Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! :)

MooMoo

Cavy Gazer
Hello, my name is Jasmine.
just about 2 weeks ago i got a 3 month old guinea pig and i named it Moo.
I love Moo so much! I am the only one in my family who takes care of him and he trusts me very much. I am new to cavies so i know i have a lot of questions but i just wanted to introduce myself and Moo :)
- Jasminelol

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Always nice to see new member's wanting to learn more about their piggys! Please, feel free to ask questions, we will be here to answer them :cheerful: Cant wait for pics of your piggy!

MooMoo

Cavy Gazer
Thank you very much!
i had a question about sounds. My sweet Moo trust me alot and what i do sometimes is brush him and then pet his fur the other way around(like against him) and sometimes he makes a happy sound but then he makes another sound and i cant tell if its teeth chattering or purring... if you have any ideas please tell me, and how do i get him to trust me and make more happy sounds? 040.jpg

rosypeppernme

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs usually don't enjoy having their hair brushed or pet against the direction of their hair growth. Try using a cuddle cup or towel to make her feel more secure when you are brushing and petting him. Make sure the brush is very soft as well.

It may also make him excited if you give some vegetable to nibble on while you are holding and petting her. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
if you have any ideas please tell me, and how do i get him to trust me and make more happy sounds?

Stop brushing his hair backwards. I've never met a guinea pig who liked to have that done.

Hold him, pet him very gently, and feed him while you've got him in your lap. Put your hands in the cage frequently, and give him a treat each time (tiny treats, like just a small piece of grape, a step of hay with a seed pod on it, a bit of cilantro, etc.) It doesn't have to be much, he just needs to learn to associate you with good things.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
Welcome! There is a lot to learn so browse around all the great info and pics here.
Ditto to the above advice-only brush him in the right direction. Many also like to have behind their ears rubbed.
Cute picture-enjoy him!

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Chin and forehead scratches are what my guys love. Very cute little piggie you have there!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.