Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Sleeping With Eyes Open

GuineaTiel

Cavy Slave
Do/can guinea pigs sleep with their eyes open? I walked in my room today and marshmallow was just sitting (kind of huddled up) in the middle of the cage. His eyes were wide open but he didn't move a muscle. He usually runs or squeaks when I walk around the cage but he didn't move a muscle. I freaked out for a second before I got the courage to pet him. He jolted then ran to hide. Was/could he have been sleeping? Thanks

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep, they can/do. Mine only slept with their eyes open when I first got them, but now sleep with them closed, one more so than the other. The more skittish one tends to nap with her eyes open, but I do catch her snoozing with the closed.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
When I first got my girls they too,hardly ever slept with them closed. Now, 9 months later-- my girl Buttercup nearly always sleeps with her eyes closed. My other girl Cuddles ( whose temperament is more nervous) usually keeps her open, but at least she doesn't have that "on guard" look anymore...she is much more relaxed now.

Last edited:

LoveMySnickers

Cavy Slave
My boys slept with their eyes open in the beginning, Licorice still does once and awhile.But Snickers is always asleep with his eyes closed. Sometimes I think he's passed away because he's so still with his eyes closed. Scary!

GuineaTiel

Cavy Slave
That makes a lot more sense. The one that sleeps with his eyes open is still VERY skittish. (im not sure if the other one does because he is all black so you cant really see his face) Thanks for the reply.

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I've never seen my three girls sleep with their eyes closed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.