'll be able to walk him.

I hope you're not using leash and harness on him. It could break his spine.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/accessories/42852-do-not-ever-use-these-guinea-pigs.html

cupcake.ninja
09-27-11, 12:53 am
harness is a bad word... it's like a little fleecey-like sweater with a leash hook. It's from a lady who makes them over here. They're spine safe and he probably won't hold still for it anyhoo.

lissie
09-27-11, 01:01 am
harness is a bad word... it's like a little fleecey-like sweater with a leash hook. It's from a lady who makes them over here. They're spine safe and he probably won't hold still for it anyhoo.

If he's not holding still when you pull on him, that's when you can hurt his back. Please don't use any kind of leashes.

cupcake.ninja
09-27-11, 01:05 am
I probably won't... It was a gift. He's quite content running around the kitchen on his own.
I heard that they aren't too good for them. I don't want an unhappy piggie.
He's lazy and fat and walking really isn't his thing.
The little chubber is parked in front of a spongebob rerun eating a carrot right now... i don't think walking is in his near or distant future.

faye_arv
09-27-11, 01:24 am
I'm excited Jayval! Take pictures when you get it! I love when people set up their cages and decorate. I'm making mine a ninja school theme.
Black fleece, signs for the rooms (up high so they can't eat them), and his leash and harness are black with little ninja stars on them. Still can't get Gunner to hold still for the harness. Maybe in a few months i'll be able to walk him.

A harness and leash are dangerous for your cavy, they have sensitive bones and you could easily break his spine...throw the leash and harness out if you love your cavy.

CarpeCavia
09-27-11, 05:55 am
Hi! Good luck with your new family member, Twix! Growing up we had several pet-store-bought guinea pig pets. One (Rosie) didn't live very long and died of URI - we didn't catch it in time. Two of them (Sparky and Chewie) lived a very long time. Miss Piggy came with a fur infestation of mites. And Houdini was healthy, fathering 2 beautiful pups with Sparky.
BUT... as an adult I refuse to purchase a guinea pig from a pet store. I've found it very easy to find and adopt them. The Beast and his friend Boo were fully adults when adopted. And the Beast was totally my pal! Snuggly and mellow he would sit and read with me for hours. Al was a pup when I adopted him- very hyper at first but he mellowed nicely. Mr. Bean was already 5 years old when I picked him up from a rescue but he lived to be a little old man- almost 8 years old! See my introduction thread re: current cavies.
So, in conclusion, I've experienced that you can have good experiences with pet-store guinea pigs, but adopted pets are equally lovable and don't help to support irresponsible breeders or cheapening of life (buying and selling live animals as a commodity).
I've had mixed results with vets... some will see GPs even if they are not knowledgeable. My guys currently see a vet who studied in England where multi-pig and rabbit households are common. I feel lucky to have found someone with so much experience! I recommend that you see guinealynx for a vet seach, or find other cavy owners in your area and ask who they see.
I hope this all works out for you! I've had guinea pigs all my life and in my opinion they are the perfect pet!

jayval
09-27-11, 06:09 am
The 2 vets by me says they also do exotic animals on their site, but they also see dogs and cats, is that no good?? Tehy are well know animal hospitals in my area...Also, what is meant by baby proofing, Im only get Twix right now, and unsure how Old he is, he jsut got to eh pet store and is small..Maybe I can weigh him to get an idea? I have to buy a food scale correct? Says to weight them every week...How will I know he has mites? He will be itchy? Hair loss? Im hoping the vet checks for this while treting him today...Its ll in Petcos hands..Almost wish I could be there and pay for it on my own so I know he gets proper care..Maybe I can send him back to vet in a month to make sure he is OK..I will let oyu know hat they say today or tomorrow..petco will be calling me

pinky
09-27-11, 06:26 am
I'm ashamed to say that when my kids were little (they're adults now), one of the first guinea pigs we had was bought from Petsmart. It looked different that the others and had longer legs. We bought it and brought it home. We also felt "attached" to this little one. We noticed it had a runny nose and called back. They said to bring it back and they would treat it at the vet they had at the store. It died three days after we brought it back home. I knew little about guinea pigs back then, but I could tell there was something wrong with it that made it look different. It seemed to have some sort of deformity; probably from being inbred. After that, I knew I would never buy any pet store pets. It was not only traumatic for my kids, it was very disturbing to me. A pet store will not tell you if there's any issues with their pets. Guinea pigs are commodities to them. When you consider the junk they sell to feed them and that most pet stores still carry cedar bedding, it affirms that it's a business and nothing more.

Pinky, Not sure how sick he is ...he looked fien to me, but the woman working there noticed a very very tiny bit of dried mucus at his nose..I could barely see it..Otherwise he seemed healthy and fine...He only got there 4 days or so ago....They told me they will not sell him to me unless he is cleared and in comlete good health..They are calling me to tell me what the vet says, and what meds if any he is going on..

jayval
09-27-11, 08:22 am
Pinky, I DO hear what you are saying..But at the same time, now I feel like Im in charge of this little guy...I just hate to leave him abandoned now..Now that I already commited to him..But I hear what you are saying, I almost feel like saying forget it, going out today, adopting a healthy one Today, and being able to bring it home Today..But I just have something in me that I cant do it..we already held and visted this little guy a few times, and I just feel attached to his well being now....

pinky
09-27-11, 08:48 am
Can I just suggest something? Go to your local rescue and handle a few. Don't decide against buying this one. If you see what's out there, I really think you might change your mind. I'm not trying to push you in a direction you're not comfortable with but I think what I and others are trying to say is that we've been at the place where you are right now and followed the same logic you have. I know I REALLY regretted it and I have no doubt others have, too. By buying one, you continue a vicious cycle of more being bred and getting sick. A reputable rescue has their guinea pigs checked by a reputable vet that specializes in exotics. If they're ill or have special needs, they don't even adopt them out. They make sure they are healthy before placing them in a good home. They keep sick ones and care for them and house the ones with other conditions in a home that specializes in the special needs one so they are cared for. I would say just don't rush into it. And you're not in charge of this one. He feels no connection to you personally. It's a slow process for them to bond with their keeper. It's really easy to feel compelled to care for an animal that's sick but, by taking this one, you're making room for another one to take its place and probably be sick, too. And what about them? Do you feel sorry for them, too? If people would just stop buying them, there'd be a lot less guinea pigs suffering. I know your heart is in the right place. You want to love and care for a guinea pig. But your actions have an impact on others after this one. I'm just asking you to think about the whole picture.

jayval
09-27-11, 09:05 am
I wish their was a rescue closer, everything I have seen online the closest is about 40 minutes....Im in Central NJ....Its hard to do that cause my 3 yr old has a ot of activites, and school, and I jsut can't run over there unless I went on the weekend....I did see one listed in Woodbridge though

CavySpirit
09-27-11, 09:18 am
You should contact the rescue anyway. Sometimes they will meet you and sometimes they have fosterers that might live closer to you. But honestly, 40 minutes is not a big deal. A weekend will work.

lemonham
09-27-11, 09:56 am
You should contact the rescue anyway. Sometimes they will meet you and sometimes they have fosterers that might live closer to you. But honestly, 40 minutes is not a big deal. A weekend will work.

I understand that 40 minutes in a car with a little child is hard but think of all of the little gps that need homes!
I drove 1 hour to get my current gp and next weekend am picking another girl gp from a rescue 2 hours from my house. Its worth is to give a little one a loving home!

jayval
09-27-11, 10:05 am
I love how your all so dedicated!! I am so excited to get my pig!! Let me first see what happens with Twix and what they say....I think my cage is coming today! I already have all the supplies, and food, etc...I hear ya 40 minutes isnt really far...Any advice about to handle my pig the first day home? Do I let it bem and get used to its surroundings? When can I start fresh veggies? Someone said something about baby proofing?, not sure how old Twix is, onyl got to the store last week...I am ony getting oen pig for now..

SurfingPigs
09-27-11, 11:04 am
Scary to see how some of you aren't seeing the difference between purchasing and rescuing.

All I can really say, since logic escapes many, is that I implore each and every one of you to go volunteer at your local guinea pig rescue. I understood the argument without doing this, but volunteering has really driven the point home. I have 5 foster guinea pigs in my house just barely recovering from mite infestations, malnourishment, and scurvy. These were pets that someone "fell in love with" (to quote someone from this thread), and then left to waste in their backyard a few months later. Not only were their mothers bred indescriminately to no end, but they ended up pregnant themselves. If the moronic previous owner would like to come over and help foot the bill for veggies, pellets, and bedding, I will PM them my address.

But yea, go ahead and buy from Petco. It really is doing a lot of good for the world and the dying guinea pigs that have been bred beyond recovery.

And I just can't let this go: "Fell in love with"!? The only person who "falls in love with" an animal they see in a petstore window is a child, or someone with similar dispositions. Think with your head, not your heart. Animals need to be cared for by adults, so this is an adult decision. [/rant]

pinky
09-27-11, 11:17 am
The first thing I would do is take him to an exotic vet to rule out an upper respiratory infection, mites or lice. Chances are, you'll probably be bringing him home with at least one of those.

I love how your all so dedicated!! I am so excited to get my pig!! Let me first see what happens with Twix and what they say....I think my cage is coming today! I already have all the supplies, and food, etc...I hear ya 40 minutes isnt really far...Any advice about to handle my pig the first day home? Do I let it bem and get used to its surroundings? When can I start fresh veggies? Someone said something about baby proofing?, not sure how old Twix is, onyl got to the store last week...I am ony getting oen pig for now..

jayval
09-27-11, 11:43 am
Pinky, We believe he does have URI, not sure..Thats why the pet store didnt want me to take him home...The vet is seeing him today and they will be calling me to let me know what his issues are if any..He looks in great health....No hair loss, I looked thru the fur, normal weight, etc..eyes were fine..We jsut noticed a dab, like a needlepoint size, dried mucus at his nose...Barely noticeable...Surfing pig, I do hear you, and IM very sorry, it may be the wrond decision, but I will really be sick to my stomach if I do not see the health of this guinea pig forward....I just can't do it...I know for next time, but Am not leaving Twix ...Case closed unless he is beyond repair..

SurfingPigs
09-27-11, 11:48 am
@jayval (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=19543) : My post wasn't directed at anyone in particular... there are plenty of people who have had the issue fly well above their heads and I was aiming it towards those who think it is fun to laugh about the situation out of their own sheer ignorance.

And nothing to apologize for, myself or another volunteer will take good care of the malnourished sow when the breeder eventually dumps her at the local shelter, as so many do these days. Now that one of her babies has been purchased, its time for her to get pregnant again to fill Petco's open space and bulging pockets! If anyone doesn't like my tone, don't shoot the messenger, I'm just telling it how it is.

Inle_Rabbit
09-27-11, 01:12 pm
If the breeder drops them off at a shelter. In the rabbit world used up rabbits are called Hammer Heads. I'll leave it to use to figure out why. =(

pinky
09-27-11, 01:32 pm
All the more reason not to support breeders.

If the breeder drops them off at a shelter. In the rabbit world used up rabbits are called Hammer Heads. I'll leave it to use to figure out why. =(

jayval
09-27-11, 01:36 pm
Arent there some reputable breeders for GP? I oyu know of any in NJ, let me know..I tried to look up the club, but no links worked....

bpatters
09-27-11, 01:56 pm
jayval, which club?

As to reputable breeders, it depends on what you mean by that. But as I said in an earlier post last night, you'll search far and wide to find one that doesn't sell culls for breeding purposes. To me, that fact alone makes them disreputable.

Inle_Rabbit
09-27-11, 01:57 pm
I would try craig's list before a breeder if you don't want to drive the 40 minutes to the rescue. You said central New Jersey?

Here is the search results for "Guinea Pig (http://cnj.craigslist.org/search/pet?query=guinea+pig&srchType=A)"

Here is the search results for "Guinea Pigs (http://cnj.craigslist.org/search/pet?query=guinea+pigs&srchType=A)"

Also check the "for sale (http://cnj.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=guinea+pigs&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=)" sections.

You might have to wait a week or two but you will find a guinea pig. They give them away like candy on Halloween on Craig's List.

Duffinvt
09-27-11, 02:10 pm
I live in a tiny state (Vermont). Used to be you'd have to look hard to find a guinea pig. Then came the Petco and Petsmart stores. Here is a Vermont rescue: Turtle Hill Farm Animal Sanctuary (http://www.turtlehillfarm.net/)
It is full to capacity. If you read the stories of the individuals, you will see pigs surrendered when child got bored, pigs found in a foreclosed house, starving, and realtor brought to the rescue, pigs apparently surrendered when family wanted some other kind of pet. You get it. Add all the Craigslist and Humane Society guinea pigs and you could have ten within 30 minutes of your home any place in Vermont. So I assume you'd find a lot in NJ if you were to search.

I understand you've gotten attached to an individual animal in the store. But we are trying to encourage people to go to a rescue first. If you look at those 25 animals at Turtle Hill Farm, don't you think you could have found one that was special to you? And it would be one that found a home. Period. No breeding to fill his or her spot and replace him so someone could make a few bucks. Just a pig that found a home.

jayval
09-27-11, 02:10 pm
Ok..I normally dont use craigslist...So these are basically jsut regular peopel that want to get rid of their animals, or are there rescue groups on their too

Inle_Rabbit
09-27-11, 02:17 pm
Basically people who want to get rid of their animals. They have become bored or allergic to the guineas in most cases. Sometimes the kid goes off to college and realizes they don't have the time anymore or the people are moving or whatever reason. I got Ben from a Craig's List ad. In Austin, my city, it's a 40+ minute drive just to get from North to South of the city, so Ben's previous owners met me about half way between. I picked Ben up, cage and all, for free. Eddy Pig then had a friend and I didn't pay a dime for him, just a little gas and time. Craig's List or other want ads like the local paper are the step before the animals end up in the shelter or rescue. You could also post a want ad for a guinea pig and people looking to rehome their animals will contact you. That's how I found Ben.

bpatters
09-27-11, 02:19 pm
You can try Have A Heart Rescue at www.petfinder.com/shelters/haveaheart.html (http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/haveaheart.html). There are two related rescues in the same general area, and they also have fosters in NJ and PA, I believe.

And for those of you who think Petco and PetSmart are concerned about the animals they sell, please take a look at the pictures of how they're housed before they get to the stores: Behind the Scenes in the Pet Trade: A PETA Undercover Investigation | Investigation Details | PETA.org (http://features.peta.org/pettrade/learn-more.asp).

pinky
09-27-11, 02:43 pm
Google "Petfinder" and click on "small and furry." There are approximately 900 guinea pigs listed on there; most of them at rescues. You can find pure breeds by clicking on Peruvians, Abyssinians, Teddies, Silkies, rex, short hairs. There is every imaginable type of guinea pig on there and probably many near you. You can contact the rescues in New Jersey and ask them if there are foster homes in your area where you can visit. They are usually very willing to work with you to help find a home for a guinea pig.

Ok..I normally dont use craigslist...So these are basically jt regular peopel that want to get rid of their animals, or are there rescue groups on their too

jayval
09-27-11, 02:43 pm
Horrible..I promise I will never buy another animal from there again, except Twix..Lesson Learned..Now, when you all buy from craigs list, do you bring it to the vet when you get home...??I guess if you get it from a rescue, you dont have too?

jayval
09-27-11, 02:45 pm
Pinky, I saw them all on petfinder last night...There are alot, and I think the Monmout County rescue always has them...

pinky
09-27-11, 02:54 pm
The last guinea pig I adopted is off of Craiglist. She's a beautiful little teddy. She came from a home with a 12 year old girl who didn't have time for her anymore since she started playing on a traveling soccer team. She was a little shy at first but I was even able to teach her a trick. I tell her "do your trick" and she walks around in circles for me. She understands that she'll get a snack when she does that so now she walks in circles whenever she wants something to eat. She's no one's throw away pet. She's incredibly cute and smart. I took her in for a well check when I got her and she was perfectly healthy because the owner took really good care of her. You can ask about their background, etc. and probably will even know their birthdate. Just take your time and don't rush into it. Handle a LOT of them and see how different each one it. They are all unique with different personalities, etc. Looking for the right one is worth the time and effort.

RubyRain
09-27-11, 03:07 pm
Horrible..I promise I will never buy another animal from there again, except Twix..Lesson Learned..Now, when you all buy from craigs list, do you bring it to the vet when you get home...??I guess if you get it from a rescue, you dont have too?

I bought my girls from craigslist. I had done lots of research here first so I knew what to look for re: watery eyes, runny nose, itching, etc. They were healthy so I did not take them to the vet, though others will encourage you to do so. The person I got them from had them for a year and just didn't want to care for them anymore-which is very common.

You still have to pay attention to their environment though-is their cage clean, how well are they fed, are their other animals they could have caught mites or anything from?

I've had my girls almost a year with no problems or vet trips. I do have an exotic pet vet if needed though-she treated my rabbit so I know she's qualified after talking with her and finding out the person who trained her is "THE" guinea pet vet for another area. So it's good to find one ahead of time just in case they are needed.

Just because they say they treat small animals doesn't mean anything though. I would ask how often they see GPs, what training do they have specifically with GPs, what should they be fed (this is VERY telling!), and would you be able to get in with an emergency-because if a GP is sick-it's always an emergency. Seriously, they can pass very quickly-like hours. :(

If I was to get more I'd use craigslist or petfinder. The closest rescue is about 5-6hrs but I'd use one for sure if they were within an hour or so drive.
Good luck

bpatters
09-27-11, 03:16 pm
There's some very interesting information at PetSmart Cruelty (http://www.petsmartcruelty.com).

jayval
09-27-11, 03:28 pm
Excellent advice!

cupcake.ninja
09-27-11, 03:32 pm
Oh that's terrible. I'm really glad i got my puppy from Cracker Barrel now.
You guys just made my breakfast sad.

jayval
09-27-11, 03:53 pm
I did put in an inquiry to the monmouth County ASPCA cause they said they always have a lot..
Wit a distance, how do you transport the new pig home?

cupcake.ninja
09-27-11, 03:59 pm
how do you transport the new pig home?

add-on to this question, would those tiny transport cases be alright for airline travel?? or even distance driving?

pinky
09-27-11, 04:01 pm
You can use a pet carrier or a box. I put newspapers or fleece on the bottom and add soft hay for them to hide in. You can bring a little cilantro or other veggie to put in there for the ride home. If you adopt from a rescue, they will probably have boxes for you to take him or her home in. Just ask. They will also clip his nails and probably give you a lot of info about their care. Rescue adoptions are also great because you have someone knowledgeable about guinea pigs to contact when you have questions or concerns. Pet stores have no clue about the proper care of guinea pigs. I learned so much after adopting my first one from my rescue. The other thing you can find out is whether your exotic vet offers an incentive to adopt from a rescue or shelter. My vet offers a free well check up if you provide documentation that you adopted him or her from a non profit rescue or shelter.

I did put in an inquiry to the monmouth County ASPCA cause they said they always have a lot..
Wit a distance, how do you transport the new pig home?

bpatters
09-27-11, 04:07 pm
add-on to this question, would those tiny transport cases be alright for airline travel?? or even distance driving?

cupcake.ninja, airline travel for guinea pigs is a nightmare of confusing regulations and restrictions. If you want to do it, you'll just have to call the particular airline(s) you're interested in and see what they say. The best person to talk to at an airline is the pet coordinator, although that may not be what they're called.

Some will allow some animals in the cabin but not others. Generally not guinea pigs, as they're rodents, and you know how those rodents are! Some allow them to go as baggage, but with specifications for their cages, others put them in cargo.

And if you're flying internationally, multiply all that by a factor of 10, because you're dealing with export and import regulations, and you'll have an idea of how confusing and difficult it could be.

In short, my recommendation would be to NOT buy a cage until you know where you're going, and how, and what they say they'll accept the pet in.

cupcake.ninja
09-27-11, 04:13 pm
Oh, i know all about the airlines. It's going to be a nightmare when my husband PCS's. If i have to, i'll use SpaceA (free travel for military) and i've got enough pull with them to hopefully allow Gunner in the cabin. I'll pay to take a cruise ship to Cali and drive home if i have to. I'm not putting him in the baggage. I refuse.
They let some lady keep her stupid, mewling cat in the seat next to me and i'm allergic to that nonsense. Gunner isn't a rodent. He's family.

jayval
09-27-11, 04:22 pm
Ok, great advice!

bpatters
09-27-11, 04:37 pm
@cupcake.ninja (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/members/cupcake-ninja.html), I forgot to say that I put mine in a cat carrier for short trips, like to the vet, and in a larger dog carrier for longer trips. We'll be taking them with us at Thanksgiving, which is about an 8 hour drive, and for that, they're going in the much larger dog cage. But that's because it will also be their cage while we're visiting, and nothing else has enough room.

When you're driving with them, you have to stop every couple of hours and offer them water, because most water bottles drip horribly if fastened to the cage while the car is moving. You can put lots of hay on the bottom of the carrier, and pitch in some moistened veggies every so often, but mine don't eat much when they're traveling.

cupcake.ninja
09-27-11, 04:40 pm
Well, i live on an island that's 30 miles across... I don't drive anywhere with him. The biggest challenge is the 24 hour day of flights from here to the East coast of the US with connecting flights because that's the only way to get there.
I've been reading the airline rules and they're a load of crap. Dogs are ok, but not GPs... What kind of junk is that?! He's smaller than EVERY other animal and quiet!

SurfingPigs
09-27-11, 05:02 pm
Continental airlines offers flights that only have pets in a climate controlled cabin with animal specialsts (not sure of their qualifications, haven't needed the service myself) and no people on the plane. These are extremely safe for your pigs, as they are not placed in a cargo hold and they have someone with the animals monitoring them at all times.
Here is more info from someone who has done this over on GL:http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=63065

And the direct link to Continental:
Continental Airlines - Traveling with Animals (http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/animals/default.aspx)

Inle_Rabbit
09-27-11, 06:14 pm
Depending on how long you will be gone it might just be easier and less stressful on the guinea pig to find a pet sitter or a vet that offers kenneling for guinea pigs.

I know we considered for awhile moving the Hawaii (Kauai) for a job and my rabbits would not have been allowed on the island, vet checked, spayed, it didn't matter. No rabbits. The dogs had to be under vet care with constant check ups almost 6 months prior to going. There were quite a few regulations about bringing animals to the island. I'd look into that as well before you decide to fly the guinea pig to the East Coast.

cupcake.ninja
09-27-11, 06:19 pm
I know they're allowed to leave Hawaii. If we leave, it's for good.
I know getting in is the worst. My friend had to leave her dogs in Cali for 120 days before they were allowed to be flown over plus tons of money on shots, vets, papers... it's just not good.

But leaving, we're fine. I've already checked it out.
I was super sad because i really wanted a corn snake and all snakes are banned, as are hamsters and gerbils. Can't find them anywhere. I think we're lucky enough to have guinea pigs. There aren't a lot in our one shelter and almost none on CL so I guess that means our over-population isn't too bad. That's a good point about being strict about animals.

Inle_Rabbit
09-27-11, 06:24 pm
OK I see! I thought maybe you were just going on vacation. Maybe there is some sort of animal shipping you could do? Ship him to someone on the East Coast and either pick him up there or have someone else do it? That's a long ways to go for a small little guinea pig.

sdpiggylvr
09-27-11, 06:26 pm
@jayval (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=19543), when do you plan to pick up the pet store pig? Are you going to even look at the pigs at a shelter or rescue? From where are you planning to get a friend for this pig?

I don't know why you say you've fallen in love with the first guinea pig you've seen, or that its heart will break if you don't take it home -- it doesn't know you hardly at all, and giving it a name means nothing to it.

It just frustrates me that you are going to buy from the pet store simply because you think you love it.

Why won't you adopt your guinea pigs?

cupcake.ninja
09-27-11, 06:28 pm
There is a pet airline, but from what i read, they only do doggies and cats.
I'll think of something, but i'm not stuffing him in the cargo hold. That's so evil. I couldn't even get an xbox remote across the ocean without the airline baggers smashing it to pieces. They'd destroy a tiny pet.

sdpiggylvr
09-27-11, 06:31 pm
Here's a post on Guinea Pig Today that discusses safe travel: The Road to Guinea Pig Safety - Guinea Pig Today (http://www.guineapigtoday.com/2011/09/25/the-road-to-guinea-pig-safety/).

jayval
09-27-11, 06:33 pm
sd: Im unsure whats going on at the moment...Im waiting to here from Petco tomorrow, as I think the vet saw him today...I want to see what they say..At this point I would rather have bought him, and paid for his own treatment, but I guess they wont allow that since they already saw he needed a vet...I just wanted to start with one pig or now...I know what you are saying, but yes, I feel attached, this has been going on for days, and we l really wanted this one..Your right, going into a pet store is a tease for everyone..Its liek going and seeing a puppy, then thinking that puppy has to be yours...I just feel I cant leave this piggy there now..I may go see the rescues, but it is a drive, and I wouldnt be able to go till the weekend..

Inle_Rabbit
09-27-11, 06:33 pm
this place does guinea pigs and Hawaii, worth some more research into it.

Happy Tails Travel | Pet Travel | Pet Relocation (http://www.happytailstravel.com/index.php)

cupcake.ninja
09-27-11, 06:36 pm
That's so awesome! This site never came up. Thank you!

jayval
09-28-11, 10:51 am
Update: Twix is being treat for just a week, I believe, mild URI, and they will check for mites...The woman who I met the other day has been wonderful, and she is taking close watch of him..She said they will get back to me later with the exact medical details, and the vet is coming back when treatment is over to make sure he is OK..I think the med was Baytril, she said, she will get back to me with the exact name...

SurfingPigs
09-28-11, 11:03 am
Checking for mites is painful and often misses mites if they are there. Since you "love" this pig and are going to get him, you may as well whisk him away before PetKill puts him through any more torture and do a cheap and simple mite treatment yourself.

jayval
09-28-11, 11:20 am
Well, it wasnt them, I asked if they could check for mites, cause you all told me too!!!!!!!!!!!
Also, what are the ages of the posters on this forum..
Am I dealing with teenagers here, unsure..And that is an honest question...

Inle_Rabbit
09-28-11, 11:44 am
I hope your guinea pig recovers well. It's been my experience with guinea pigs in the past that if the URI is caught early the guinea pigs often recover. Any guinea pig that I have had that passed away before their time was taken by an URI.

Oh yeah, to answer the other question. (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/cafe/8661-who-we.html)

bpatters
09-28-11, 12:14 pm
jayval, none of the posters who have been answering your questions on this thread have been teenagers. At least two have run guinea pig rescues for a number of years. Many of the others are long-time cavy owners who have taken the time and made the effort educate themselves about guinea pigs.

Why did you ask?

jayval
09-28-11, 12:16 pm
I am asking because I cant believe how rude some many people have been...I understand some are still upset that I will most likely get Twix, but now its time ot get over, and offer more great advice, so Twix has a better life then he woudl have had..

bpatters
09-28-11, 12:26 pm
I think this thread has been remarkably restrained and polite -- if you'd started something like this thread a couple of years ago, you'd have been flamed out of the country. Teresa is making a giant effort to make this a more friendly, welcoming forum, but it is still anti-breeding, pro-rescue, and makes no apologies for it.

And just so you know, if the thread does get "rude," one of the mods will take care of it.

But I do have to ask, why should forum respondents "offer more great advice" when you've so steadfastly refused to take what's been offered so far? Why would you take it then, when you won't take it about rescuing versus purchasing? What's different?

pinky
09-28-11, 12:28 pm
If they're treating him with Baytril, he should also be on a probiotic so he doesn't develop bloat.

Update: Twix is being treat for just a week, I believe, mild URI, and they will check for mites...The woman who I met the other day has been wonderful, and she is taking close watch of him..She said they will get back to me later with the exact medical details, and the vet is coming back when treatment is over to make sure he is OK..I think the med was Baytril, she said, she will get back to me with the exact name...

SurfingPigs
09-28-11, 12:28 pm
It is a public forum... I at times run across advice that I completely disagree with on here, but most times the advice is accurate. Unfortunately, it isn't always easy to discern who is providing sound advice and who is just trying to help and doesn't realize their advice is off base.

I don't recall reading any response that said to have Twix checked for mites, otherwise I would have commented to the original advice. Anyone with experience with guinea pigs will tell you it is much better to just treat for mites; as long as you treat properly (which is very simple), it is completely safe, prudent, and cheap. Mite scrapings are inaccurate, painful, and thus useless in my book.

For me: I have no personal ill feelings towards you purchasing your pig. I'm definitely not upset... that would be a rather outlandish response, and my emotions are very much in check. However, I am emphatic in my support of rescues, and will never sway from that. If I came off as rude, I do apologize that is came across as such, but nothing I have said was untruthful. Unfortunately, when you start rescuing pigs on the edge of existence, the dark reality of the breeding situation is highlighted.

I, along with everyone esle I'm sure, wish you and Twix the best. Even if you bought him from the world's worst breeder, we are all here for the betterment of our pigs lives and the lives of pigs everywhere.

jayval
09-28-11, 12:34 pm
Bp< I have taken all the advice this forum has offered, Except the adoption....Now, if I read this before I got involved with Twix, I definitely would choose to adopt, now that Im more informed...And by the way, all of my life, I do anything and obsess all the time about making right decisions, but Im sorry, even if this one is the wrong decsion, for me it is not at this moment..I am telling you, honestly, that I know my personality, and I will not feel comfortable leaving Twix there...That is it.end of story, leave it at that.....Now, if I decide to get a second one, yes, I definitely will be adopting, no issues, whatsoever...But, honestly, you have all helped me in getting a big cage, food, diseases, everything I need to give this pig an AMAZING home..So feel, proud, you did your job there ok....BUt to call Petco, Petkill, is ridiculous...see a few posts before, then yelling at them for checking for mites, you are all the ones who told me to ask them to check for mites!! And also, the workers at Petco may not know where hte animals come from, Maybe they are naive, but I will tell you they do take care of there animals esp at my Petco, and even on there site it promotes adoption...The people there have been nothing mut helpful to me..Someone of them may not want to be there, but they have to put food on there table for their family..Even the manager told me they recommend larger cages thn what they sell! So give the people that work at Petco a little break, maybe contact the CEO as he or she enjoys themselves in there 10 million dollar home..

jayval
09-28-11, 12:37 pm
Thanks Surfings, Truce then? :)
I really hope I still ahve all your support, even if you don't support my decision..
I was looking on you tube about treating mites, and was unsure if it is my job to buy something that medicine and applying it myself...Id feel better with a vet doing it...But unsure if he has them, I didnt notice any scratching, and fur looked all good ...BUt who knows..

jayval
09-28-11, 12:38 pm
BP: And I have to say your GP's are so adorable!! Is the oen an albysinnian (spelling?)
Thats what Twix is I think...He has a black face, with caramel above his eyes, with some white, then is caramel again on the body, then black and white again :)

jayval
09-28-11, 12:40 pm
And also with all Respect, I do admire all your strong determination to adopt, and the care you give to the pigs....As many people consider them just rodents, but I don't see them that way either...

SurfingPigs
09-28-11, 12:41 pm
Petco employees generally know where the pets come from. I have seen more than one employee come through the forums and saying what awful conditions the pigs are in but that management won't do a thing about it.

I reserve the right to refer to Petco as Petkill. Every pet purchased from them is one less open home for a pet at a high-kill animal shelter that will die. Thus, Petco = Petkill to me. The petco by my house only feeds their pigs oranges and keep them in an enclosed glass case with flies inside. These situations kill pigs.

Yelling at you? No, this is an internet message board, and my keyboard didn't come with a "yell" key, so I didn't do that. I did, however, offer you a way to help your future guinea pig avoid going through pain. I do sincerely apologize and will refrain from "yelling" sound advice at you in the future if that is what you would prefer.

Edit: Truce? Sure.... but I don't see a "truce" being needed. I don't have the slightest ill feeling towards you. I support your autonomy and thus your right to do as you will. I post my advice, and everyone with internet access can take it or ignore it. Unless you ask me to stop, I will keep on trying to help.

The mite treatment is really easy, and its much cheaper to just apply topically at home than to have a vet do it with an injection. Use topical ivermectin.

http://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_topical.html

bpatters
09-28-11, 12:46 pm
I am telling you, honestly, that I know my personality, and I will not feel comfortable leaving Twix there...

But you feel comfortable getting him there, and therefore comfortable about the one(s) that will be bred to replace him.

Regarding Petco being called Petkill, this is from April of this year:

Authorities recently raided Dutch animal dealer and breeding mill Reintjes (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.omroepbrabant.nl/%3Fnews/153312492/5900%2Bverwaarloosde%2Bknaagdieren%2Bin%2BSint%2BA nthonis.aspx&ei=wRWjTfn8M8Lf0QGW3oCBBQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBoQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsint%2Banthonis%2B5900%2Bverwaarloosd e%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4DMUS_enUS280US315%26prmd%3D ivns)—a supplier of U.S. Global Exotics (USGE) (http://features.peta.org/pettrade/default.asp)—and found animals crammed in cages in a dark warehouse with no working fan to combat stale air and the stench of urine and feces. Many animals had no access to food or water, and many were starving. Authorities seized every animal on the premises—5,900 in all, including mice, rats, hamsters, and birds—from Reintjes' owners, who already had criminal records for cruelty to animals.

Reintjes was a global supplier of animals to the pet trade (http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2010/01/08/USGE-Conditions-Reflect-Industry-Standards.aspx). In 2009 alone, it supplied 112,546 animals to USGE (http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2010/05/03/US-Global-Exotics-Defunct-Former-Owner-a-Federal-Fugitive-New-Footage-Released.aspx), a major supplier of animals to wholesale dealers and pet stores in the U.S.—including PETCO and PetSmart suppliers Rainbow World Exotics (https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1133) and Sun Pet (https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=3130)—until it was shut down following a PETA undercover investigation (http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2010/01/05/Dealer-Loses-Custody-of-Stock-Because-of-Cruel-Treatment-of-Animals.aspx). ...

Authorities raiding USGE found live animals shoved into soda bottles and tiny food storage containers; animals with severe, untreated injuries; a widespread lack of food, water, and adequate housing; and sick animals left to die. In fact, on the day of the seizure, an unpacked shipment of hundreds of chinchillas and hamsters from Reintjes was among the first things authorities found.

So why isn't PetKill synonymous with Petco and Petsmart? Aren't the conditions in the quote above worth your being made a little uncomfortable about your decision to buy a pet store pet? Because it's the people who don't understand about the abominable conditions these animals are kept in who perpetuate the trade. But you do know, and still plan to do it anyway.

Ask Teresa how many tens of thousands of dollars of her own money she's spent rescuing guinea pigs that are the result of pet store sales and back yard breeders. If you won't take her advice, you won't take anyone's.

jayval
09-28-11, 12:49 pm
Ok ..Surfings :)
Also, not that this will help, but I will say I looked at Petsmart yesterday for the heck of it, and I didnt not liek the living conditions at ll of there guinea pigs, very cramped, too many in one tank, (even though they shoudl be in tanks at all) and some really did not look healthy at all..At Petco, when I first saw Twix, only one or two in a cage, and they all looked really healthy....I do think some stores work harder and are more compassionate then some..Even though, you are right in the long run, its still supporting improper behavior...

RubyRain
09-28-11, 12:52 pm
Jayval-you have now experienced the passion and dedication of guinea pig owners and advocates! They are a tough but loving crowd for sure!
I'm also glad the site owner is really trying to keep newcomers like you from being bombarded with criticism. I understand where it's coming from but many newcomers get here AFTER the fact so I think that's where some of of the strong feelings are coming from since many feel you have a choice to NOT buy-even though you don't feel you do.
I think you have maintained some thick skin and hopefully learned a lot.
Good luck with your pig endeavors!

jayval
09-28-11, 12:56 pm
Bpatters, but you are still not letting it go!!! LET IT GO!!! We all get it....Please stop trying to make me feel guilty, My decision is ; SCREAMING now, sorry!!! I AM NOT LEAVING TWIX ...I ALREADY GOT INVOLVED, AND I AM NOT LEAVING HIM AT PETCO TO SIT THERE......Honestly, its not our responsiblity to save these animals..Its the RICH Ceo's that run these places, and until state authorites get involved..Its not going to change..Im sorry...And I think its great what these rescues do, but they have been doing it for years and years, with all kinds of animals, and the all these problems of animal cruelty still exist...Period. Its a said world we live in but thats the way it is.

jayval
09-28-11, 12:56 pm
Thanks Ruby Rain :)

jayval
09-28-11, 12:58 pm
AND i also already explained, that if i ever buy another it will be adopted..so dont worry you did get thru ..ok....you did your job..thank you..end of story...if you dont want to support Twix when he comes home then please refrain from posting when I ask questions...

cupcake.ninja
09-28-11, 01:00 pm
I just want to throw this out there...
SurfingPigs said "Every pet purchased from them is one less open home for a pet at a high-kill animal shelter that will die. "

If i hadn't bought Gunner from PetCo, I wouldn't have started looking to adopt a companion from our shelter. Having Gunner is the reason I want to give another piggie a home... So a lot of people's first guinea pig is bought in the wrong for all the right reasons and, in the end, most of us end up adopting a companion for our pet store black sheep from a shelter when we otherwise wouldn't have done it.

So i think "Petkill" actually helped save a piggie's life. At least here. I never would have even thought about going to a shelter for a GP because I've heard horror stories about sick pets from those places. In doing research, i now know it's better to go there. Wouldn't have done that without Gunner.

SurfingPigs
09-28-11, 01:11 pm
@cupcake.ninja (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=19556) : You are absolutely right in the respect that many people purchase their first pigs from a pet store and then learn and change their ways. I implore you to explain to me how, if knowing beforehand that purchasing is a terrible decision, someone couldn't adopt their first pig and continue on the same road that you explain?

Please explain to me how one's ignorance in purchasing an animal doesn't equate to the following: one guinea pig purchased from Petco by someone determined to purchase a guinea pig = one guinea pig purchased instead of adopted. Thus, one more pig waiting for adoption in a rescue, thus one less space for a rescue to pull a pig from a high-kill shelter, thus great odds that one pig in a high-kill shelter gets put to sleep.

That happens every day. Contact OCCH if you don't believe me or the 5 pigs I picked up from a shelter that told us they would be killed if we didn't make room to pick them up. If you can refute my logic, I will happily retract my statements. Unfortunately, my statement is true. The bottom line is, if you had known about the hell these animals go through before you purchased Gunnar, you would have adopted your first pig, and another pig as a friend if your research led you to that. Thus you would have saved two pigs, not just one. Bottom line is: purchased pig = 1 less home for an adoptable pig.

"wouldn't have done that without Gunnar"

No, you even said yourself "in doing research, i now know it's better to go (to a rescue)." Sure, you chose to do research after getting your animal. But you said your doing research led to your new conclusion. Therefore, if you had done your research before purchasing, you would have gone to a rescue for your pig. Either that, or you are admitting that you would have done research, known the horrors, and still purchased from Petco. So, which is it?

(By the way, that last question is rhetorical. I still stand by my point, and have provided sound logical reasoning for it)

Inle_Rabbit
09-28-11, 01:15 pm
I can see why you can't leave Twix there especially after reading everything that might happen to him since he is sick. I get that, chances are since Petco is keeping you up to date on everything you've already spent the 35 bucks to buy him, right? The choice then is pretty much nil. Except to ask for a refund and then the guinea pig gets what? Sent back to the breeder, left in a back room, smashed on a table? I couldn't do it either. Your guinea pig will need a friend once he is healthy and from the sounds of it that friend guinea pig will come from a rescue or rehoming ad.

I think the point most people have is saving animals and shutting down these mill breeding operations has to start somewhere, and it starts with people taking their money else where. No money = no sold animals. Politicians will not get involved until the voting public does and the voting public will not get involved until they know there is a problem. Thus the second step is education. Money talks more and faster than politicians though.

cupcake.ninja
09-28-11, 01:24 pm
But if you're like me and you didn't research ahead of time, your option was store or no pig because you just don't know where else to get them.

If you do know that shelters are better then by all means, adopt off the bat. But what i'm saying is that I'm not the only person i know who went the 'petco then shelter' route. So in this instance, without petco, there would be a piggie sitting in a shelter without a home. Technically he's still sitting in a shelter, but tomorrow Gunner is going with us to find a friend.

Not all cases are like mine, but some are.

I also have a question that doesn't make sense to me...

You are quick to say 'leave the pet store guinea pig there to suffer and adopt a shelter pig', but how is that any different than letting a shelter pig die?
The little piggies at pet stores didn't do anything wrong to deserve to be left there to suffer maltreatment and questionable practices. Why are shelter piggies deserving of love and not pet store GPs? I understand that it encourages pet stores to keep breeding, but on the same note, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Gunner was going to be put down by the pet store because he wasn't able to be sold. He was an adult and no one wanted him. I saved him even if i did give a pet store $40 for him. Some of the logic i'm hearing just doesn't sit right.

CavySpirit
09-28-11, 01:29 pm
Bpatters, but you are still not letting it go!!! LET IT GO!!! We all get it....Please stop trying to make me feel guilty, My decision is ; SCREAMING now, sorry!!! I AM NOT LEAVING TWIX ...I ALREADY GOT INVOLVED, AND I AM NOT LEAVING HIM AT PETCO TO SIT THERE......Honestly, its not our responsiblity to save these animals..Its the RICH Ceo's that run these places, and until state authorites get involved..Its not going to change..Im sorry...And I think its great what these rescues do, but they have been doing it for years and years, with all kinds of animals, and the all these problems of animal cruelty still exist...Period. Its a said world we live in but thats the way it is.

Jayval, if you want to stop being upset, then just unsubscribe from this thread and stop posting on it and stop reading it. But, when you tout the same old rubbish about 'that's the way it's always been and there is nothing I, you or anyone can do about it, because it's controlled by the rich muckie mucks,' then you are really just amping up the debate to a whole new level.

You continue to have every opportunity to disengage from the conversation, but choose not to.

Once you buy your guinea pig and post about him and ask for care advice, you'll get the same advice and caring and participation as everyone else does on this forum. No prejudice. It doesn't matter where you got your guinea pig. So, 'support' is not an issue.

The issue, at the moment, is your belief system. And that of many, many others.

What if, Petco decided they wouldn't sell him to you for some strange reason? Then you know what? You'd be forced to look elsewhere and set your sights on some new animal. It's all in your mind on your 'involvement' and you control what you think. You've been sold. You are buying. You are now informed. You still have the option.

No one has been rude. No one has insulted you personally.

And yes, it IS our responsibility to save animals. If not yours and mine, then whose? Your decisions and actions absolutely have consequences.

You save them by NOT buying. There are additional things you can do, but that is job one. To not be a customer of the process.

You don't agree. Well, you agree for the future. You agree for the times when you aren't sorely tempted and tantalized by the cute pig. You agree for the times when you don't want something.

It's just not easy. It is so not easy. It's extremely difficult, actually, to NOT want. To let go of your 'want.'

It just gets old here when people try to justify their 'want' with logic. It always ends up like it is now, with you being highly pissed off, because we'll keep coming back with logic, and your refuting arguments are going to get more and more outlandish.

I personally think it's a sad world we live in, because too many of us can't let go of our wants and be more selfless. It's not just the fat cats. It's all of us in different and varying ways.

I think that over time, if you stick around, and you get more of a chance to read new threads and see other situations that are going to come and go, you will maybe start to appreciate where we are coming from.

In the meantime, I wouldn't be so personally invested in getting people to give you much support in your decision to buy. Just get on with it, and post later on other threads when you have questions or whatever.

When you stop posting on this one, people will stop replying and you can move on. But, if you want to continue on in a debate of the issues, then expect it to get more heated. It's really your choice. So, please make a conscious decision, and don't complain about it when it happens if that's what you decide to do. :)

SurfingPigs
09-28-11, 01:30 pm
You are quick to say 'leave the pet store guinea pig there to suffer and adopt a shelter pig', but how is that any different than letting a shelter pig die?

I propose the following scenario, and you let me know which you think is better: 100s dead guinea pigs and the trade responsible for hoard after hoard of these guinea pigs being put into this situation just to make profits being ended. Or, 10000s of dead guinea pigs and the trade that is leading to the proliferation and death of these guinea pigs left to reap monetary rewards.

Those are the options that the breeding situation makes us face, and that is that. If you choose the second as the better option, I feel sorry for you.

jayval
09-28-11, 03:04 pm
Will do cavvy spirit :) ...And ninja, I agree with you..

4theLOVEofPigs
10-22-11, 03:27 am
I am not saying that your daughter may or may not be allergic to the GP.
But I suffer from normal everyday allergies, and am mildly ashmatic, I am not saying my allergies are the same as your daughters, I am just sighting example.

You say about a small red spot or bump showing up on your daughter?
Pigs have coarse hair to begin with and after holding my pigs against my bare skin, or putting them under my neck to snuggle them.
I'll break out in itchy bumps for either a short time or an hour or so.
My eyes will often itch as well afterwards and I'll put in some eye drops just regular ones to help calm them down, But I also suffer from mild dry eyes to begin with.

Since I don't really know your daughters situation I can't really say if you should get a GP or not?
But have you tried maybe holding the GP for awhile yourself against lets say your shirt, and then try rubbing it against your daughter gently.
If she is allergic then she should break out, and if not it may just be because of the coarse hair while she is holding him/her.

Like others have said it wouldn't be fair to either to get the pig and then have to rehome it because you regretted something later that you should've thought about now.

But at the same time it wouldn't be fair not to allow your family the experience of having a GP if there really isn't a problem either.

Good Luck!!!

jayval
10-22-11, 05:08 am
Thanks for the love of pigs :) This post is slightly older and we have had th epig for abut 3 weeks, so far so good..The pig is oing well after we think he had a URI, but honestly I think maybe he is allergic to hay, ? Cause the only time I ever heard hm sneeze is when he eats his hay..He is warming up to us, eattig veggies out of my han, and absolutely loves when my husban types on his computer..He jumps in the air and makes the cute noises