Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello to all!

tlephin

Cavy Slave
Hello, I have been lurking in the forum for quite some time and I believe now is a great time to actually introduce myself. Since, well, I just recently adopted my second (and final for now) guinea pig, who is now in quarantine. Urk I'm jumping a little ahead of myself.

Well, I unintentionally became a Guinea Pig slave. It all started when we adopted Smore's from a women on Craigslist. At that time I was set on getting a Breaded Dragon, and he was to be the family pet (Ha he is mine now!) because my parents didn't want a cat or a dog. There wasn't really any research before hand, and basically I thought they were just overgrown hamsters (I'm so ashamed of it now). e didn't come with a cage, so for one night he stayed in a large storage bin, before I ran to the store the next morning and got a 'Deluxe Stater Cage'. Right afterwords I actually began to look into guinea pigs, and boy did I feel horrible. In a desperate urge to learn as much as I could, I dedicated the last two weeks of my summer for research. At the moment he is still in the 'Deluxe' cage ~ughhh~ but in about a week, I am going to begin the construction of their 3x5 c&c cage. He gets a bunch of floor time, and my room is 100% piggy safe. ❤️

My newest piggy is named Oreo (We didn't name either of them), we adopted him 2 days ago from another women on craigslist. I refused to buy one from a pet store, and didn't want to buy from a breeder. Unlike with smores, he came with a cage that is still too small for him, but will have to do until the end of his quarantine period. He is rooming in my younger sisters room (that they never use), but I am his main caregiver, then my mother. He is a LOT calmer then Smore's, and a whole lot bigger. Although he has only been in our family for two days, he has already nudged his way through my heart.

Well that is sort of my story, I guess. In case you were wondering,
  • I changed my mind of about the dragon, about a week later once I had totally fallen in love with Smore's.
  • I'm a senior in high school, i'm planning on taking them to college with me. I can't for the first year, so my mother will be taking care of them, but defiantly for the second year.
  • I'm a female.
  • I'm pretty sure that by the end of this year, I'm not going to have any friends; since they are already getting tired of me talking about my babies. I can't help it!!! lol
I do have some questions/concerns though;

We took smore's to the vet for just a check up, and the vet said he was perfectly healthy and what not but might be a little under weight. We have been given him just a little bit extra food since then, and from time to time give him a little alfalfa hay as a treat, but timothy hay is the main hay we give him though. The lady we adopted him from said he was a year old, but he is sooo tiny, like half the size of both Oreo and Victor (my best friend's, boar) who is just a little over year old, and victor is 8 months.. He weighs about 444grams, whereas Victor is 888grams. I'm thinking that the lady we got him from didn't really know all that much about him, or at the very least his age...But is could there be another reason for why he is so tiny?

Another concern I have is about my carpet. Smore's floor time is on my bedroom floor. I know I am suppose to wipe his scent completely off of everything, but I don't really know how to? Also I was worrying that when they are introduced and hopefully bonded, if Smores will go territorial or get upset about Oreo's being in it, but not from smell, from visual. Smores knows what my room looks like.

Once Oreo's quarantine is over, would it be a good idea to move his cage into my one,but not let them meet nose to nose yet?

And finally, the last few days, smores has became a lot more nippy and hasn't really been wanting to be handled. I think its because he might smell Oreo on me, but usually I change clothes, and wash my hands afterwards. Could this be a bad sign for when I do introduce them?

Err that is all for now. Thank you, for reading. I'm sorry I rambled a lot. :)
Uhh thanks again!

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!! Sounds like you have been doing your homework. Your pigs are very lucky to have you as a piggie momma.
Your should keep Oreo in quaratine for about 3 weeks. Look for any signs of illness or mites.
When the time comes check out cavyspirit.com and look up the social thread.
With your new c&c cage: make sure it is big enough. the more room the better. It should be at least a 2x4. You can put your boys in together. All smells should be freshand new with no smells of each other. Have 2 of everything. Hideys should have open backs so one pig cannot trap the other.
Let them check each other out, decide who is boss. Do not seperate unless there is bloodshed.
Keep us posted. We love pictures.

Last edited:

tlephin

Cavy Slave
Aww, Thank you.
Okay! i was planning on have Oreo in quaratine for only two weeks, but three weeks sounds like a better idea. Just to make sure, beyond all doubt.

Ohh I have been, this site, cavysprit, guinealynx, has been the three sites I stalk. Heehee

Okay! Hmmm would the Fleece Forest be a better alternative to the regular hidey-houses? I've read about them, and they sound really interesting and unique, But will they offer the same kind of security as likes say a box with two entry ways?

Ahh, I won't separate them unless there is bloodshed, I hope there won't be.
Thank you, for the information and welcoming me.

Oh and as for pictures, here are a couple.
The Tri-colored one is my baby Smores, and the lambish one is Oreo. Sorry for the crappy quality of the photo's, my phone's camera sucks...Also I need to take more pictures of Oreo.
Eee I just love my babies! :love:

Attachments

2011-09-05 12.59.39.jpg 2011-09-10_12.12.48.jpg 2011-09-21 14.13.12.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.