Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Head got stuck

N

night isis

Head got stuck

I don't have room for a cage made out of the connectable grids but recently set up some to create a run for my piggy in my dorm room. He was fine in it for about 20 mins but then he attempted the great escape through on of the holes and got his head stuck. I got it out with no probles but I was wondering about how big they have to be before their head will stop geting stuck as I was planning on creating a cage out of this when I got home this summer. My pigie currently weighs 1lb, 2oz.

Thank you,
~Becka

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Head got stuck

Never heard of that! The grid holes are only 1 and 1/2 inches wide. I've never seen a guinea pig over the age of about 4 or 5 weeks that could possibly get their head stuck in that small of a space, certainly not an adult.

Either you've got a different size grid opening, or you've got a very strangely shaped guinea pig. In either case, you'll need to double up the grids so that the opening is halved. You must always do what is right and safe for your situation with your animals.

If you don't want to double up the grids, you'll need to put some kind of protection up against the side, like cardboard, so he doesn't go running into it. Maybe even laying some newspaper sections up against the wall. He could play with the newspaper that way, too.

Also, it sounds strange to me that he is trying to get out of a run. Exercise areas should be big enough so that they feel like they have lots of room to run around without trying to get out. Maybe make it bigger and add more familiar items inside of it for him to explore.

K

kimbers and snuffles

head got stuck too

i bought the cubes today and there great :) my 1 year old guinea pig liked being able to be out in my room but my new 7 week old guinea pig pushed his head through. im going to have a go at putting the newspaper up the side, ill watch him in the play pen till he is big enough to not get him head stuck and run around freely. :) kim

Attachments

darla.jpg silvermist.jpg pancake.jpg cage1.jpg flyer1.jpg darlacurious.jpg darladezzy.jpg before1.jpg dezzy2.jpg messy.jpg piggies.jpg newside1.jpg newside2.jpg piggies1.jpg darlacute.jpg dezzy.jpg puffyfluffy2.jpg puffy.jpg puffy2.jpg puffyfluffy.jpg
N

Nibblet8

Re: head got stuck too

My little friend Chip was about 8 weeks before he was too big to squeeze right through the squares. Luckily he never got his head stuck. I guess you just have to wait until they are big enough.

Better safe than sorry. :)

Attachments

marybell7.jpg trudy5.jpg mable8.jpg trudy6.jpg jellybean1.jpg
R

rufluffy

More than a head...

Well we just adopted 2 new piggies but they are very young females. I didn't think to ask how old though I wish I had. They are barely bigger than our fully grown hamster.
We just made a cube cage for them but they can't play in it yet!
Misty went right through 8o the one support grid!
She put her head through and then the rest of her body. Did this twice while trying to catch her. Fortunately she did not get caught or stuck either time!

The cubes are the standard 1 1/2 inch. I am thinking of either putting additional coroplast along all grids until they get bigger. For now Misty and Buttercup are stuck in a standard petstore guinea cage as I could not trust them not to go out the outside grids.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.