Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Coughing Coughing? Hacking?

PinkBelly

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, well Rocky has been making very weird sounds today and I am starting to get worried. This morning I heard this cough or choking sound from up stairs and I ran down to check on my piggies but both were fine (looking at me like "Hey wheres my food!) I thought I might have just heard something else. I came back home from work and I heard that cough/ choking sound again and saw Rocky shake his head a little (like if he was rubbing it on the floor?) But...as far as I know his eating, pooping, acting normal and "looks" healthy. Any one know what might be causing this cough or choking sound? He doesn't have anything in his mouth and I don't think he was eating when he made that sound. Thanks

PinkBelly

Cavy Slave
I just heard it while I was holding him and it kind of sounds like a Kazoo..

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is it a hooting sound? How old is Rocky?

Hooting is often a sign of heart problems in a pig. Usually heart issues affect older pigs, but some younger pigs have them.

If it's not hooting, he may have gobbled his food too fast and gotten slightly choked.

PinkBelly

Cavy Slave
He is 5 or 6 months old. It sounds more like a cough (maybe like a human dry cough). I've been watching him and so far he hasn't made that sound and he ate his dinner normally. Hopefully it wasn't anything =T (I just worry about them cause I love them so much).

Is it a hooting sound? How old is Rocky?

If it's not hooting, he may have gobbled his food too fast and gotten slightly choked.

It may be that he ate his food fast, cause he does do that sometimes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.