Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Male and Female Pigs Together for 6 Months with No Pregnancy

jennypig

Cavy Slave
I have confirmed male and female pigs and they have lived together for 6 months. I see the male mounting the female, but she is not pregnant. I have taken her to the vet on two different occasions to confirm pregnancy, but there was nothing. The vet recently did an ultrasound and there was nothing. So, she may have had a litter and (dead or alive) they ate the litter.

Since she has never shown any signs of pregnancy, and I have seen them do the "dance of love" many MANY times, what is going on? I talked to the vet and he had no suggestions (other than the eating thing).

Does anyone out there have any suggestions? My husband thinks that perhaps one of them is sterile or that, as he says, "maybe the male just isn't doing it right." Is that possible? How can they "do it" incorrectly for 6 months?

Any feedback would be great.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't see any reason why guinea pigs can't have problems with infertility the same way humans do, but you're playing with fire by letting them stay together. Pregnancy is very hard on guinea pigs, with a high mortality rate for both mom and pups. Please reconsider keeping them together -- put a divider in their cage, have the male neutered, or swap one of them for another of the opposite sex. There are thousands of guinea pigs already in the world who need homes.

You said "confirmed" male and female pigs -- are you sure about that? They can sometimes be hard to sex, and even vets make mistakes. What you may have is two males, with one dominant enough that he does all the humping, or even two females, ditto.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.