Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss Weight loss after surgery?

PassionPiggies

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig Honey had her second surgery since May to address bladder stones. Apparently the vet said her bladder was so full it was like a "beanbag" - blunt, I know. He's clueless about how they got so big and so many in such a short time.

Anyway, she's post-surgery 3 days. I wanted her to recover some, eat some, and then weigh her. I was completely shocked at the number. Before her surgery she was 830 grams - low compared to her highest weight of 1300 grams. Today she weighed 680 grams! That's like 5 oz weight loss. I'm assuming that it was bladder stone weight - but it seems extreme. Has anyone else experienced this? She had over 20 bladder stones with sludge, if that matters. She's skinny now, but more energetic since the surgery and she's eating. Yes, we have a special diet that we are following in hopes of stopping bladder stone formation (but the vet says it's probably a serious genetic problem).

So, yes, just wondering if anyone has experienced this extreme weight loss.

PassionPiggies

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry to say that Honey passed away this morning at 2AM. She was rushed to the vet around 6PM last night after 3 seizures and being unable to stand up. Evidently, in addition to bladder stones, she had developed kidney stones. This caused a blockage which allowed a build up of toxins to occur in her body. She's in a better place now - happy, healthy, pain free. I'm incredibly upset right now, we're preparing for a proper funeral and I'm creating a photo albulm of her. That's all.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry you lost Honey. I've read of other pigs that developed multiple stones very quickly, and that does suggest a genetic problem.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I am sorry. How old was she?

partygirlha

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.