Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Never introduced myself

guinealora

Cavy Slave
Hello there. I've actually been a member of this forum for two years, but I have never posted a single thing...Ever. I hadn't really given it any thought, I usually just lurk and type things into the search bar and I ALWAYS find the answer to my question if I search through the threads, so it's never been a necessity. But I figured I should probably be a little more active with the guinea pig knowledge that I do have!

Anyway, my name is Alora. When I became a member of the forum I had two guinea pigs, Marley and Regina. However, long story short, my boyfriend and I broke up and he got to keep the kids because I moved away. Fast forward a year and a half, I just adopted 2 new guinea pigs (8 month old females; short haired). My husband and I named them Butters and Piggins.

They have had a bit of a rough life so far. Their first owner bought them as pets for their children, and their children lost interest when the novelty wore off, so they had little to no interaction for the first few months of their lives. The next owners kept them in a dresser drawer and only fed them veggies and pellets. No hay at all. Also, when we got them their nails were curled very badly and looks as though they've never been clipped.

They are extremely skiddish, but I feel there is potential to turn it all around. We've only had them for a week now, but we've put them into a 2' by 4' c&c cage that we built, we use towels and fleece as bedding and we have Kleenmama hay and pellets. They went through three pounds of hay in a week! It was literally the first time they'd had hay, it was adorable. One morning I woke up and the minute they heard me they started wheeking...because they were already out of hay!

I spend a good deal of time talking to them outside of their cage and putting my hand in the cage just to let them know that every time the big hand enters the cage is not necessarily to touch them or pick them up. They also eat vegetables out of my hand, so it's good progress. They are still scared to be held, and don't seem to know what the heck to make of floor time...but we're working on it.

Anyway! It's nice to finally introduce myself, and I hope I can be helpful around here.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome!! It is nice that you know so much about us. Now with your girls, it sounds like they have a wonderful home! Would love to see some pictures. Am looking forward to sharing all things piggie!!

t&ds mum

Cavy Slave
I have made relatively few posts since I joined in 2005 and have not contributed much because I mainly read and search existing posts too. I'm grateful for all the info.
I didn't use this site much over the last couple of years but recently have been spending ages on here as I am trying to figure out some new cage and bedding ideas since I moved house.
How nice that your pigs have a lovely new home :)

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Welcome !:)

What a lovely introduction ! I am so glad that you are here now, so we can swap piggie stories, and share information ! Wow...you have them eating out of your hand after only a week ?!? That is incredible ! You must be some kind of "guinea pig whisperer" to have managed that, after all they have been through, very impressive !

I have two girls myself, and they are around 9 months old, not much older than your gals ! Give Butters and Piggins kisses from all of us, and, of course "ahem'...pigtures would be most welcome !:p

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@guinealora, welcome to the forum!

omfgem

Cavy Slave
Wow, they eat vegetables out of your hand already! That's awesome! It sounds like you have lots of guinea pig knowledge, can't wait to pick your brain lol
Thanks for introducing yourself and ,of course, welcome!

Duffinvt

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
So nice to see you posting !! It is always great when someone decides to post and share their info. You obviously have lots of experience in the guinea pig dept. Good luck with your new guinea pigs. It sounds like you are off to a very good start with them !

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
Welcome....officially! lol
Glad to see your going to be more active on the forum! It would be nice to hear what information you have to share with us.
Sorry to hear about not getting to keep your other piggys, things happen though. I am glad to hear you have two new ones though! Its a good thing you were able to give them a better home! Id love to see pics of your cage and pigs, have you named them yet?

Hope to see your around the forum more often! :cheerful:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.