PDA

View Full Version : My Piggy

HannahlovesFern
09-05-11, 02:22 pm
My name is Brittney and I live in Ohio with my husband and my daughter and our little piggy, Fern!
We are planning on making a C&C cage soon and I came here to find more information on this.
We will be getting a friend for Fern once we make the cage.
Thank you!

bpatters
09-05-11, 02:31 pm
Welcome to the forum! We need pictures of Fern!

And Fern will probably be happier with a friend, but please do adopt from a rescue or a shelter, or even another person, rather than purchase -- the world is full of adorable GPs who need good homes.

There's info on the main page of this site, and also in the galleries. Have fun with your cage making.

HannahlovesFern
09-05-11, 02:40 pm
Thanks Bpatters, We can't get a friend till I make the CC cage, as she is in a pet store cage now. I didn't know it was too small. So we will be making a 2X4 cage then getting a friend. Our local SPCA has rescued guinea pigs, and I am talking to a local rescue "This little piggy and me" about it. But they only adopt out pairs.
I uploaded one picture....I still haven't quite figured out this website yet, this is my first forum based website.15101
She is 9 weeks old (almost 10) according to the pet store where we got her, but who knows if that is correct. I think she is younger than that.

bpatters
09-05-11, 03:01 pm
What a cutie! Talk to your local rescue again -- most have policies requiring adoption of a pair unless you've already got a single pig at home. They may require you to bring the pig in, but most will adopt a singleton out to be a buddy for another singleton at home.

HannahlovesFern
09-05-11, 03:07 pm
Thanks, I will ask them. I know they only have older Cavies though, I am not sure how my baby would get along with an older one since she is so young.

pinky
09-05-11, 03:17 pm
Check out Petfinder, Craigslist and Freecycle. You should be able to find a single female. I've also noticed that there does seem to be a trend to adopt out in pairs now. When guinea pigs come into a shelter or rescue as a pair, it would be cruel to separate them if they're already bonded. I think they also try and pair up singles so they have a buddy. I would rather get a single when I'm looking for a companion for a single guinea pig. Make sure you quarantine the new one before introducing it to yours. Age shouldn't be an issue. It's more about their temperaments and personalities.

HannahlovesFern
09-05-11, 03:37 pm
Thanks Pinky, I need as much info as possible about introducing and how long to keep them apart before hand. I will keep my store bought cage to keep the new one in for a bit before I introduce them I guess. I had been looking on craigslist for a while before we got Fern. The pet store near us had her in a cage with about 8 males that were twice the size as she was. She had a small scratch on her side which has healed and is gone. I am glad we got her so she wasn't there any longer, but I wish I could have found a rescued one. I feel like I rescued her though. I am glad she isn't pregnant though.

CavyMama
09-05-11, 03:46 pm
You mentioned wanting to know how long to keep them apart before introducing them. The new pig should be quarantined for 21 days. This also means not only in a separate cage but in a completely separate room and behind closed doors from Fern.

If she was in a cage with 8 males, I wouldn't be so sure that she isn't pregnant. Please have a vet check her out to confirm this.

SweetiePig
09-05-11, 04:00 pm
Your piggy is so adorable!!! Welcome to the forum!

HannahlovesFern
09-05-11, 04:08 pm
She was checked for her cut, she isn't pregnant. Thanks for the info!