Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

hello from me and buttercup

gidgetsgirl90

Cavy Slave
Hello, my name is Melissa i live in central tn USA with my guinea pig buttercup and dogs cats horses chickens and ducks, i have had buttercup little over a month now, i got her from pet-co. i cant find any shelters who have guinea pigs near by. closest one is 50+ miles away, i will be building her a c and c cage. but i cant find coroplast locally. is there anything else i can use? plexiglass maybe?, i am looking for her a friend or 2 and the cage will be 2 or 3 story's with a loft. i do want a little help designing the cage if someone wants to help i will get the size of the space it can fit in. i am also trying to find her better food local. if not then i will order from kmshayloft, unless there's somewere closer online?, i would like to know if i should feed her alfalfa pellets for the next month or 2 i am not sure how old she is i would say 4 or 5 months guinea pigs don stay at hat sore long, maybe a day or 2. rarely a week. she is 1 pound 2.8 oz. thanks every one Melissa and Buttercup:love:
p.s. buttercup was a gift from a close friend of mine for my 21st birthday:D

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hi, welcome to the forum.

You can use other things than coroplast. You'll need something waterproof for the bottom of the cage to keep the moisture from soaking through. And depending on what you use for bedding and how much you object to having things scratched through the cage bars and out onto the floor, you may want to put something in to go several inches up the walls of the cage.

There are plenty of horses in Tennessee, and you should be able to find hay locally much cheaper than you can order from KMS Hayloft. You want a good timothy or other grass hay. Contact some of the horse stables around your area and see where they get their hay from. A bale shouldn't be much, and will last you for months. She needs hay ALL the time.

Buttercup needs alfalfa pellets until she's about six months old or so, then can move to timothy pellets. It's not a hard and fast cut-off date, and if necessary, I'd give them to her a few weeks longer rather than shorter. Give her about 1/4 cup per day until she's 6-8 months old, then cut back to 1/8 cup.

Please do read the stickies in the diet and nutrition forum here, particularly these:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...g-nutrition-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...a-pig-nutrition-charts-discussion-thread.html

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/24770-sample-veggie-menus.html

gidgetsgirl90

Cavy Slave
i will be using fleece pads i am making so mess isn't a big problem. i do how ever still want sides on it like the coroplast has, dose walmart have something similar?

i have read those links, i just wasn't sure on the pellets sense i am not 100% sure of her age, thanks for reminding me of them though:heart:

skinnyguineaus

Cavy Slave
My wooden kitchen cupboard was converted into a cage. Because the cupboad shelf and walls are made of wood I had to protect them and make it sanitary for the little piggies... I used plaxiglass on the bottoms and wall. My doors are also made with it. I went to my local ACE hardware and they cut to fit my measurements. I use silicon filling to attach the bottoms to the wall pieces (it's safe!). It looks great and it cleans very well. I have a layer of puppy pads on the corners a Uhaul pad than a fleece liner going over all. It works well, doesn't smell for a week and the guys love it!
Take a look at my galery photos... You can see the cage under "nursery".
It was not cheap to get the plaxiglass but it was worth it :)

Hay- you should look for a PetSupplyPlus if you don't find any bulk hay of good quality around you. A 50lb Oxbow orchard grass box will last you awhile and costs about $55

If you need bulk pellets for young guineas (alfalfa based) I suggest Buck eye. You need to check on their site a store that is able to order for you in your area. 50lbs costs $19. It's 22% protein and good quality. (NOT excelent). You can always stick to Oxbow pellets too. They are excelent quality.

Good luck with your search for a rescue guinea friend!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.