Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help needed with cage building

dashtherabbit

Cavy Slave
I am wanting to make a bigger cage for my new rabbit, I see a lot of you use cable ties to join the cubes together. My question is, how and where do you place the cable ties so that the cubes are sturdy?

If there is somewhere that explains this please let me know, and if it has pictures even better!! ;)

Christys GPS

Cavy Slave
When I built my cavy cage, I use the connecters and also I put electrical ties, on the top, middle, end of the cubes.

O_________O
1 1 This is the cube, O's are connecters
The numbers is where I used Ties.
2 2

3 3
o_________o

Hope this helps, you can look in photo galleries and see some there. Not sure where though.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
When I used cabe ties, I put three on, one in the left, right, and middle, do this for every cube.

dashtherabbit

Cavy Slave

is it normal for the cubes t still move when they are tied together like this? I take it when I add another level they wont move so much?

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Once you put the cage together, it should be more sturdy. If its not you can add more cable ties where needed.

dashtherabbit said:
is it normal for the cubes t still move when they are tied together like this? I take it when I add another level they wont move so much?

lilliesmomma

Cavy Slave
I think the key to sturdiness comes from having different levels. Once you put in different levels of floors (shelves) this helps stabilize the whole thing. But I know what you are saying, it's not the same as a store-built cage. You get used to it and in some cases it's nice to be able to manipulate it sometimes.

Once you build it, it's usually too big to move around anyway.

dashtherabbit

Cavy Slave
thanks for your help, its now built and I amazed a how stable it is!! the only fright I have had is, I made it two cubes high with half a lid....big mistake, not only can my baby bunny climb like a pro but she can actually jump that height too!!!! What a fright she gave me, well needless to say I have now put a full top on, teehee. I am thinking maybe she is a hare rather than a bunny ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.