Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Mites, fungus, wound? Not sure.

jimmy12345

Cavy Slave
We purchased two young females (I think the store said they were about 5 weeks old) about two weeks ago and the day before yesterday I noticed some missing hair and unhealthy looking skin beneath the right eye on one of them. It appeared abruptly and has expanded by about 1 mm since I noticed it. I don't believe she is excessively scratching any part of her body. The other one, which appears to be dominant, has made a quick jab while eating a couple of times, but I haven't noticed sustained fighting.

I am currently looking for a good veterinarian, but in the mean time I would like to get the opinion of more experienced owners on what it may be.

IMG_3088.jpg

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It could indeed be mites--they are very common and much of the time pigs bought at pet stores have them. I have noticed that some pigs will show signs of mites around their eyes.

However, it could also be fungus, which also shows up in the eye area. You could do a search on both fungus and mites at Guinea Lynx for more info. You could treat for both following the directions there. If you find a cavy knowledgeable vet he or she should be able to tell you as well.

Since both fungus and mites are so contagious to other pigs, you will want to take care of it soon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.