Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

dog cares for abandoned baby

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
There isn't much info on the dog but it's an interesting story. Hopefully someone will realize that this dog deserves a home. Unfortunately the last line of the article is a bit gruesome.
(broken link removed)

pennick

Cavy Slave
They couldn't care less about the lives of infants, I don't think they would care much about whether this dog has a home or not. But then again some people may put an animals welfare over that of a human.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
The baby is now safe. It is horrible that they abandon babies so wantonly there.

I did not mean to imply that the baby's wellbeing was less important then the dog's. I just meant that this stray dog is remarkable to be able to bypass it's predator instinct and save/care for the baby instead of eat it (like the other dog mentioned in the article). Imagine how loyal and protective this dog would be to a family that gave her a home.

I understand that this dog getting a home is remote seeing as how they can't even care for their children there. I just found this article an interesting insight into how amazing an animal can be. Think about it. This child's parents put her into a plastic bag and tossed her into the forest to die. It was a dog that saved her. It makes you wonder which is truly the animal in this story.

tinkerbell

Cavy Slave
I totally agree with you voodoo, as sad as it may be this is how the world works in some places, not everyone is as forganet to live the live that we have.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Its these places that need to be educated about safe sex, contraception, etc.

Way to go for the dog, I hope she and her puppies find a loving home, however unlikely it may seem.

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
It is when i read stuff like this that it makes me think about how interesting animals are and how smart they can be!

onyx979

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,

Ok here is my 2 sence worth on this topic. For years (as far back as i can remember) orginizations have been asking us to send money over to these countries so they can have food, clean drinking water and education. By doing this we are telling them, "It's ok to have more babies then you can care for, we're dumb enough to keep sending more food for them." What they are forgeting to ask for and send, is CONDOMS!! They should be shipped there by the crate loads. These people can barely feed and cloth themselves, so why in the blue hell are they having more babies? Don't get me worng, i'm not saying these people should starve, but they should be more carefull as to how many more mouths they bring onto this mud ball world.

As far as the Animals are concerned, it never ceases to amaze me how amazing and surpriseing thier behavoir can be at times. This dog, who was no dout staving, put aside her hunger to help "Angle" to the best of her abilities. She tried to keep her warm and safe by bringing her to where her babies where. Most of the time I have more compation for the animals of this world then people. I know of a few people that think animals have no feelings, that they run on pure instinct. Well this marvel of a dog has just proved that she has more feelings than "Angle's" mother.

Onyx

Access

Cavy Slave
The current administration doesn't like the C-word, they are under too much pressure from the religious right to send them to anyone. Clinton sent out many, Bush took them away and sends out abstinance brochures in their place.

Quiet Things

Cavy Slave
The only way a lot of those woman can actually earn any money is through prostitution. They are often sold to brothels to work, so their family can eat. Bush never deserved to be elected, I know I am in a different country and all but from an outsiders view all he has done is make situations worse. Religion should have nothing to do with health and well being, however it does and until they realise that the only way to decrease the rising population and the rising number of STI related deaths is for them to butt out then there can hardly be a solution. They should offer moral support and financial support and even sex ed but if they don't believe in contraception they should leave that to others.
Sorry if I have offended with my views.

Quiet Things

Cavy Slave
Animals really are amzing though aren't they?! who is totally amazed over and over again when they watch their pigs bond or play or eat or just plain live? And they aren't doing anything hugely remarkable like saving a baby.

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
Access said:
The current administration doesn't like the C-word, they are under too much pressure from the religious right to send them to anyone. Clinton sent out many, Bush took them away and sends out abstinance brochures in their place.

Added to which, the Catholic Church in Africa (sorry to all Catholics here) and others are spreading stories that condoms actually cause AIDS, not prevent it. It's not just the provision of them that's needed, it's the education of the African people as well.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Thats what you get for being totally against birth control. I know I got ripped from my fundamentalist 'friends' for going on birth control. The only reason I was taking it was to control my really bad cramps.

Quiet Things

Cavy Slave
Birth control is a marvellous thing. I mean it can help woman feel so much better, as in slap_maxwell's case and I have a friend who would have a period for three weeks of a month before they found the pill that was right for her. No one has a right to interfere or judge someone because of a choice they have made to help themselves. It is our body we have a choice. There should not be religion involved.

kalrik

Cavy Slave
In many pre industrialized countries the culture promotes having many children as they are assets. This is so engraved in the culture that the logic we have, that is have less children and live more comfortably, would make little sense. Children are needed to tend land work and take care of the parents when they get old. For parents they mean security in many aspects. And on a side note: Bush is an idiot. I am embarrassed he is our president.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
The birth control pill also helps women like me with IBS. My inards go in a big knot at "that time of the month" but with modern birth control I can limit my periods to once every 63 days instead of 21. So I have 42 more days of peace in my gut thanks to it. (Please don't try the same meathod without consulting your doctor. This is part of my treatment) It also helps level out my estrogen levels. Rising and falling levels are the main culprit in IBS.

It's not a wonder drug for IBS but combined with diet and stress relief techiques (can anyone say hours of Kingdom Hearts? That game has done good for my tummy :) ) and a glass of Metimucil every night I have gained a somewhat normal life after living in much pain for 12 years.

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
Sabriel said:
The birth control pill also helps women like me with IBS. My inards go in a big knot at "that time of the month" but with modern birth control I can limit my periods to once every 63 days instead of 21. So I have 42 more days of peace in my gut thanks to it. (Please don't try the same meathod without consulting your doctor. This is part of my treatment) It also helps level out my estrogen levels. Rising and falling levels are the main culprit in IBS.

Sabriel, me too! I sent you a PM.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I think that it's very judgemental and hypocritical to critique other countries for producing more children than they can afford to take care of and for not promoting birth control ... for in the US, people have children they can't afford to take care of all the time and there is no birth control education program here, either. It is all left up to the individual discretion of a person's family, as to what education a person receives on birth control.

I also think it's good that the US sends relief money to these poverty-stricken nations. The US composes a very small percentage of the world's population, yet we use more resources than anyone else, so why shouldn't we give something back to the people that starve and die of treatable illness and work for pennies, just so Americans can wear nice sneakers without paying too much for them?

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
Susan9608 said:
I think that it's very judgemental and hypocritical to critique other countries for producing more children than they can afford to take care of and for not promoting birth control ... for in the US, people have children they can't afford to take care of all the time and there is no birth control education program here, either. It is all left up to the individual discretion of a person's family, as to what education a person receives on birth control.

Judgemental? Probably. Hypocritical? Not from where I'm sitting.

Yes, US people do have children they can't afford but at least the US has an over-abundance of food and water, so only in the most extreme cases will a child die of malnuitrition or lack of water. The same is not true in Africa in many cases.

Susan9608 said:
I also think it's good that the US sends relief money to these poverty-stricken nations.

It is good, but I always found it difficult that that relief is only offered on the condition that the people of Africa NOT be educated about birth control. I don't see how any type of education is a bad thing, especially education which can save or improve lives. People are dying of AIDS in Africa and the epidemic could be slowed with the supply of and education about condoms.

Susan9608 said:
The US composes a very small percentage of the world's population, yet we use more resources than anyone else, so why shouldn't we give something back to the people that starve and die of treatable illness and work for pennies, just so Americans can wear nice sneakers without paying too much for them?

I hate to sound harsh, but please don't kid yourself. On a per capita basis, the US gives much less money to the third world than other countries. From memory, Europe and Japan are much more generous. The US is in no way compensating the rest of the world for the resources that it uses. It won't even sign the Kyoto Protocol, which would go a long way to solving many of the environmental problems which are going to become a huge issue in the future.

And treatable illnesses? US pharmeceutical companies are denying African people vitally needed AIDS medication because they make them pay so much for them, way more than it costs to manufacture the drug in the first place.

Sorry, I know I'm sounding harsh and critical here, but there's a lot I think the American people don't know about what their own government is doing to people around the world. Yes, the US spends a lot of money outside the country, but it's not as much as you seem to think, and it always has conditions attached, it's not free.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Just a follow up. In our daily paper, was the article and a follow up on this story.
It seems interest has come from all over the world on this "very smart dog". Many have asked to adopt both the baby and the dog, so both have homes. The sad note is , the dogs puppies have all died from unknown causes.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I didn't say that the US is generous or gives enough to make up for our use of resources. I said I thought it was good that we (the US) are giving anything.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.