Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C C&C kits?

WinthropCavy

Cavy Slave
I've seen some C&C kits for sale that look pretty swell. Has anyone bought a kit and used it successfully? I've seen Sue's Kits online, and also kits from a company called Greystone. Given a somewhat crazy schedule, and being ALL THUMBS (no kidding), but being very good at following directions (!), I think a kit may work best for us. Any news to share? Thanks in advance!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Please do not buy from the stone company. They have just ripped off everything from me with no acknowledgements nor links anywhere.

Hundreds of people have purchased cages from Sue. Sue is my exclusive seller of C&C Cages and we work very closely together. A small portion of her sales go to help support this site.

If you go to the testimonials page, one of the fields at the top of each testimonial indicates whether they made the cage themselves or bought it from Sue. So, you'll see there are a mountain of happy customers who purchased the kit from Sue.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

WinthropCavy

Cavy Slave
Please do not buy from the stone company. They have just ripped off everything from me with no acknowledgements nor links anywhere.

Hundreds of people have purchased cages from Sue. Sue is my exclusive seller of C&C Cages and we work very closely together. A small portion of her sales go to help support this site.

If you go to the testimonials page, one of the fields at the top of each testimonial indicates whether they made the cage themselves or bought it from Sue. So, you'll see there are a mountain of happy customers who purchased the kit from Sue.

WinthropCavy

Cavy Slave
That's terrific! I might even be able to stop by in-person. I did look for reviews for the 2 X 3 cage, and saw nothing, so will review that site again. And if a portion of the sales go to keeping this site going and strong, that's even better. One last question: I've been trying to find any cavy rescue groups in New England; is it true that there are none? And wondering how you folks feel about 4H groups that are involved with cavies. In October, the Topsfield Fair -- the oldest county fair in the country! - is taking place, and they have a wonderful 4H barn with rabbits and cavies. The kids also put up a banner every year "Cavies are not rodents!" Since I will be looking for a new pet at that time, and the kids have a very active cavy and rabbit program, I was thinking of talking to the program coordinator about adopting. ?? Thanks again for sending me in Sue's direction - we're very excited about our first C&C cage, and her descriptions sound perfect!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thanks! All the testimonials are on this site and I haven't decided on a new testimonial system yet.

4H is basically buying from breeders. We strongly encourage you to go the adoption route instead. Maybe someday 4H will get a clue and start working closely with shelters. But in the meantime, they are just part of the problem and most definitely not part of the solution.

Please look for a rescue or shelter or private adoption in your area. There are rescues around. I'm still working on an updated list.

WinthropCavy

Cavy Slave
Yes, I'll be purchasing from Sue, who is close enough to where I live that I might even be able to purchase in-person (if she's good with that). Thanks for quick replies!!!! Sue's C&C kits look fantastic.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Great, and yes, you can pick up from her. Just send her a note via the contact form at the bottom of the main store page.

WinthropCavy

Cavy Slave
Hmmm...the kids here are breeding themselves - that's why they exhibit their cavies at the Fair. They can only do that if, like the kids who raise their own heifers, and ducks, etc,, they've bred them and raised them themselves! It's a program though the Aggie programs in the area. I'll find the coordinator and get the facts from her.
We're also fortunate to have a small, privately owned pet store that's managed by a fellow who used to run a guinea pig rescue in Burlington, VT. Sean was the only one who Beanie would allow to clip her nails, and he's very knowledgeable,compassionate guy (who currently is father to two guinea pigs who've both suffered strokes; he immediately took them in when he learned about them). While I normally wouldn't go to a pet store (and have actually reported a local shop for some really bad cavy management), he takes a very special approach to the pigs in his care. We have several shelters - MSCPA, Animal Rescue League (where I volunteer) - that also have piggies under their roofs.
Since I'm a TV producer, I've entertained the thought for a long time on some kind of special (or, if there was funding!) of a series on guinea pigs. Just letting you know -- my goodness, if meerkats could get their own series, can't see why cavies wouldn't qualify, do you?

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hi Winthrop,

Not quite sure where you are going with your points about the breeding and the nice pet store. But there are a lot of issues involved.

If we end up turning this thread into a breeding/pet store/4h discussion, we'll need to split off the post and start a new thread in the kitchen forum. In the face of pet overpopulation and animals being put down for lack of a home, we don't support the gray area here. We're hoping for the future that allows for that, but it isn't here yet.

The idea of a cavy show would be very cool. If you can sell it to management that would be really awesome! There is certainly plenty of material for it.

WinthropCavy

Cavy Slave
Understood. Thanks.

SweetiePig

Cavy Slave
How exciting! Glad your purchasing from her and helping the site too! Make sure to post pics when you get it all set up!

WinthropCavy

Cavy Slave

Krelean

Cavy Slave
i love our c & c cage! i made mine and have bought a sewing machine to make liners....im making them great. its easy! great set up

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I have bought coroplast from Sue in the past and it's always been a positive experience. It comes folded in a box, already scored and ready to go. It arrived quickly and she was always helpful with questions that I had. At the time, I didn't trust myself to score and cut the coroplast correctly but have since learned the ropes of how to put it together.

It's amazing how much of a difference it makes toward the happiness of the pigs. I got Louie (at the time, called Tiger) from Craigslist and up to that point, he had been kept in one of those small pet store cages. He didn't know what to do with himself once he was in the C&C cage. It was like a whole new world was opened up to him.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
i love our c & c cage! i made mine and have bought a sewing machine to make liners....im making them great. its easy! great set up

I wish I had a talent for sewing. There are so many cute things that can be made for the pigs.

Krelean

Cavy Slave
i'm determined to master most of what ive seen so far. i have an idea for a hay bin, i'm going to make a prototype and see if it works

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.