Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Potty Training

Cavy Tamer

Cavy Slave
I recently purchased a dutch rabbit at a rabbit show. He is about 8 weeks old. Actually, I bought him today... I know its the first day and all, but he's already peed on me twice (the first time I didn't have any "protection") and pooped all over the floor. I put an a cardboard sheet on one side of the cage, and put all his poop there, as well as hay. He doesn't seem to be getting it so far...

How to teach him its not OK to defecate on me?

How to litter train him in general?

I would like him to one day be a free range rabbit.

dashtherabbit

Cavy Slave
I am no expert (new bunny owner too!) but him weeing on you is kind of a marking his teratory thing and it will stop, as for the training, just keep up what you are doing, I am also and I think its just a case of sticking with it. I am going out to buy a cat litter tray to put in the corner of the cage today.

bromers

Cavy Slave
its just a case of sticking to it. what your doing sounds fine, but they cant learn this stuff overnight. it took me 4months to get my bunny fully trained. show your rabbit how is boss.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Your rabbit is still a baby; and like most babies they cannot control their bowel movements very well. Do you have a litterbox in the cage? If not, I suggest you get one and put rabbit safe litter in there (aspen, wood stove pellets, yesterday's news, carefresh, etc) and a big handful of hay. It will take time for him to learn. When he gets to be around 3-4 months old, I suggest you get him neutered to help with litter training and any hormonal behavior.

When litter training outside of the cage, start in a small area (preferably in the kitchen or another easy-to-clean room). You may need multiple litter boxes at first. Many rabbits become excellent with their litter box, but many more still leave some droppings around. Thankfully their poops are easy to clean up, so this is something you may have to deal with.

Check out these links: https://rabbit.org/faq/sections/litter.html

and (broken link removed)

Cavy Tamer

Cavy Slave
My rabbit is not really getting the whole concept that he is not allowed to poop on the floor. How exactly do I convince him that he shouldn't do it? Do I say "no!", do I take him back to his cage every time he does it...

I don't like having to put him on "time outs" all the time...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Whenever you think he is about to pee or poo on the floor, place him in his litterbox. If he does poo on the floor, place the poos in the litterbox.

Cavy Tamer

Cavy Slave
bunnyluv17 said:
Whenever you think he is about to pee or poo on the floor, place him in his litterbox. If he does poo on the floor, place the poos in the litterbox.

I've been putting the droppings in the box, but he's not really getting the message...

When I do try and put him in the box, he tries to run away.

lilliesmomma

Cavy Slave
I never forcebly put mine in his litterbox. All of his poop would be picked up and placed in his litter box - and that included what he did in his cage. He also may be marking his territory, that's a natural thing to do.

Where ever he is "piling" his poop in his cage, scoop the poop and place it in the litter box and then put the litter box in that spot. It will take a few weeks. Even though they start using their litter box you will still find random droppings on your floor (NOT a pile of them) this is their territorial behavior.

april

Cavy Slave
How's the littertraining going?

Cavy Tamer

Cavy Slave
april said:
How's the littertraining going?

Great!

He hasn't done anything outside his cage or litter box in over a month.

april

Cavy Slave
Good! I can't wait until Nicki is that well trained. It's going well- I'm just ready for no more poo everywhere.

Cavy Tamer

Cavy Slave
april said:
Good! I can't wait until Nicki is that well trained. It's going well- I'm just ready for no more poo everywhere.

Yeah, just keep throwing the pellets into the litter box.... that should do the trick.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.