Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flags Boars like to be alone!

cavycuddler91

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Really?
I've only had boars and they LOVE other males. I've had board the passed 10 years and all have been with cage mates. I've never seen a rescue that promotes single males. They are herd animals.
Or maybe I'm missig something?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Maybe they are just a person who likes guinea pigs and decided to rescue them? I've only ever had boars and all except my first, (I was 7), had cage mates and they were very happy like that.

cavycuddler91

Cavy Slave
This lady also bought a guinea from a breeder and shows it as well. I don't know. Sounds iffy to me.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I think I would send an e-mail, maybe link to some good posts here, just say "Hey, guinea pigs like guinea pigs!" Maybe they breed and rescue. I think it would be hard to breed and know what rescued pigs go through though. I don't know, but she needs some help in understanding that they are very social little things at the very least!

guinea pony

Cavy Slave
They probably don't want to take them time to socialize them. It does take time to figure who is dominate and which boars are better together. I have 3 boars that are VERY bonded and 2 foster boars who are VERY bonded. I think it's a shame this rescue is promoting single pigs:(

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I doubt that it's what I call a "legitimate" rescue. Seems like they breed and show. Perhaps males that have been used for breeding are harder to get to bond?

In my rescue, if I have a male that absolutely won't get along with other males, I have him neutered and paired with a female. I hate the thought of guinea pigs living alone.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I've only ever had boars and its an absolute fallacy that they won't get along or that they'll fight or that they "like" to be alone. I've never had trouble with boars as cage mates.

It sounds like she's a breeder posing as a rescue. I would email her with some info links to educate her and then flag for removal.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Rescues don't breed. This is a breeder. I'm moving this thread to the CL forum. It needs to be flagged.

StudioCavy

Cavy Slave
My boars are cage mates and I have to take them both out if I wana hold one or the other squeaks his head off for his buddy. I mean maybe if one had been bred I can see him being more territorial but like the previous posters stated they love friends lol

PinkBelly

Cavy Slave
I guess someone tried to explain it to them and they responded:

"(broken link removed)
September 26, 2011 at 2:13 am
Thanks for your concern. I do keep pairs or trios of boars together where possible for companionship – but in many cases the males that arrive here are already 5+ months old and don’t know each other. They are housed in C&C cages so they can see, smell and hear each other every day but unless there is a very young one to pair them with, many of the boars will not accept a strange boar even after months of side by side living and gradual introductions. You are certainly right about the group mentality and every effort is made to pair a boar with a suitable companion. However I don’t want people thinking they can just get a boar and put it with the one they have and as Craigslist has a large number of people who are just looking – it is often easier to explain in proper introductions and precautions in person."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.